Lets pool our ideas

the old nine ole

There are many suggestions and ideas to improve our club  coming through on other threads ... some with merit and some not ...  however we run the risk of losing some real gems in isolation  .... 

Lets see if there is an appetite for some meaningful suggestions by way of this thread ... call it a 'think tank' if you wish .. 

You never know we might just come up with  a silver bullet!!   ...  

So what are your ideas for improvement?  ... be it structure , match day experience ... or even San Miguel in the South stand bar ??  

Personally I think a  live fans forum could be great idea ... properly moderated of course!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly you have to get into the mentality that each game is an event.

Every angle,opportunity has to be taken in promoting the event and maximising it's cash revenue

You pull in fans expertise in finding entertainment and pulling it in.

You've to give incentives to entice the public to part with their brass,not just hold your hand out,

You've to look for indirect opportunities to get people in

We have hundreds of people in a Sunday morning coming to the ground,but yet no skill to get any financial reward from their visit, give out big back window car stickers to advertise games,sponsor a kids team get the name out there, why don't we run a junior team?

Are we scared of treading on shaw crosses toes??

They have a better relationship with batley than us..work that one out

The whole match day experience needs reworking and a total overhaul, a team of ferocious people wanting to make a difference, driven by passion and a burning desire to make a difference, they've to be hungry and ruthless.. Bit like the bloke at Keighley was with cougarmaina.. Was his name smith

Think we're in a rut, lethargic to the core.

We seem to be going back to the 70's and 80's where it was easier to do nothing..if it didn't drop in our lap it wasn't worth chasing.

We need to be hungry,not fat,lazy and out of touch with the fans and the general public

Things have to change for sure.

As my dad said you just feel like you have to go to the match to support the club and keep it going at the minute, not that your going to the match because you want to because it's entertaining and you know your part of something special. I have many ideas.... But is there any point if nobody does anything about it?? What's bad is there are many of our fans feeling the same, if the club do nothing they will lose even more fans they can not afford to lose. Anyway here goes.... Happy hour pre match? ...Some body said it earlier, 2 dewsbury supporters out of a 4 man band play at mount pleasant?? Why can't we have a live local band or singer on big matches?.... Bring back the curtain raisers? Here's an idea to link us to the heavy Woolen junior clubs team with Batley like hull have teamed with hull Kr and instead of joining a reserves league which won't work, join Newcastle Cumbria and the SL clubs in the under 19s comp? This will create a path way to our first teams for juniors? ... Instead of season tickets, hand thousands of season ticket cards out to every school in dewsbury for free admission to kids? Don't ban the drum when fans are just trying to create an atmosphere at home games for a change... We need to create an atmosphere that the kids who are the future want to become a part of like at Warrington and Leeds..Kids love atmospheres and chanting.Not quiet like there at a funeral.I bet you now if the drum was allowed we'd see a much bigger support from the juniors and the atmosphere would be alot better

As my dad said you just feel like you have to go to the match to support the club and keep it going at the minute, not that your going to the match because you want to because it's entertaining and you know your part of something special. I have many ideas.... But is there any point if nobody does anything about it?? What's bad is there are many of our fans feeling the same, if the club do nothing they will lose even more fans they can not afford to lose. Anyway here goes.... Happy hour pre match? ...Some body said it earlier, 2 dewsbury supporters out of a 4 man band play at mount pleasant?? Why can't we have a live local band or singer on big matches?.... Bring back the curtain raisers? Here's an idea to link us to the heavy Woolen junior clubs team with Batley like hull have teamed with hull Kr and instead of joining a reserves league which won't work, join Newcastle Cumbria and the SL clubs in the under 19s comp? This will create a path way to our first teams for juniors? ... Instead of season tickets, hand thousands of season ticket cards out to every school in dewsbury for free admission to kids? Don't ban the drum when fans are just trying to create an atmosphere at home games for a change... We need to create an atmosphere that the kids who are the future want to become a part of like at Warrington and Leeds..Kids love atmospheres and chanting.Not quiet like there at a funeral.I bet you now if the drum was allowed we'd see a much bigger support from the juniors and the atmosphere would be alot better

Some good ideas there Chris,but if your thinking by having a drum is going to attract supporters young or old you are kidding yourself.

I can't offer any substantial suggestions as yet but can give an observation. There was a virtually identical thread to this on the Batley forum last season, agonising over their club's marketing and promotional activities. That thread has now withered and died as have their fans' anguish.

I wonder why that is?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

So lack of recent success is our kryptonite causing the club to whither and die?

