Rugby League coaching for juniors

Not sure if this is the correct section to post this topic under but I'll go ahead anyway :

I'm getting back into some junior coaching in Melbourne and am wondering if anyone wants to point out a site or link youtube videos you have seen of good drills or maybe walk me through some neat drills i can pass on to my team or even tell me of some of you're favorite drills you loved as juniors.

Its a junior only club but its growing and am keen to pass my passion on to the kids and I've course take credit for the drills you guys pass on to me :)

Am interested to see what all you fellow total rl members come up with :)

Not sure if this is the correct section to post this topic under but I'll go ahead anyway :

I'm getting back into some junior coaching in Melbourne and am wondering if anyone wants to point out a site or link youtube videos you have seen of good drills or maybe walk me through some neat drills i can pass on to my team or even tell me of some of you're favorite drills you loved as juniors.

Its a junior only club but its growing and am keen to pass my passion on to the kids and I've course take credit for the drills you guys pass on to me :)

Am interested to see what all you fellow total rl members come up with :)

The Sky Try website has some. Takes a bit of finding, but simple, good stuff.

Why not write to Bellamy? He'll pass you on to one of their staff. I'm certain they can help.

Yeah the Panthers stuff is really good for drills. What age are you coaching? I think with juniors it can be quite easy to stick with lots of  drills, but kids seem to enjoy messy/chaotic small-sided games a lot more, once the kids are capable of doing the targetted skills in a less-pressured environment at least.

I've always found it's much easier for a player to learn the core skills, say for example a six o'clock pass (elbow up, outside foot forward, follow through with the wrists), than to learn the decision-making behind when to throw a six o'clock pass, when to throw a spin pass, why to throw each type of pass or whatever. An emphasis on small-sided games gives kids the opportunity for lots of trial and error (and therefore opportunities to fail and learn). 

I'd also look into getting a coaching qualification (if you haven't already). For $55 it's worth it just for the confidence it'll give you if nothing else. Maybe see if your club will help out by paying it. 

I know nothing about RL coaching but I found this post very interesting. It's basically the foundation of modern education theory that kids learn best when they're put in an environment where they can learn by figuring things out for themselves in a low pressure, fun environment. It also has the advantage of teaching them how to improvise as they have trained themselves to respond to what is in front of them instead of just relying on rote-learned (or drilled) information. If drill-based training is the norm it explains a lot of the issues people raise about the lack of creative half backs being developed in England.

Maybe teaching science and teaching RL aren't that different...

The basics..grip,carry,catch n pass..plenty of small sided games and tag or touch games.

Emphasis on fun but look at the individuals basics and when appropriate fault correct.

In the touch/tag develop team work through passing the ball rather than one out rugby.

Rotate the players and dont let individuals hog the positions.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Archived