World Cup draw to be announced Tues 19 July

Rugby League World Cup CEO Michael Brown has confirmed the official tournament draw will be announced on Tuesday 19th July, 2016.

"The RLWC2017 will see 14 teams play 28 games over five weeks, all hoping to be crowned world champions in what is the pinnacle event in international rugby league," Brown said.

"On Tuesday July 19th, the organising committee will unveil the RLWC2017 tournament draw for the event to be co-hosted by Australia and New Zealand in late 2017."

According to Sky Sports the tournament will run into December!! Gonna be a long season for the SL boys if they start in Feb.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

According to Sky Sports the tournament will run into December!! Gonna be a long season for the SL boys if they start in Feb.

Final is 2nd December, Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Read somewhere that the following games have been confirmed;

Fiji v USA

Scotland v Samoa

A Euro Qualifier v A Euro Qualifier and Scotland v Tonga double header

A Euro Qualifier v USA and A Euro Qualifier v Fiji double header

Based on that info I think the groups will follow the same format as before and be something like the following;

Group A

Australia/New Zealand
England
France
Lebanon/Papua New Guinea

Group B

New Zealand/Australia
Scotland
Tonga
Samoa

Group C

European Qualifier 1 (Probably Group A Winner)
European Qualifier 2 (Probably Group B Winner)
Papua New Guinea/Lebanon

Group D

Fiji
European Qualifier 3 (Probably the playoff match winner)
USA

Cross-over games

Fiji v Euro Qualifier 2
Euro Qualifier 1 v Euro Qualifier 3
USA v Papua New Guinea/Lebanon

I did think PNG would host a group of 3 but can't see how that would work with the already  announced fixtures unless Lebanon are fed to the bigger teams.

I could be way off the mark but thats my guess.

Also read that a semi and the final are at Suncorp. I don't like one semi being played at the same ground as the final. Gives one finalist an advantage plus lessens the specialness of the final

I wonder if Sydney is going to get any games at all?! I certainly would have gone to the World Cup final in Sydney, and I'm sure with a bit of marketing and effort we could have filled the Olympic stadiume ground, especially if we had the women's World Cup final as the curtain raiser!

Some media in Australia are saying nsw is only allocated 2 of lebanon's pool games, both in Sydney. No finals or anything else. Apparently, the state government wasn't interested in bidding to host.

You snooze, you lose.

I won't get to many games if this is the draw..  last time I went to games in Canberra, the Central Coast and Newcastle.  It was a lot of fun and there were many fans who flew to Australia for the games.

Most likely I will go to only one game in Canberra.

What was the NSW government thinking??

Still I'm glad they stuck to their guns and put matches out to tender.  The NSW government now just has to face the fans.

Possible 3 games for Canberra according to local paper. More than Sydney if rumours are true.

NSW has a large budget for attracting events.  They possibly thought they had it in the bag because they are Sydney and rugby league is popular there. 

Oh well, more games for everyone else.

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD CUP 2017 TOURNAMENT DRAW ANNOUNCED

The Rugby League World Cup 2017 (RLWC2017) Organising Committee (OC) today announced the Draw for the Tournament to be co-hosted by Australia and New Zealand from 27 October – 2 December 2017.

Melbourne Rectangular Stadium will host a blockbuster opening match of the RLWC2017, when the home nation – the Kangaroos – begin their campaign under lights against England on Friday 27 October.

On Saturday 28 October, the Kiwis first pool match will be played at the home of Rugby League in New Zealand – Auckland’s Mt Smart Stadium – when they take on Pacific rivals Samoa.

In October 2015, the RLWC2017 OC announced Papua New Guinea (PNG) as a hosting partner of the World Cup, with Port Moresby to host the PNG Kumuls’ three pool matches against two European Qualifiers and the USA.  The first match is scheduled for Saturday 28 October and in a country where Rugby League is the national sport, the passionate fans of PNG are sure to embrace the sport’s pinnacle event.

The winner of the RLWC2017 will be decided at Brisbane Stadium on Saturday 2 December, as the two finalists battle it out for the right to hold aloft the Paul Barrière trophy and claim the title of World Cup winners.

RLWC2017 Chief Executive Officer, Michael Brown, said the Organising Committee made a deliberate decision to take the Rugby League World Cup to more fans than any World Cup has done before.  

