2016 Cycling Season

Two lots of big news this week:

1. Oleg Tinkoff want's to sell his team. He has pumped millions into the sport, but is like a Russian Mohammed Al Fayed. Sorry to see him go.

2. Team Sky  has got a new strip and will no longer be sponsored by Jaguar. Not sure which party ended the relationship.

http://pages.rapha.cc/stories/team-sky-2016

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to the season. Have been an on-off fan for years, but last year I really got into it from the Dauphiné onwards. 2016 will be the first time I'll be watching the Classics and the Giro on TV.

Great to see the race gets under way just up the road from here in Beverley.

My sister and my mum both live just off the route of stage 3. Once that stage gets to Sutton Bank, it's a very beautiful part of the country. The Lion on Blakey Ridge will be even busier than usual - it'll be a fantastic place to see the race go by, as you can see the road for miles in either direction (plus the food and beer is very good).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just heard this announcement on Radio 5 - looks like there's an interesting power struggle brewing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

Ben Swift might as well give up on being a sprinter and turn himself ito a monuments rider.

Twice this week, he's been given a good lead-out by the Sky team but been blown away by proper sprinters.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Ben Swift might as well give up on being a sprinter and turn himself ito a monuments rider.

Twice this week, he's been given a good lead-out by the Sky team but been blown away by proper sprinters.

Proper sprinters like Caleb Ewan? He looks like one to watch. Got a hell of a sprint finish on him.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Maybe mentioned on TRL before, but the UCI have a YouTube channel where you can watch live events and replays free.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ucichannel

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

Just watching the Milan-Sanremo riders rolling along the beautiful Ligurian coastline in the sunshine.

Bloomin' marvellous, makes you want to be there.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting to get a bit excited about Paris - Roubaix this coming Sunday. Possibility of rain forecast which makes for an exciting if dangerous race. Big names showing early form this season - with Peter Sagan and Fabian Cancellara down as favourites - but with a number of riders yet to have the opportunity to shine. Of the Brits, I fancy either Ian Stannard or Geraint Thomas if they can work together and avoid the usual pitfalls that the 'Hell of the North' presents.

I'm starting to get a bit excited about Paris - Roubaix this coming Sunday. Possibility of rain forecast which makes for an exciting if dangerous race.

With 2 riders already killed this year, they had better be more careful than normal

I'm starting to get a bit excited about Paris - Roubaix this coming Sunday. Possibility of rain forecast which makes for an exciting if dangerous race. Big names showing early form this season - with Peter Sagan and Fabian Cancellara down as favourites - but with a number of riders yet to have the opportunity to shine. Of the Brits, I fancy either Ian Stannard or Geraint Thomas if they can work together and avoid the usual pitfalls that the 'Hell of the North' presents.

Well, as Thomas hasn't been picked for the Sky squad (although he is a substitute) all British hopes are on Stannard.

I always look forward to Paris-Roubaix. It's one of the highlights of the sporting year for me.

Sagan was very dominant in the Tour of Flanders last week (good to see Lizzie Armitstead match his feat of following up the world championship with a Tour of Flanders win), Cancellara couldn't make any impression on Sagan's lead in the last few kms. Whether that's because he wasn't getting enough help with the chase or just didn't have the legs I don't know but I'd like to see Cancellara do it in his final season before retiring. 

I always look forward to Paris-Roubaix. It's one of the highlights of the sporting year for me.

Sagan was very dominant in the Tour of Flanders last week (good to see Lizzie Armitstead match his feat of following up the world championship with a Tour of Flanders win), Cancellara couldn't make any impression on Sagan's lead in the last few kms. Whether that's because he wasn't getting enough help with the chase or just didn't have the legs I don't know but I'd like to see Cancellara do it in his final season before retiring.

Similarly Paris-Roubaix is always marked on my calendar. I wouldn't mind seeing Spartacus win on his final year. I also quite like Sagan. However, I'd much prefer to see Yogi Stannard on the top of the podium. All 3 of them coming into the stadium together and sprinting it out would be even better. Talking of sprinting, I have a feeling that Cavendish will show well tomorrow.

Similarly Paris-Roubaix is always marked on my calendar. I wouldn't mind seeing Spartacus win on his final year. I also quite like Sagan. However, I'd much prefer to see Yogi Stannard on the top of the podium. All 3 of them coming into the stadium together and sprinting it out would be even better. Talking of sprinting, I have a feeling that Cavendish will show well tomorrow.

Stannard could go well. He's a big tough rouleur who in his own words has "a bit of c**t" about him.

Stannard could go well. He's a big tough rouleur who in his own words has "a bit of c**t" about him.

I think he proved that today. What an effort. I thought he was going to win the sprint for a moment. What a race. Could have been different had Sky managed to keep that group of 4 together.

I think he proved that today. What an effort. I thought he was going to win the sprint for a moment. What a race. Could have been different had Sky managed to keep that group of 4 together.

Great effort from Stannard. I also thought he was going to take it at one point.

Did you see Sagan avoid the crash that took out Cancellara? What a piece of bike handling.

• 3 weeks later...

With three months 'til the Olympics, not only has Shane Sutton been ousted, but some of the team's high-performance kit (paid for by Lottery funding) has been found offered for sale on eBay.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived