Ditching Sky

After not watching the SL Grand Final due to being out at a gig and not watching any of the recent cricket series I wondered why I have Sky Sports. Then i wondered why I have Sky at all. I decided I had no good reason to part with £800 a year.

Looking at alternatives I can't get Virgin here, BT is a bit thin on content so why not go subscription free? Anybody got exprience with FreeSat, NowTV or similar? With NowTV you can get SkySports for £6.99 for a single day's viewing.

P.S. No illegal solutions please!

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Having the chance to pick and choose might be a good idea. Do other subscription broadcasters have day-passes too? Or is it just Sky?

But do your sums, in case you end up spending even more with one-off purchases.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Find a decent pub and go watch the SL games next season in it with some mates.  The £20 or so a week you'll have saved will help pay your own costs of the beers on the night.  Either that, or use it for paying for the game tickets in a year.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

We moved out of a Virgin TV area and tried just going down the Freeview / Netflix / Amazon route.

3 years later and I've no desire to get a dish installed. Very happy with the choices available, I don't get premiership footy but don't care. I don't get any Rugby other than the Challenge Cup & 6 Nations but for matches I want to see that are on Sky I'll either go or watch in the Pub.

Of course that is all based on whether you have the right kind of pub near enough to where you live. 

And if you want NRL (live or delayed), the chances are slimmer still, unless you go down the illegal route.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I like now tv. Using offers you can get entertainment for around a fiver a month to watch box sets plus a small number of live channels like sky1 and atlantic.

Buying a crate of carling for a tenner at the moment gets a free sky sports day pass (worth 7 quid) if you dont mind drinking that.

After not watching the SL Grand Final due to being out at a gig and not watching any of the recent cricket series I wondered why I have Sky Sports. Then i wondered why I have Sky at all. I decided I had no good reason to part with £800 a year.

Looking at alternatives I can't get Virgin here, BT is a bit thin on content so why not go subscription free? Anybody got exprience with FreeSat, NowTV or similar? With NowTV you can get SkySports for £6.99 for a single day's viewing.

P.S. No illegal solutions please!

Unfortunately,illegal solutions are the best solutions to this problem.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Keep asking for a deal, until you get at least 50% off your subs.

I'm going to do that but from a position whereby I can walk away to a plan B that I'm happy with. In fact, I'll do it even if I've already decided to leave.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Sky without the Champions league is not the same.

However they do show every world cup qualifier which is of interest to me.

I also like the Speedway.

I would miss the rugby league especially so on balance it is still worth it for me.

Sky without the Champions league is not the same.

However they do show every world cup qualifier which is of interest to me.

I also like the Speedway.

I would miss the rugby league especially so on balance it is still worth it for me.

And me.

Its also worth noting that we should try and support our sponsors. We would be in the cart without their money.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I haven't had Sky Sports for 15 years, because there are times when all there is on there is Soccer, across all 4 channels.

I had Premier Sports until the RFL cancelled the contract.

The Only "Sports" channels I now watch are, 407, 410, 411, 415, Motors, and 464. Which are "free", although you need a Sky sub.

Although I am challenging for 428 Premier sports next year for NRL

I have BT Fibre so get free BT sport for the rugby (RU - there are other sports available too apparently).

We have Amazon Prime which gives us a very decent set of films and series to watch streamed through the X-box, plus we get next day delivery on Amazon orders (if you have a Kindle and enjoy reading then with Amazon Prime instead of next delivery you can opt for slower delivery, 3-5 days, and get a £1 credit to spend on Kindle books instead).

I have a NOW TV box plugged into the TV and buy the occasional sports day pass (watch out on Amazon on Black Friday days they often sell Now TV boxes with a couple of Sport day passes for less than the cost of the individual passes - I buy these and now have a couple of spare Now tv boxes).

My TV has a built in freesat tuner so when I ditched SKY I just plugged the cable into my TV.

I have a HDD plugged into my TV which I can use like SKY+ to record films to watch later.

:fie:  :bad:

I had no idea it cost so much.

It won't do if I ring them back and threaten to cancel. That's one of the things that annoys me.

Sky sports football had a 20% loss of audience so far this season.  Sky are in for tough times if that continues.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Sky sports football had a 20% loss of audience so far this season.  Sky are in for tough times if that continues.

The NFL have had a similar drop.  It may reflect global viewing habits.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• 2 weeks later...

Chatting about all this at work.  I pay around £30 a month for sky, and I watch pretty much all BBC, C4 and the odd bit of Sky Atlantic.

I was thinking of getting an Apple TV box, and stream most channels I need, with Now TV for Game of Thrones, etc?

It has made me think do I actually need Sky?  I have fibre broadband, I don't watch that much tv?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Hmm just seen that Now TV isn't full HD.

I'd assume that that feature will come soon enough. Is the current lack of it a deal-breaker for you?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'd assume that that feature will come soon enough. Is the current lack of it a deal-breaker for you?

Its borderline for things like Game of Thrones and Westworld.  

But guessing BBC iPlayer is 1080p?

Its borderline for things like Game of Thrones and Westworld.  

But guessing BBC iPlayer is 1080p?

You could go on iTunes, buy season passes for HD version those and around 15 other series and STILL save lots of money.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

You could go on iTunes, buy season passes for HD version those and around 15 other series and STILL save lots of money.

Didn't think of iTunes.  Are episodes available at same time as broadcast?

Archived