“The Tournament Draw demonstrates how far and wide we are taking matches, from established Rugby League communities, to those new and emerging fan bases in all three countries. 

“Over the course of the pool stages we have looked to position matches in strong Rugby League communities and where large populations of ex-pats, Pacifica and indigenous fans live, to give those who love the sport and their national teams the chance to see some World Cup action.

“The decision to take matches to places like Darwin, Perth, Christchurch and Port Moresby were made with the future of the game in mind.  They are matches we believe will give profile to the sport in markets that have already shown an appetite for Rugby League.”

The RLWC2017 Tournament Draw is family-friendly by intention, with all matches to be played across the weekend including Friday night games.  There will be three double-headers in Cairns, Perth and Townsville, providing additional value for money for fans.

When not attending games, fans will experience some of the most iconic sporting destinations in the world. Sports enthusiasts will be able to explore the diversity of the eight host cities across Australia to New Zealand’s compact nature that simplifies travel and makes it easy for visitors to access all venues while experiencing a variety of tourist attractions along the way.  The welcome and hospitality supporters will receive when visiting all three host nations will make the RLWC2017 a bucket list item for sports fans worldwide.

“We not only want to see traditional rugby league fans come out to support their national team, we aim to engage with the local communities of all participating teams to deliver an event that will entertain the world, inspire communities and celebrate Rugby League,” continued Brown.

“Rugby league is truly a game for everyone.  We hope the Rugby League World Cup 2017 leaves a legacy for the game that sees it continue to grow and dominate the sporting landscape.”

Tournament Pools

With 11 teams already confirmed, the final three teams will come from the European Qualifying Tournament to be played in October and November this year.  The teams who are still in the race include Wales, Ireland, Russia, Serbia, Italy and Spain.

The pool structure reflects that of the successful 2013 Tournament.  The composition of the pools for RLWC2017 were shaped by a number of considerations, including the final placings from the 2013 World Cup and current world rankings

Pool A

Australia

England

France

Lebanon

Pool B

New Zealand

Samoa

Scotland

Tonga

Pool C

Papua New Guinea

European Qualifier 1

European Qualifier 2

Pool D

Fiji

USA

European Qualifier 3

Rugby League World Cup 2017 Full Tournament Draw plus Finals information

As co-hosts of the tournament, the RLWC2017 OC wanted to give certainty to the Australian and New Zealand fans who want to pre-arrange travel to these matches to support their team.

The Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) has approved that if Australia qualifies for a Quarter-Final, it will play in Darwin.  If New Zealand qualifies for a Quarter-Final, it will play in Wellington.  If Australia and New Zealand were to play each other in a Quarter-Final or Semi-Final, whoever finishes higher in the pool stage will get the home advantage.  The full Quarter-Final fixture will be finalised at the conclusion of the pool stages, taking in to consideration hosting requirements.

If Australia and New Zealand make the Semi-Finals they will play in Brisbane and Auckland respectively.

Rugby League World Cup 2017 Tournament Draw

*Kick off times to be announced ahead of tournament

Date Match Type Match-Up Venue 27/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Australia vs England Melbourne Rectangular Stadium 28/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 PNG v Euro Q1 Port Moresby (venue TBA) 28/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 New Zealand vs Samoa Mt Smart, Auckland 28/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Fiji vs USA Townsville Stadium 29/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Scotland vs Tonga Barlow Park, Cairns 29/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Euro Q2 vs Euro Q3 Barlow Park, Cairns 29/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 France vs Lebanon Canberra Stadium 3/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Australia vs France Canberra Stadium 4/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 New Zealand vs Scotland    Christchurch Stadium 4/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Samoa vs Tonga Waikato Stadium, Hamilton 4/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 England vs Lebanon Sydney Football Stadium 5/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 PNG vs Euro Q2 Port Moresby (venue TBA) 5/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Euro Q3 vs USA Townsville Stadium 5/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Fiji vs Euro Q1 Townsville Stadium 10/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 Fiji vs Euro Q3 Canberra Stadium 11/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 Samoa vs Scotland Barlow Park, Cairns 11/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 New Zealand vs Tonga Waikato Stadium, Hamilton 11/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 Australia vs Lebanon Sydney Football Stadium 12/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 PNG vs USA Port Moresby (venue TBA) 12/11/2017 Pool – Round 3      Euro Q1 vs Euro Q2 Perth Rectangular Stadium 17/11/2017      Quarter Final   Darwin Stadium 18/11/2017 Quarter Final   Christchurch Stadium 18/11/2017 Quarter Final   Wellington Regional Stadium 19/11/2017 Quarter Final   Melbourne Rectangular Stadium 24/11/2017 Semi Final   Brisbane Stadium 25/11/2017 Semi Final   Mt Smart, Auckland 2/12/017 Final   Brisbane Stadium

