thank you richard lewis

7 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

If GB is being brought back I think it should be as the official national team (and NOT something equivalent to the British and Irish Lions in rugby union) and for All competitions, including the world cup. Obviously Scotland and Wales would have to agree to this. I would leave out Ireland because if you include them then you have to do what the rugby union Lions do and not use the union jack or play GSTQ, as well as being careful always to refer to the team correctly as Great Britain and Ireland or The Lions. You can't include Ireland and then treat them disrespectfully by ignoring them in the team name and singing GSTQ and putting union jacks on the wall in the changing room. If you're only playing once every four years in a special event like the rugby union Lions do, it's ok to not have much of an identity beyond being 'Lions' from four different countries, but it wouldn't make sense for a team that is playing regularly to not have much of an identity. If I'm going to watch GB at Wembley, I want us to be able to use the union flag and sing GSTQ without fear of upsetting anyone.

Some people say that GB would give an opportunity to a standout Welsh or Scottish player to play alongside the best English players in a team that could realistically challenge the Australians (because with the best will in the world the Wales and Scotland teams aren't going to do that on their own for many years). I agree with those people, but surely it then needs to be GB all the time? Otherwise, that standout player gets to play for GB one year and then has to spend the next three years playing for Wales or Scotland back alongside inferior players. That seems a bit unfair. When Brian Carney was playing there were GB matches every year. He didn't play one year and then spend the next three years playing for Ireland. I'm not suggesting that players wouldn't be proud to play for Scotland, Wales or Ireland, but let's be honest about things - most top sportsmen and women want to play at the highest level they can and in the biggest stadiums and biggest events. If you've toured with GB and played Australia in Brisbane in front of 30000 plus fans, do you really then want to spend the next three years playing for, say, Wales in front of 5000 in Wrexham? At the same time watching the English players that you played alongside for GB last year, now playing in front of big crowds and in big home series against the Aussies and NZ because England has the support and the opportunities to do that. Isn't this precisely the situation that someone like Regan Grace might find themselves in? He could be selected for GB in 2019 and play and be amazing. Then come 2020 he'll be sitting with his feet up watching England play the Kangaroos.

I can see you have thought long and hard about this (circa 14 months).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you cared about international RL you wouldn't be suggesting scrapping 3 or 4 international teams and having 1 instead..

GB,at the moment,is utterly pointless..it'll be England in different jerseys and Wales,Scotland & Ireland's best players are either English or Australian...do you want Australians playing for GB? And if you have to shoe horn players like Regan grace into GB just cos he's Welsh then they are in for a hiding..

I could destroy the rest of it...but I'll go easy on you lol

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

1 hour ago, roughyedspud said:

I could destroy the rest of it...but I'll go easy on you lol

Don't hold back on my account. I'm curious to read your destruction. What exactly did I say that was inaccurate?

Furthermore, I didn't suggest that GB should be brought back - my post began with "IF". It's the RFL that is suggesting they should be brought back for a tour next year. What I did was give my opinion as to how I think GB should be, if indeed there is a desire from the RFL to bring them back in some way or other.

42 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Don't hold back on my account. I'm curious to read your destruction. What exactly did I say that was inaccurate?

Furthermore, I didn't suggest that GB should be brought back - my post began with "IF". It's the RFL that is suggesting they should be brought back for a tour next year. What I did was give my opinion as to how I think GB should be, if indeed there is a desire from the RFL to bring them back in some way or other.

Big lad, I agree with EVERYTHING you say!( I like me as it is thanks) Even if it is bolox :)

Just now, kiyan said:

Big lad, I agree with EVERYTHING you say!( I like me as it is thanks) Even if it is bolox :)

PS I am Irish so as well as having a reputation for ; I also am throwing out there that you shouldn't kill a leprechaun! Lol

5 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

The one person who was advocating bringing GB back has just ridden into the sunset. In true RL style he failed to secure any tangible agreement or schedule for the GB tour in 2019. So IMO GB not even happen at all if the new person isn't in favour.

3 hours ago, Scubby said:

The one person who was advocating bringing GB back has just ridden into the sunset. In true RL style he failed to secure any tangible agreement or schedule for the GB tour in 2019. So IMO GB not even happen at all if the new person isn't in favour.

Which in itself would be embarrassing for RL given the announcements that were made last year regarding the return of the Lions. If you google "Great Britain Lions 2019" you get a whole page of news reports about it - BBC, Guardian, Telegraph, Skysports, etc. They even mention it being "confirmed" by the RLIF. I think it would be difficult to back out of it now having made such an announcement. If you're a newspaper or media outlet and you've reported on the announcement, you're not going to be too impressed if it doesn't then happen. It wouldn't make you very keen to report rugby league stories in the future if you thought that what you were being told wasn't actually going to happen. You're wasting your time writing something.

Assuming that a GB tour does go ahead, I'm interested to see who we will be playing. Is it likely that we'll be playing Australia three times or only once? How many international matches is it reasonable to expect GB to play on this tour? I would imagine at least 5 given that we used to do that during a Tri-Nations series. 

