Prize money

fredm

Does anyone know what is on offer for the league placings this season?  Or, if not, what was last seasons amounts, as I presume they will be somewhat similar?

We will presumably be receiving a larger amount than last season as we cannot finish any lower than 6th in the table now compared to last seasons position.

Does anyone know what is on offer for the league placings this season?  Or, if not, what was last seasons amounts, as I presume they will be somewhat similar?

We will presumably be receiving a larger amount than last season as we cannot finish any lower than 6th in the table now compared to last seasons position.

I can't answer regarding the numbers Fred but you can in fact finish lower than sixth. Once the top four separate the bottom eight continue to play and carry over their accrued points so the final position for those teams is determined after the 8's have been completed.

You should make the top four though.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

So BSJ, if I understand it correctly, the top four positions after 23 games are set in stone as regards prize money, and for positions 5 - 12 they are dependent upon points gained from the 23 matches together with points gained from the additional 7 matches to reach a final league position.

Anyway, according to the Bradford T and A newspaper, who I would think would have verified their information, the prize money for the top six positions is as follows:

1st - £750k

2nd - £700k

3rd - £500k

4th - £450k

5th - £275k

6th - £225k

Quite a drop from 4th to 5th, and I personally would question why the gap between the top two and the rest.

So BSJ, if I understand it correctly, the top four positions after 23 games are set in stone as regards prize money, and for positions 5 - 12 they are dependent upon points gained from the 23 matches together with points gained from the additional 7 matches to reach a final league position.

Anyway, according to the Bradford T and A newspaper, who I would think would have verified their information, the prize money for the top six positions is as follows:

1st - £750k

2nd - £700k

3rd - £500k

4th - £450k

5th - £275k

6th - £225k

Quite a drop from 4th to 5th, and I personally would question why the gap between the top two and the rest.

Thanks Fred.

Yes a massive drop and this was commented upon last year. It was suggested, unfairly I'm sure, that this money was a sop to whomever were to get relegated to the Championship in the previous year, in order to make sure the SL clubs voted to accept the new league structures.

Just to be clear as well, although this is deemed "prize money" it isn't received as one single payment at the end of the season but paid in monthly amounts over a twelve month period. Whether these are equal amounts or tapered I don't know. Digging out this information is quite hard work; for some reason the RFL are quite opaque about revealing these details.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

@fredm

Not entirely correctly:

If you get in the top 4, the funding you get will depend on where you finish in the middle 8s (points are wiped clean at the start of middle 8s). The "1st Place championship prize" you stated is for the loser of the million pound game(4 v 5), "2nd place championship prize" you state goes to 6th place in middle 8s etc. Positions 1-3 and the winner of the mpg go into next years super league and get that funding.

Below top 4 championship, the funding also depends on final position,but unlike middle 8s, the points from the first 23 games aren't wiped off.

@fredm

Not entirely correctly:

If you get in the top 4, the funding you get will depend on where you finish in the middle 8s (points are wiped clean at the start of middle 8s). The "1st Place championship prize" you stated is for the loser of the million pound game(4 v 5), "2nd place championship prize" you state goes to 6th place in middle 8s etc. Positions 1-3 and the winner of the mpg go into next years super league and get that funding.

Below top 4 championship, the funding also depends on final position,but unlike middle 8s, the points from the first 23 games aren't wiped off.

I am not sure that this is true. There was a thread on the main forum, where a poster stated that the money is decided after the league section, before the play-offs, backed up by an email after a question sent to the RFL. What you describe was the payment scenario last season.

Ahhh! It was how it worked last year!

I didn't realise they'd changed it! My error, sorry!

Mixed feelings about that, it does reward your performance during the majority of games, but kind of makes the middle 8s less important for the championship teams, as all you are playing for is a very slim chance of a super league place.

Ahhh! It was how it worked last year!

I didn't realise they'd changed it! My error, sorry!

Mixed feelings about that, it does reward your performance during the majority of games, but kind of makes the middle 8s less important for the championship teams, as all you are playing for is a very slim chance of a super league place.

And revenue from some big fixtures!

I am not sure that this is true. There was a thread on the main forum, where a poster stated that the money is decided after the league section, before the play-offs, backed up by an email after a question sent to the RFL. What you describe was the payment scenario last season.

Opaque as I said. I don't know why the RFL are so coy about publicising these details.

You'll still have a nice amount of money to throw around next year.

Thought that last year Leigh were not happy that they came top of the league but payouts were paid for the top/bottom 4 clubs in the middle eight play-off depending on which place they finished ie 

5th Bradford

6th Halifax

7thSheffield 

8th Leigh

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

Opaque as I said. I don't know why the RFL are so coy about publicising these details.

You'll still have a nice amount of money to throw around next year.

Throwing around money is an alien concept at Batley. Money for 5th and 6th is good but not club changing. The difference however between that for 5th and 4th is.

The money is a huge incentive but I prefer the status of finishing in the top four. In effect taking a big boys spot from one of the four full time teams. It is also a platform for publicity as middle eight games will be televised. We have had great exposure with the cup games on sky. Success will attract the stay away fans who in turn bring in the money. Destiny in our own hands now and the lads will do it!

And revenue from some big fixtures!

Not sure that this is guaranteed.  I believe the 3rd and 4th place teams have 3 home and 4 away fixtures.  Say we have London, Leigh and Hull KR at home (in a fixture with them already having secured SL survival) how many fans would turn up?  I am presuming that matches are not shared gate.

This is how the fixtures are worked out, Fred is absolutely right. As it stands we would play Salford, Hull Kr and Leigh at home. But there is a long way to go IMHO, we still have to win 2 of our remaining games to be certain to get in to the middle 8s and 2 of the 3 games are against teams in the top 6 too. It is also worth pointing out that all 3 of the teams we have left to play have beaten us once this season already, so there are no guarantee's we will care about who's playing who in the middle 8s come the end of the season.

post-12762-0-24562100-1467629932_thumb.jpg

Some good news in there- looks like London away if we finish 3rd or 4th, so we avoid the one match guaranteed to have no or very few away fans.We still have to get those two wins though.Fev at home on Sunday is the big one, win that Fev are out and the pressure is on Bradford and Fax.

Throwing around money is an alien concept at Batley. Money for 5th and 6th is good but not club changing. The difference however between that for 5th and 4th is.

Tongue in cheek I hope you understand.

I've seen Kevin Nicholas in the bar, after which no-one could ever describe his nature as throwing money around.

The money is a huge incentive but I prefer the status of finishing in the top four. In effect taking a big boys spot from one of the four full time teams. It is also a platform for publicity as middle eight games will be televised. We have had great exposure with the cup games on sky. Success will attract the stay away fans who in turn bring in the money. Destiny in our own hands now and the lads will do it!

If they do, will your ground meet SL requirements?

I was referring to the four full time teams in our division, who on paper should be the ones to qualify for the middle eights.

Have you no ambition DS?

Archived