To view the Rugby League World Cup 2017 Tournament Draw, go to RLWC2017.com/draw

RLWC2017 Fan packages, including tickets, are on sale now at RLWC2017.com/travel

Tickets will go on general sale on 27 October 2016. Fans should register their interest at RLWC2017.com

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD CUP 2017 TOURNAMENT DRAW ANNOUNCED

Pool A

Australia

England

France

Lebanon

Pool B

New Zealand

Samoa

Scotland

Tonga

Pool C

Papua New Guinea

European Qualifier 1

European Qualifier 2

Pool D

Fiji

USA

European Qualifier 3

Rugby League World Cup 2017 Tournament Draw

*Kick off times to be announced ahead of tournament

Date Match Type Match-Up Venue

27/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Australia vs England Melbourne Rectangular Stadium

28/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 PNG v Euro Q1 Port Moresby (venue TBA)

28/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 New Zealand vs Samoa Mt Smart, Auckland

28/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Fiji vs USA Townsville Stadium

29/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Scotland vs Tonga Barlow Park, Cairns

29/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Euro Q2 vs Euro Q3 Barlow Park, Cairns

29/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 France vs Lebanon Canberra Stadium

3/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Australia vs France Canberra Stadium

4/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 New Zealand vs Scotland    Christchurch Stadium

4/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Samoa vs Tonga Waikato Stadium, Hamilton

4/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 England vs Lebanon Sydney Football Stadium

5/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 PNG vs Euro Q2 Port Moresby (venue TBA)

5/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Euro Q3 vs USA Townsville Stadium

5/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Fiji vs Euro Q1 Townsville Stadium

10/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 Fiji vs Euro Q3 Canberra Stadium

11/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 Samoa vs Scotland Barlow Park, Cairns

11/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 New Zealand vs Tonga Waikato Stadium, Hamilton

11/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 Australia vs Lebanon Sydney Football Stadium

12/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 PNG vs USA Port Moresby (venue TBA)

12/11/2017 Pool – Round 3      Euro Q1 vs Euro Q2 Perth Rectangular Stadium

12/11/2017 Pool - Round 3 England vs France  Perth Rectangular Stadium

17/11/2017      Quarter Final   Darwin Stadium

18/11/2017 Quarter Final   Christchurch Stadium

18/11/2017 Quarter Final   Wellington Regional Stadium

19/11/2017 Quarter Final   Melbourne Rectangular Stadium

24/11/2017 Semi Final   Brisbane Stadium

25/11/2017 Semi Final   Mt Smart, Auckland

2/12/017 Final   Brisbane Stadium

To view the Rugby League World Cup 2017 Tournament Draw, go to RLWC2017.com/draw

RLWC2017 Fan packages, including tickets, are on sale now at RLWC2017.com/travel

Tickets will go on general sale on 27 October 2016. Fans should register their interest at RLWC2017.com

edited to improve readability.

Thanks duck, that does make it clearer to read. Looking at the main draw, Eng vs France is at Perth too, guessing a double header with the European clash above

I just edited it to include the England/France in Perth. I'm not sure how that slipped through my original copy/paste.

From Rugby League Weekly Australia

"Surprisingly Sydney has been snubbed with the city set to host just two pool games and no finals matches."

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

I just edited it to include the England/France in Perth. I'm not sure how that slipped through my original copy/paste.

It seems that was a problem with the original press release (I am on the mailing list for these things). A follow up was sent.  Thanks for the editing graft I was to lazy to do!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Looks like a really expensive tournament for Wales fans if Wales are Q1 or Q2; but I'd love to go to Papua New Guinea!!

Archived