No reason we can’t have both. If having GB every 4 years means that likes of Sneyd plays for Ireland and award plays for Wales at World Cups, the. We have the strongest possible international landscape. Not that this should stop grassroots development in those countries. Hopefully strong performances would bring more visibility and encourage it

9 minutes ago, JoneslessBishop said:

No reason we can’t have both. If having GB every 4 years means that likes of Sneyd plays for Ireland and award plays for Wales at World Cups, the. We have the strongest possible international landscape. Not that this should stop grassroots development in those countries. Hopefully strong performances would bring more visibility and encourage it

Does that mean that you see GB (and Ireland?) as being a RL equivalent of the rugby union British and Irish Lions? The only difference, I assume, is that whereas the RU Lions rotate between touring and playing Australia, South Africa, and New Zealand, the RL Lions would play a wider number of teams - Australia, New Zealand, Papa New Guinea, Tonga, Fiji, perhaps?

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I think we should listen to what this new poster has to say, assuming that is he is new and not a returnee.:smile:

That's another strange reply. I know rugby league is a northern game but I wasn't expecting the forum to be like Royston Vasey. I'm not local, but I am new. I'm guessing you suspect me of being someone else though, right?

On 18/01/2018 at 8:19 PM, 17 stone giant said:

If GB is being brought back I think it should be as the official national team (and NOT something equivalent to the British and Irish Lions in rugby union) and for All competitions, including the world cup. Obviously Scotland and Wales would have to agree to this. I would leave out Ireland because if you include them then you have to do what the rugby union Lions do and not use the union jack or play GSTQ, as well as being careful always to refer to the team correctly as Great Britain and Ireland or The Lions. You can't include Ireland and then treat them disrespectfully by ignoring them in the team name and singing GSTQ and putting union jacks on the wall in the changing room. If you're only playing once every four years in a special event like the rugby union Lions do, it's ok to not have much of an identity beyond being 'Lions' from four different countries, but it wouldn't make sense for a team that is playing regularly to not have much of an identity. If I'm going to watch GB at Wembley, I want us to be able to use the union flag and sing GSTQ without fear of upsetting anyone.

Some people say that GB would give an opportunity to a standout Welsh or Scottish player to play alongside the best English players in a team that could realistically challenge the Australians (because with the best will in the world the Wales and Scotland teams aren't going to do that on their own for many years). I agree with those people, but surely it then needs to be GB all the time? Otherwise, that standout player gets to play for GB one year and then has to spend the next three years playing for Wales or Scotland back alongside inferior players. That seems a bit unfair. When Brian Carney was playing there were GB matches every year. He didn't play one year and then spend the next three years playing for Ireland. I'm not suggesting that players wouldn't be proud to play for Scotland, Wales or Ireland, but let's be honest about things - most top sportsmen and women want to play at the highest level they can and in the biggest stadiums and biggest events. If you've toured with GB and played Australia in Brisbane in front of 30000 plus fans, do you really then want to spend the next three years playing for, say, Wales in front of 5000 in Wrexham? At the same time watching the English players that you played alongside for GB last year, now playing in front of big crowds and in big home series against the Aussies and NZ because England has the support and the opportunities to do that. Isn't this precisely the situation that someone like Regan Grace might find themselves in? He could be selected for GB in 2019 and play and be amazing. Then come 2020 he'll be sitting with his feet up watching England play the Kangaroos.

I'll start with that bit at the bottom..

In 2020 Regan grace will be playing for Wales helping them qualify for the world cup as well as play for Wales v Australia in a tour game...hopefully,it's for the WRL to arrange it.

The move to a tours & tournaments international schedule provides a greater scope for Wales,Scotland & Ireland to play Australia & new Zealand more than they ever have! Scotland have played nz 3 times in recent years and are likely too play them again at the end of the year when the kiwis tour here,providing they pick up the phone and arrange it with the nzrl...

the GB tour in 2019 caused the confed cup to be postponed meaning Wales,Scotland & Ireland missed out being,potentially,placed in a group with aus or nz..

So the notion that having GB will help wales,Scotland & Ireland retain players is absolute nonsense..a schedule and the will to want to arrange games against touring Australian & kiwi teams will help them retain players!!..2018 is the 110th anniversary of the very first RL International, Wales v nz..have the welshRL even rang the NZRL yet about arranging an anniversary tour game this Oct/nov? Bet they haven't!

You also pin alot of hope that Wales & Scotland would have players selected for GB lol not likely is it be honest. So not only will they have no players selected but their national side will be relegated in terms of importance behind GB...that'll impact investment.

I get a lot of stick for being a GB hater..far from it,I want GB to return as a touring side...but only when it actually has English,Welsh & Scotsmen..even Irishmen in the team! 24 Englishmen & Regan grace (sat in the stands cos he didn't make the team) does not warrant a return of GB...it just doesn't and that's as a once every 4 year touring team....Let alone as a full time team as you suggest.

OLDHAM RLFC

16 hours ago, Scubby said:

I'm hopeful it gets canned and announced that England will be touring instead..

OLDHAM RLFC

Archived