Food and drink thread

Are you doing them in fat or on a griddle placed directly above a gas burner.

A tin can is a steel can with a thin coating of tin.

Gas burner ----- 10000 C at flame, at least 6000 C on a griddle surface

Lard ---------------smoke point ~2000 C

Tin melting point: 2210 C, though tin-vapour release is probably higher for a tin can because the mobile tin will fuse into an alloy with the steel at high temperatures

http://www.therange.co.uk/home_and_furniture_housewares_cookware_bakeware/dept/fcp-category/list?resetFilters=true#page=4&productsPerPage=16

i.e. you run the risk of both inhaling tin vapour and marking your cooker.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Are you doing them in fat or on a griddle placed directly above a gas burner.

A tin can is a steel can with a thin coating of tin.

Gas burner ----- 10000 C at flame, at least 6000 C on a griddle surface

Lard ---------------smoke point ~2000 C

Tin melting point: 2210 C, though tin-vapour release is probably higher for a tin can because the mobile tin will fuse into an alloy with the steel at high temperatures

http://www.therange.co.uk/home_and_furniture_housewares_cookware_bakeware/dept/fcp-category/list?resetFilters=true#page=4&productsPerPage=16

i.e. you run the risk of both inhaling tin vapour and marking your cooker.

The latter, probably a dry frying pan.

I managed to find of couple of presentation rings at Asda, they're not big enough but it'll be reet. Smaller crumpets.

Edited by hindle xiii

I agree there. I have even seen some vegans saying that if you don't go vegan like, straightway, you may as well not bother.

Ridiculous, and liable to put off potential Vegans, so they're not helping their cause either. Reminds me of that character in 'The Simpsons' who claims to be an 8th-level vegan - he doesn't eat anything that casts a shadow. :rolleyes: 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The latter, probably a dry frying pan.

I managed to find of couple of presentation rings at Asda, they're not big enough but it'll be reet. Smaller crumpets.

Cocktail Crumpets! Ooh, very a la mode. ;) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

There are actually vegans like that. They think someone stopping eating meat but not becoming extreme are 'harming the cause'. They even have a go at regular vegetarians. As you say, ridiculous.

I blame the RFL.

Crumpets seem like puff pasty in that its a lot less fuss to by them ready made and you're not really gaining much by making them yourselves. I admire the effort though. 

One a side note, my missus bullied me into ordering one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HACIENDA-STEEL-PIZZA-CHIMENEA-CHIMINEA/dp/B004HU48S4/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1370361163&sr=1-2&keywords=pizza+oven

Hasn't arrived yet so I don't know whether it is a genius purchase or another foodie gadget that never gets used.

Fides invicta triumphat

Crumpets seem like puff pasty in that its a lot less fuss to by them ready made and you're not really gaining much by making them yourselves. I admire the effort though. 

One a side note, my missus bullied me into ordering one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HACIENDA-STEEL-PIZZA-CHIMENEA-CHIMINEA/dp/B004HU48S4/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1370361163&sr=1-2&keywords=pizza+oven

Hasn't arrived yet so I don't know whether it is a genius purchase or another foodie gadget that never gets used.

If you don't use it for pizza, it's quite a nice heat source for sitting outdoors on an evening.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm finding that I'm eating a lot less meat recently. Partly this is due to the cost of responsibly sourced meat but also to keep my calorie intake under control. I joke about vegetarians but I'm really only refer to the militant type who have a right bee in their bonnet about someone else's choice to eat meat. 

I agree there. I have even seen some vegans saying that if you don't go vegan like, straightway, you may as well not bother.

Stay strong boys, stay strong.....

I've been moving steadily towards cheaper cuts of better-quality meat in my diet. They take longer to make good, but the results are worth it. With suppliers like Donald Russell, you might wince at the cost of, say, a beef steak or joint, but cuts like cheek, tail, rib trim are well priced and delicious. Last time I had a fillet steak, I appreciated the tenderness, but was disappointed by the lack of deep beef flavour.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

I quite like Nigel Slater's shows.

Now that Greg Wallace .... I could only warm to him if I had a flat iron handy.

He knocks some decent stuff out

But he seems lonely

He seems to be always making supper for one

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I've been moving steadily towards cheaper cuts of better-quality meat in my diet. They take longer to make good, but the results are worth it. With suppliers like Donald Russell, you might wince at the cost of, say, a beef steak or joint, but cuts like cheek, tail, rib trim are well priced and delicious. Last time I had a fillet steak, I appreciated the tenderness, but was disappointed by the lack of deep beef flavour.

I'm going in the other direction: I'm teaching myself to cook steak properly

I get a bit irritated by the patronising attitude of people on tv who say that people on a limited budget should buy cheap meat forgetting that cooking the stuff knocks hell out if a limited energy bill

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

Keeping it local

I get a bit irritated by the patronising attitude of people on tv who say that people on a limited budget should buy cheap meat forgetting that cooking the stuff knocks hell out if a limited energy bill

I don't think choosing cheap cuts should be limited to people on a tight budget, and a slow cooker uses about as much electricity as a filament lightbulb.

As for cooking steak, try Heston Blumenthal's method of flipping it every 15-20 seconds. It gives good results, and never forget to let the meat come up to room temperature before cooking and to rest it afterwards before eating.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Maybe they should learn to collect wood and cook on a real fire, or dig fire pits. ;)

I don't think choosing cheap cuts should be limited to people on a tight budget, and a slow cooker uses about as much electricity as a filament lightbulb.

As for cooking steak, try Heston Blumenthal's method of flipping it every 15-20 seconds. It gives good results, and never forget to let the meat come up to room temperature before cooking and to rest it afterwards before eating.

I'm a big fan of ol' Heston and I've done that technique of taking it out of the wrapping and let it sit on a wire rack in the fridge for two days and then frying it intensely for 20 seconds at a time. It's really good. Although it helps it you start with the best cut you can afford first.

I found when it comes to letting meat rest a while, it will cool down, but it's a piping hot sauce/gravy/butter that warms it up again.

I'm a big fan of ol' Heston and I've done that technique of taking it out of the wrapping and let it sit on a wire rack in the fridge for two days and then frying it intensely for 20 seconds at a time. It's really good. Although it helps it you start with the best cut you can afford first.

I found when it comes to letting meat rest a while, it will cool down, but it's a piping hot sauce/gravy/butter that warms it up again.

I wrap it in foil to rest, and keep it on a rack over the (still hot, but off the hob) pan.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I wrap it in foil to rest, and keep it on a rack over the (still hot, but off the hob) pan.

I was tempted to try his 60deg chicken recipe, low and slow, but everyone else is a bit squeamish and I couldn't find a chicken small enough for one!

I agree with you

I'm a long and slow fan

As for the steak that's pretty much what I do

I get my meat from this place in Sheffield that you have to be a member of and you can only join if you are a public servant some good gear and very cheap

Keeping it local

I agree with you

I'm a long and slow fan

As for the steak that's pretty much what I do

I get my meat from this place in Sheffield that you have to be a member of and you can only join if you are a public servant some good gear and very cheap

That's a bit too League of Gentleman for my liking. Hilary's special stuff.