So on that respect ambition could be our narcotic that springs us into action

I've gotta say the legal high of watching the team lately is losing its appeal, when you've fans around you at halftime saying "their bored" and "this is rubbish " there is something seriously wrong with the matchday experience.

As you say credit.. It's the little things, the small losses of revenue.

Do we have a matchday manager??

Someone who ensures all these little cogs turn in the big wheel??

Little observation on a recent visit to a super league ground

I noticed long queues to buy bottled overpriced beer,on average it took 20 minutes to get served.

More outlets would create more revenue.. Then I thought rather than them leaving the stand..take the beer too them

Backpack coolers with a elevated flag so fans don't have to leave the stand,simply attract the attention of the vendor and the sale is concluded without them missing the game..we live in a world of delivery..that's what people expect.

Now before someone jumps on the more outlets gains more revenue

Someone will day but you've to pay the seller..how about their wage is commission based..more you sell more you earn.

Little ideas make a difference

I can't offer any substantial suggestions as yet but can give an observation. There was a virtually identical thread to this on the Batley forum last season, agonising over their club's marketing and promotional activities. That thread has now withered and died as have their fans' anguish.

I wonder why that is?

My thoughts exactly. The last time our crowds were decent, and even increased was the 2009 season when we swept all before. There was no entertainment other than on the pitch and certainly no drum. When you have a team of silk purses coached into pigs rissoles, however, you could put Billy Smarts circus in the car park, and it still wouldn't attract back the missing supporters. We are playing the direst rugby since the days of Andy Fisher, and therein lies the problem - fans vote with their feet and they are hard to tempt back. I'm not knocking this thread, there are some good ideas being put forward on here that I hope the club could use, but at the end of the day , I'm afraid the only entertainment most of us want is on the field. Incidentally, how many fans do you think the Rhinos would lose if the moronic drummer and the flat trumpeteer were banned ? I'll tell you - two. Now if they had a lousy season and ended up in a relegation dogfight, they might lose a few but .... oh! they have, and they haven't

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

No but Leeds create an atmosphere that takes our towns kids to them not dewsbury ... You can't tell me kids don't get attracted to singing were Leeds rhinos to the beat of the headingley southstand band??Kids love chanting songs getting behind teams. I have mates who don't go watch dewsbury and watch Leeds because there's no atmosphere. Losing fans. No offence but the Southstand average age isn't getting any younger. These kids are future fans the club needs to try get hooked... It's 2016!!!!! Give all kids in every dewsbury school a free season ticket card (like a plastic bank card not season ticket book!) and I tell you now the crowds will swell! . Trust me! It won't cost the club nothing to try other than the cost of the plastic cards .Like Coolie says we can't wait for them to come to us, have to come to us. Obviously a winning team helps but still theres a lack of the feel of an occasion on home games, just feels like suppose il have to go to game as I e got a season ticket...The grounds great, the atmosphere is not.

Thriving growing busineses listen to their customers ....   why should sport be different!!

If the product is what customers want to buy it sells  ...if it isn't what customers want to buy it doesn't sell ..and the business dies!!

I see this as an opportunity to say just what it is we want to buy ... on and off the field!  

Take this seasons shirts for example ...  the customers didn't want them so they didn't sell ..  or they were not easily available or poorly marketed!  ... does anyone really know ... has anyone asked the question?

All the successful retailers overdose on feedback ...  customer forums ... online feedback ... they pay to get feedback!

We are offering for free here, lets just hope our club listens!

What would people want to see at half time? Remember half time is only 10 minutes long.

Bands are good ideas, I play in one myself, but I wouldn't bother taking a gig where I was playing to 20 people before the game. I doubt a band would draw people in. Even after the game i doubt a band would make people stay in the Royal Suite.

James

Rams Scoreboard/Facebook/Twitter/Occasional announcer/Teamsheets and much more!

Also, play in a classic rock and metal covers band www.justicerising.co.uk

With you on that Netherton

It's 10 minutes

Other than having the girls dancing and the halftime draw not much time for owt else

May get some audience participation goal kicking, distance kicking,throwing a ball thru a basketball hoop,

Something FUN!, a team game anything that doesn't cost owt but can bring a smile

It's 10 minutes

Think your music has to be prematch.. Need an atmosphere before the game to roll into the terraces.

