Board recommends March-November season for community game.

Statement from The RFL and BARLA on the community game season

The RFL and BARLA have agreed to work closely together to find the best possible way forward for the sport following the Community Board

Genuinely positive news.

Not least that BARLA and the RFL seem able to agree on something!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Genuinely positive news.

I agree. It's about time. I think the biggest issues that will arise with this will be around the youth game and the transition from youth to adult rugby.

Not least that BARLA and the RFL seem able to agree on something!

This is one of the modern harbingers of the apocalypse. If I find that they agreed on the biscuits they chose for the meeting then we're stuffed.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The Community Board accepts that some leagues will continue to play during the winter months and also that there are a number of detailed issues to work through.

We'll see how it pans out! Good starter for 10 though.

Edited by shrek

Genuinely brilliant news for the game IMO.

Yes, I know there are many that don't like playing rugby in summer, but I think there are just as many arguments for not playing in winter (i.e. "too hot/ground too hard" vs "too cold/poor conditions/games called off") and just as many people sit on each side of the fence.

The kicker is that it brings the game in line with each other. We will benefit as a game in the elite more from this. Kids playing and developing in the same conditions they would at elite level. Late developers playing and developing in the same conditions as they would at elite level. And also club development would be better. If all the top amateur clubs are playing in summer, then non-heartlands clubs can play at a more appropriate level. Clubs that are struggling can drop down a peg and still be competing. There's more competition. It's better for the development of the game.

I do feel for those that don't like playing in summer though. I trained on Wednesday with the wrong kind of studs (can't really afford loads of different kinds of boots) and my ankles feel bad still. With a bigger market though, we may see better summer-boots available for rugby league players.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Genuinely brilliant news for the game IMO.

Yes, I know there are many that don't like playing rugby in summer, but I think there are just as many arguments for not playing in winter (i.e. "too hot/ground too hard" vs "too cold/poor conditions/games called off") and just as many people sit on each side of the fence.

The kicker is that it brings the game in line with each other. We will benefit as a game in the elite more from this. Kids playing and developing in the same conditions they would at elite level. Late developers playing and developing in the same conditions as they would at elite level. And also club development would be better. If all the top amateur clubs are playing in summer, then non-heartlands clubs can play at a more appropriate level. Clubs that are struggling can drop down a peg and still be competing. There's more competition. It's better for the development of the game.

I do feel for those that don't like playing in summer though. I trained on Wednesday with the wrong kind of studs (can't really afford loads of different kinds of boots) and my ankles feel bad still. With a bigger market though, we may see better summer-boots available for rugby league players.

aye

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Crying poverty again :rolleyes:

definatly NOT good news. why is this good news. simply marhinalised the game even further. it restricts many thousands of people. both Adult and children from playing the sport.

No facilities - schools are closed for summer. that will cause many many amateur clubs to fold.

Lack of numbers. Many players play cricket in summer. many players simply want to go on hols with family.

Many many more injuries in summer. my club has lost 5 players over the last 2 summer seasons to horrifying injuries because of the hard ground, indeed i did tib & fib doing the same thing.

This is s blatant attempt by RFL to force people to play in summer only. at present there are 2 options for players. they choose winter rather than summer. thats for a reason.

I know my club would fold as would probably at least 50% of the league i play in, pennine league.

definatly NOT good news. why is this good news. simply marhinalised the game even further. it restricts many thousands of people. both Adult and children from playing the sport.

Nonsense. The same can be said both ways. Winter restricts many thousands as well. Not to mention, winter actually causes many games to be called off, so you could say that it restricts millions.

No facilities - schools are closed for summer. that will cause many many amateur clubs to fold.

Schools just close shop do they? I'm pretty sure most schools still allow their facilities to be used through summer.

Lack of numbers. Many players play cricket in summer.

Very very few players play cricket during summer. More players play rugby union/football/other sports during the winter than play cricket during the summer. If anything, we're opening up to more. It's a terrible argument.

many players simply want to go on hols with family.

Then they can go. It's only 1-2 games missed. It's not like all the players go on holiday at once. I play in summer, and I'm still going on holiday.

Many many more injuries in summer. my club has lost 5 players over the last 2 summer seasons to horrifying injuries because of the hard ground, indeed i did tib & fib doing the same thing.

Many players are injured during the winter as well. Poor pitches and conditions can lead to clumsy play.

If clubs look after their pitches well during the hottest months (i.e. water them sufficiently), and players are advised to get suitable equipment, then this will become less of an issue. It's easier to water a hard pitch than it is to unfreeze a frozen pitch.

This is s blatant attempt by RFL to force people to play in summer only. at present there are 2 options for players. they choose winter rather than summer. thats for a reason.

Yes, that reason is that the winter leagues are a better standard, as the summer leagues are relatively new, and in many areas aren't even much of an option. It's not because people prefer playing in winter conditions, if that's what you're getting at. In Hull, I never had the option of summer rugby, so I had to play winter. Could I not argue that this is BARLA's way of forcing me to play winter rugby?

