Mascord - 13 questions for David Collier

I think Toronto has been a massive catalyst.

That's not the same as me saying it will be a success.

But it has stimulated a lot of interest in the Americas.

Personally I really hope Toronto comes off it could see a 2022 Federation Cup in North America and International 9s on the back of new interest, new markets and new money.

It's good to get some info, but I was a bit underwhelmed.  It reads like it was conducted via email and David Collier chose to answer some questions very briefly.  I also dislike the repeated use of Tier 1 Nations. 

"RLIF tested the market re a Nines event but there was limited response. The Tier One nations would like a Nines event to be trialled in 2019 and, assuming the board agree, we shall tender that option."

This raises more questions than answers for me - how widely did we test the market for sponsors, venue, etc?  Assuming the board agree is used often in the interview, but no date given on this.  I just think it's a missed opportunity to be more passionate and expansive. 

"What are your thoughts on England going to Dubai for a training camp?" is a very soft question considering the history on that issue, though it's probably Wood / Bennett who more deserves to be grilled on this. 

Given the current friction between the NRL's clubs and administrators in Australia, I assume that a fair few decisions are being kept in a holding pattern for now.

The game down there could end up in the hands of people who see the bigger picture, or people who cannot. And, like it or not, the NRL have a big impact on how the sport goes forward.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Given the current friction between the NRL's clubs and administrators in Australia, I assume that a fair few decisions are being kept in a holding pattern for now.

The game down there could end up in the hands of people who see the bigger picture, or people who cannot. And, like it or not, the NRL have a big impact on how the sport goes forward.

I don't like it but you're right, Futtocks.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Just like the ARL/SL war came at a bad time for the game, the latest schism seems to have at worst stopped or at best delayed many of the decisions about things like expanding Nines or introducing the Confed Cup. And just at what should have been a good time for those concepts to have been given some impetus.

If foot-shooting was a Olympic sport...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think it would be fair to see that the last few months have seen some chances missed internationally. But not closed off for good. I think we are at a critical point in the game internationally and naturally some are more cautious and self interested than others. The point about testing the waters for 9s is telling. As we are moving towards a stronger and more independent RLIF, things need to be done more objectively and professionally. So, if the Tier 1 countries think that 9s are the way forward the RLIF's job is to see what sponsor/broadcasting interest there is. It isn't interesting but it is important.

As to England training in Dubai that is not an RLIF point but one squarely for the RFL.

Though of course David may have an opinion.

There has been some progrsss and there is some momentum, but, perhaps understandably some countries see a bigger picture than others. I like to think these are inevitable teething pains.

One big step forward would be to have different people on the RLIF board for a host of reasons - time, conflicts of interest, skill sets, succession...

I think Toronto has been a massive catalyst.

That's not the same as me saying it will be a success.

But it has stimulated a lot of interest in the Americas.

Personally I really hope Toronto comes off it could see a 2022 Federation Cup in North America and International 9s on the back of new interest, new markets and new money.

Its in 2023 not 2022

And it looks like theres gonna be a world 9s,pre season, in 2019

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

I'm frustrated we are t going to see a Federation cup before the 2021 World Cup. I think we need to be bedding in an established XIII schedule before we start thinking about 9s. The Southern Hemisphere are so far ahead in that format it's just another format Oz will blow England away in and will thus further disinterest Oz in international RL.

III. How will the Federation Cup work and where and when will it be held?

DC: “It is intended to be an eight-nation event Steve. That was the offer for 2022. The first eight-nation event will be tendered for 2023 if Board confirm as in one above.”

Well, I like it. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

I think it would be better if those who run the game down under would look at the bigger picture and realise that SOO is not the be all and end all of Rugby League, International Rugby League should be.

Archived