But what do with the old gimmers of the southstand eh?? ;)

Question is will anyone listen??? WR knows Mark Sawyer and a fair bit about the club? Could you mension these ideas and fans concerns to him please so we can atleest try to bring some life back to the club? If he could arrange s fans forum or meeting to discuss these it would be a big step forward

But what do with the old gimmers of the southstand eh?? ;)

Oy!!!  many of the old glimmers in the south stand like a good band too!!! ... not sure I could kick a goal anymore without injuring myself though

it works at Batley cos there isn't really any ground segregation or competing bars!!    once in the ground its the Royal or the South stand ..  Bailey bar is good but its not in the ground....  

oh ... and I quite like the pie and peas before the game at Batley.. ..   do we sell pie and peas??  

Every company’s greatest assets are its customers, because without customers there is no company.” – Michael LeBoeuf

We franchise the food out

If we did it right it could be a goldmine.

Pie & peas

Steak pie & chips

Traditional match food

When it comes food your looking at least 100% mark up

Cafe open all week for passing trade

Cafe open for the Sunday morning carboot trade

Matchday food

And get more events on the tarmac carpark

Radio controlled car track

Mini moto racing

Even get younget kids showing off their cars and donut skills

Every area has a use of the ground..just needs connections with the people at need the areas

Can't understand we have big rooms unused but don't have any weekly clubs

Gaming tournaments

Poker nights

It just needs imagination

Because that's unlimited

Remember that I talk to the Mark, Tony on a regular basis. So any ideas I can take to them and ask them.

James

We franchise the food out

If we did it right it could be a goldmine.

Pie & peas

Steak pie & chips

Traditional match food

When it comes food your looking at least 100% mark up

Cafe open all week for passing trade

Cafe open for the Sunday morning carboot trade

Matchday food

And get more events on the tarmac carpark

Radio controlled car track

Mini moto racing

Even get younget kids showing off their cars and donut skills

Every area has a use of the ground..just needs connections with the people at need the areas

Can't understand we have big rooms unused but don't have any weekly clubs

Gaming tournaments

Poker nights

It just needs imagination

Because that's unlimited

See if we can persuade nintendo to install a couple of rare pokemons inside the ground, and you'll not be able to shift for geeks - but they might not be the most knowledgeable fans around.Big screen Xbox comps in the royal suite - that should bring the youngsters in - but not BSJ.  ;)

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

We need to branch out with different approaches just becausecits a rugby ground doesn't mean it just had rugby

Need to turn it into a community stadium, batley have a touch and pass jobby once a week where failed players relive their youth and wobble about on the field for couple of hours..won't name a couple to save futher embarrassment.. But it's getting people fit and getting them to the grounds.

Walking football for the old boys which I'm rapidly becoming, I'd do that as a few others would, create a gym club you pay a couple quid a session.

It's all about utilising what we have.

I know that I keep referring to the programme but anyone who took a moment to look at Sunday's will have noted "Flashback":

6th August 2006, Dewsbury Rams 24 - 12 Barrow, ATT: 687

They weren't glory days ten years ago and they aren't now. The issue is getting the people of Dewsbury, Batley, Cumbria, Greater Manchester etc. interested in Rugby League. You could offer free ice cream, bouncy castles, pin a tail on Piggy's Mate but folk still won't come until they have a genuine interest in watching RL. Only by an effective marketing and promotion of the sport as a whole will clubs in the Championship be an attractive proposition to floating or new spectators and we are a long way away from that ever happening I'm afraid.

To answer Chris, yes our demographic is ageing, as is that of the whole of the Championship, that's why it has the nickname the old man's league. Just tell us where in the lower leagues are any clubs succeeding in attracting a younger audience by whatever means. It's a tough battle old lad.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

See if we can persuade nintendo to install a couple of rare pokemons inside the ground, and you'll not be able to shift for geeks - but they might not be the most knowledgeable fans around.Big screen Xbox comps in the royal suite - that should bring the youngsters in - but not BSJ.  ;)

Too late!

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=288258

We need to branch out with different approaches just becausecits a rugby ground doesn't mean it just had rugby

Need to turn it into a community stadium, batley have a touch and pass jobby once a week where failed players relive their youth and wobble about on the field for couple of hours..won't name a couple to save futher embarrassment.. But it's getting people fit and getting them to the grounds.

Walking football for the old boys which I'm rapidly becoming, I'd do that as a few others would, create a gym club you pay a couple quid a session.

It's all about utilising what we have.

Great idea and ideal for 3G pitches. That's what the club is planning to do but they just have to wait until they're built. Rank bad planning again!

Great idea and ideal for 3G pitches. That's what the club is planning to do but they just have to wait until they're built. Rank bad planning again!

No doubt we'll be tendering out running them and sat there with our hand out eh?? Lol

No doubt we'll be tendering out running them and sat there with our hand out eh?? Lol

There will actually be somebody running this side of things. Hopefully, they will do a decent job.

James

Archived