The RFL wouldn't move it to summer, and BARLA wouldn't agree to it, if there wasn't good precedent for it.

I know my club would fold as would probably at least 50% of the league i play in, pennine league.

If they get their recruitment policies right, they could get more numbers than they had before due to other people being out of season in their sports.

Very good news indeed, although I think that a winter season should still be available for open age teams if there is sufficient demand.

That's the plan, though the NCL and the reserve teams of NCL clubs it's got to be certain will switch by 2012 and BARLA plan to move across, though maybe more slowly. Juniors will also be early to switch. There's enough clubs in Yorkshire or Lancashire that if some want to stay winter it won't wreck the pyramid, a split in Hull or Cumberland may be more of an issue (though I expect the desire to play summer will be high in Cumberland for obvious weather reasons)

can see the points you are making wellsy but i still disagree with some of them.

yes players do get injured in winter, its part of the game, but from my experience there are a hell of a lot more in summer, and thats with vastly fewer games been played.

Schools DO close in holidays. we cannot play at our ground during any holidays.they dont open up.

Dpeendant on where you live in terms of cricket, but there are a hell of a lot of rugby players round here that play halifax/bradford league cricket. footballers can play sunday league in winter.

The majority of amateur players simply dont want to play summer rugby ptherwise they would go play it. the few that do, tend to play all year round anyway. why change it. they gave clubs the option a few years back and few took it up. Dudley hill gave it a go, and gave it up.

if players want to play summer, then they can , the standard is pretty high with the likes of Bramley etc.

The majority of amateur players simply dont want to play summer rugby ptherwise they would go play it.

If this is true then why have a clear majority of players (over 1,000 took part in a survey conducted by an independent research specialst) voted in favour of switching to summer?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

can see the points you are making wellsy but i still disagree with some of them.

yes players do get injured in winter, its part of the game, but from my experience there are a hell of a lot more in summer, and thats with vastly fewer games been played.

My experiences differ to yours then.

Schools DO close in holidays. we cannot play at our ground during any holidays.they dont open up.

All the schools around me have summer-time activities going on. I used to work in a school during the summer that took on sports. You must be at one of the few that don't open. I'm sure something can be arranged if the club tried, as it would be another source of revenue for the school.

Dpeendant on where you live in terms of cricket, but there are a hell of a lot of rugby players round here that play halifax/bradford league cricket. footballers can play sunday league in winter.

Are you one of those cricketers by any chance?

When I have played in winter, very few have had summer sports activities (that weren't also rugby league). At Akkies, we have a hell of a lot of union players, many of which have never played league before but love it. The more we give these guys a chance to not only try the sport at a lower level (and then build them up as they develop on interest as well as their skill), the more playing numbers we will get.

We're going to get more cross-overs with union than we are with cricket.

The majority of amateur players simply dont want to play summer rugby ptherwise they would go play it. the few that do, tend to play all year round anyway. why change it. they gave clubs the option a few years back and few took it up. Dudley hill gave it a go, and gave it up.

if players want to play summer, then they can , the standard is pretty high with the likes of Bramley etc.

Bramley are a good side, but they are too good for that league. The standards across it differ immensely.

And I disagree about your point about players switching if they wanted to. You're looking at it as if it is a black and white option, when in fact it's a lot of different greys. It's not a case of just playing a sport in different temperatures. People are attached to their clubs. They want to play with their social groups. Or play in a certain area against certain teams with certain rivalries of a certain standard. These options aren't open to everyone who wants to play summer rugby. This is why many have voted to switch the LEAGUES to summer, rather than just vote with their feet and pick a new summer club.

Bringing it to summer also brings it in line with the rest of RL over here. And there will still be some winter options for those that seriously don't want to play in summer. If your club does not want to play in summer, it will probably still have the chance to play in winter. The standards may be down, but if it's good enough for the summer teams IYO then it should be good enough for the winter teams.

Schools DO close in the summer.

However, North Derbyshire Chargers play at a school in the summer, Redditch Ravens played at a school last summer, Sheffield Forgers played all summer long at a school before the club ceased playing (for four seasons), Chargers have been offered to play at Eckington School (during the summer). Thats just three working examples.

Schools DO close in the summer.

However, North Derbyshire Chargers play at a school in the summer, Redditch Ravens played at a school last summer, Sheffield Forgers played all summer long at a school before the club ceased playing (for four seasons), Chargers have been offered to play at Eckington School (during the summer). Thats just three working examples.

Absolutely: it isn't as if they lock all the kids up in a cupboard until Septembr is it? The Summer hols is an opportunity not a drawback.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

im not a cricketer, no, summer is for relaxing and enjoying the sunshine. winter is for rugby, footbal whatever. just my opinion.

Only people to benefit from this change are the union bods who will attract a hell of a lot of lads who want to play rugby only in winter.

What will those kids do who who play rugby all winter, theyll be lost to fottball or union too.

have a look at some of the forums around that are for the winter leagues and you will find a lot of discontent at the moment.

anyways, i guess we`ll just have to wait and see what happens.