England to play Italy in historic first international

History will be made on Saturday October 19 when England and Italy play their first ever Rugby League international in a friendly fixture at Salford.

The match will take place just seven days before England kick-off Rugby League World Cup 2013 against Australia in the opening fixture of the 14-nation tournament at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium, where Italy face Wales on the same day in an eagerly-anticipated double-header.

Click here to view the article

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will have to see about coming up for that one

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

I don't think that WC warm up games should be played in venues which will be hosting actual WC matches. As for the match itself, a lot depends on what sort of squad Italy bring over, but you'd expect England wouldn't be too troubled by them.

It should have been Lebanon

It would have been nice if some of the sides that didn't qualify could've been used by sides in the WC for warm up games, although then I guess we're back to the old issue of finances. I'm sure the likes of Lebanon would've loved to have tested themselves against one of the WC sides.

Edited by thirteenthman

Didn't Italy play England and France in a triangular tournament in 52/53?

Regardless if nothing else this match will prove to be a good warm up for England leading into their clash against Australia.  Italy will be forming a relatively strong squad and will be keen to show everyone how competitive they can be.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Italy beat Russia this past week 38-18. Captained by the Australian Ray Nasso the Avignon hooker who was MOTM in this years Lord Derby Cup Final. Other French based players included centre Christophe Calegari & prop Cedric Prizzon.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

I remember barla beating Italy in 2000 world cup , I think the coach of Italy played in it, with a lot of nrl players also. cant see them being a test for England!

My abiding memories of GB BARLA at Dewsbury are a supporter with a bell and BARLA refusing to lend Italy a kicking tee to kick off with

The Morocco squad were there (I read that the Moroccan RFU intends abolishing them if possible in Lesgue Express this week) as were USA Women

Didn't Italy play England and France in a triangular tournament in 52/53?

Maybe that was Great Britain?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

My abiding memories of GB BARLA at Dewsbury are a supporter with a bell and BARLA refusing to lend Italy a kicking tee to kick off with

The Morocco squad were there (I read that the Moroccan RFU intends abolishing them if possible in Lesgue Express this week) as were USA Women

I remember the crowd singing "who let the dogs out" all the game, I don't know why tho! I think the barla team was a very strong one at the time. I will try and find a team list

I think it will be a great game, as mentioned with the NRL players in the Italian squad it could be pretty entertaining where the ball gets some air and attack is the order of the day.

Edited by AndyCapp

We'll be battle hardened for the world cup opener then, nothing like hammering a team full of part timers to prepare a side.

What a farce, they'd have been better off playing a team made up of players from the Championship.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

We'll be battle hardened for the world cup opener then, nothing like hammering a team full of part timers to prepare a side.

What a farce, they'd have been better off playing a team made up of players from the Championship.

Not sure about that.

Anthony Minichello

Mark  Minichello

Aidan Guerra

Shaun Berrigan

Vic Mauro

Craig Gower

James Tedesco

Anthony Laffranchi

Cameron Ciraldo

Kade Snowden

Terry Campese

Add some local Italians to complete the team.

That team is not much worse than the Exiles team

http://www.tntmagazine.com/news/australia-news/italys-nrl-stars-to-turn-out-in-rugby-league-world-cup-for-free

I remember the crowd singing "who let the dogs out" all the game, I don't know why tho! I think the barla team was a very strong one at the time. I will try and find a team list

BARLA team was...

1. Dave Hedgecock

2. Stephen Norton

3. Phil O'Neil

4. Darrell Cooper

5. Wayne McHugh

6. Darren Jones

7. Terry Lynn

8. Stuart Dancer

9. Mark Jackson

10. Nigel Halmshaw

11. Brian Newby

12. Ian Devlin

13. Scott Fletcher

Sub: Rob Shaw, Paul Davidson, Phil Sherwen, Paul Birdsall

An international team full of Aussies who cant get in their national side - just what the game needs.

No different than the last World Cup, Australia supplied about 100 "heritage players" to various teams.

If that is changed then the World Cup will become a comp of three strong teams and a bunch of park players in the rest of the teams.

I am neither for or against it.

BARLA team was...

1. Dave Hedgecock

2. Stephen Norton

3. Phil O'Neil

4. Darrell Cooper

5. Wayne McHugh

6. Darren Jones

7. Terry Lynn

8. Stuart Dancer

9. Mark Jackson

10. Nigel Halmshaw

11. Brian Newby

12. Ian Devlin

13. Scott Fletcher

Sub: Rob Shaw, Paul Davidson, Phil Sherwen, Paul Birdsall

thanks!

i agree it should have been given to a staidum that didnt get a WC game, Keepmoat (should have had a WC game, rather than two at Craven Park), Halton Stadium or Bramall Lane (or even reebok).

I will be going though.

Who will the other host nation play against in their warm up game? France?

Not a fan of the choice of venue. Having it played in Italy would have been ideal, failing that a venue that didn't have a WC fixture. I'd say alot of the crowd for this match will be picking instead of and not aswell as a WC game.

Also a risky choice of opposition for England, if they slip up against a team seen as a minnow one week out from the World Cup it won't be a good look. Hopefully any media in the lead up to the game promotes the strength of the Italian team because they won't be shirt of NRL players

thought it was announced last week.

Not officially, but some reporters mentioned it in articles

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Not officially announced last week, confirmed today

Will Sky go for this seen as they missed out on the WC? or does the fact it is on the Saturday mean it will be a 14:30 ko on the bbc. (or PS?)

I would prefer it to be on the bbc so it is in line with the world cup