Squads for RLWC 2017 European qualifiers

WALES RECALL SUPER LEAGUE STARS FOR RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS

Reigning European Champions Wales have strengthened their squad for the 2017 Rugby League World Cup European Qualifiers against Serbia and Italy in Pool A, with the return of Super League star quartet, Warrington winger Rhys Evans, Widnes pair Gil Dudson and Lloyd White, and Wigan enforcer Ben Flower.

The initial 29-man train-on squad contains ten Super League players, nine from the Championship, seven via League 1 and two who play overseas; Mackay Cutters’ Andrew Gay and Ollie Olds from South Logan Magpies.

Skipper Craig Kopczak commented: “With coach John Kear coming in, he's steadied the ship; we’ve gone from strength to strength. He's helped a lot especially with the young guys who have been fantastic. It will be good to get back into camp so that we can re-establish our camaraderie. Everyone really looks forward to it, this is a great time to be involved with Wales.”

Widnes hooker Lloyd White added: “I’ve had injuries over the last couple of years, so I’m looking forward to getting back involved. One of my goals this year was to build a bit of consistency. I’ve not worked with John [Kear] before, but I’m looking forward to it.

“We can’t be aiming for anything other than two wins in the Qualifiers. We need to build on the work that some of the younger lads have done over the last two years. I was quite disappointed with how I performed personally and with the team as a whole at the 2013 Rugby League World Cup, so we’ll be looking to right a few wrongs.”

Wales’ 29-man train-on squad

Dan Fleming (Bradford Bulls), Dalton Grant (Dewsbury Rams), Michael Channing (Featherstone Rovers), Elliot Kear, Rhys Williams (London Broncos), Andrew Gay (Mackay Cutters), Rob Massam (North Wales Crusaders), Joe Burke (Oldham), Phil Joseph (Vice Captain) Craig Kopczak (Captain) (Salford Red Devils), Matty Fozard (Sheffield Eagles), Oliver Olds (South Logan Magpies), Courtney Davies, Connor Farrer, Ian Newbury, Christiaan Roets (South Wales Ironmen), Regan Grace, Morgan Knowles, Calvin Wellington (St Helens), Jake Emmitt, Rhodri Lloyd (Swinton Lions), Morgan Evans, Steve Parry, Lewis Reece (University of Gloucestershire All Golds), Anthony Walker (Wakefield Wildcats), Rhys Evans (Warrington Wolves), Gil Dudson, Lloyd White (Widnes Vikings) and Ben Flower (Wigan Warriors)

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

I know Opacic is out injured, but Serbia have Canberra Raiders young gun Nick Cotric who has been confirmed from the Holden cup squad, as well as i believe Jarrod Grant from Wests Tigers Holden Cup Squad.  

Opacic is a big blow for Serbia, very bad news he is out with Injury. 

SPAIN NAME 40-MAN SQUAD FOR WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS

Spain has named a 40-man squad for their 2017 Rugby League World Cup European Pool B Qualifiers against Russia and Ireland in October.

Coach Darren Fisher’s men are aiming to make the finals for the first time, the sport only having been formally played in the country for three years. Adding experience are former French internationals Aurelien Cologni, Mathieu Griffi, Nicolas Munoz and Laurent Carrasco, whilst the son of Catalans Dragons owner Bernard Guasch, Juan, is also included.

Super League Hull FC youngster Joel Laynez is in line for his first call-up whilst six Spanish domestic clubs provide representatives.

Daniel Garcia, Spain’s international Player of the Year and Players’ Player commented: “So far I’ve had an incredible experience playing for my country and the journey is far from over. It’s a very exciting time for rugby league in Spain with people mentioning the World Cup and the opportunity we have to be on the world stage. The qualifiers will be a massive test for us and the world is looking to see what we can do, it’s up to us to put on a good show.”

Spain’s Young Player or the Year, Irreductibles Ivan Ordaz added: “Being involved in the World Cup will make us proud and show all of the hard work has paid off over the past few years. It will be difficult but we will make it happen. We need to believe, play with passion and enjoy the opportunity to test ourselves with some of the best.”

SPAIN 40-MAN TRAIN-ON SQUAD

Chris Lopez (Army Rugby League), Antonio Puerta, Daniel Moreno, Hugo Fernandez, Isaac Pulgar, Pedro Andujar (Custodians Madrid), Richie Perrello, Ivan Ordaz (Irreductibles), Joel Laynez (Hull FC), Aurelien Cologni, Benjamin Tort, Jordan Boudebza (Lezignan Xlll), Clement Laguerre (Los Gossos), Matias Hubert-Garcia (Nantes XV), Alex Doutres, Cedric Bringuier, Leandre Torres, Nicolas Munoz (Palau Xlll), Kevin Aparicio (Paris XV), Matt Dulley (Paterna Dragons), Miguel Charters-Blanco (Seaton Rangers), Juan Guasch, Mathieu Griffi, Pierre Negre (St Esteve), Gonzalo Morro (Tonneins), Aitor Davila, Aitor Romero, Daniel Morales, Juan Pablo Rango, Raul Simo, Ruben Romero, Vicent Cubes (Torrent Tigres), Remy Bueno (Toulouse Broncos), Adria Alonso, Andrew Pilkington, Antonio Tolmos, Hadriel Mehamed, Luis Thorp (Valencia Warriors), Laurent Carrasco (Villeneuve Xlll), Daniel Garcia (Woolston Rovers)

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

I find it astonishing that they would invite Klebanov to be involved in any way, shape or form. That man single handedly destroyed a successful and rapidly developing RRL. If it wasn't for him the Russians would have a professional competition and the Bears would be in and amongst the likes of Samoa, Fiji, France, etc by now.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I find it astonishing that they would invite Klebanov to be involved in any way, shape or form. That man single handedly destroyed a successful and rapidly developing RRL. If it wasn't for him the Russians would have a professional competition and the Bears would be in and amongst the likes of Samoa, Fiji, France, etc by now.

Yes, I totally agree! It certainly raises a lot of questions!!

Can anyone shed any light on his involvement?

Lots of Spanish immigration into France (especially in RL areas) so it'd be unsurprising if these all don't have parents or grandparents. However, Cologni is retired (as I thought was Carrasco aged 40) and will be coaching the French against England the same day Spain play Ireland which will be a stretch...

Exactly, very strange???......how are even these players eligible? Anything goes again.........

Plenty of crossover likely especially given that the French RL heartland is right next to the border with Spain. I'm definitely confused about Carrasco and especially Cologni though, surely that is some kind of mistake.

I respect and admire what Spain have done, but the 40 man list is a joke for me. Why would you call up the current French Coach and one who has retired from playing? And 40 players? I respect some players get injured or unavailable but think naming 40 players is a bit over the top. Not a surprise a number of French players qualify especially the Catalonians as no doubt some forefathers moved to escape Franco etc or maybe to find work in the cities and the Language/Dialect is similar.I wish Spain well and would rather see Spain in the WC to be honest, than Scotland who have 1 amateur team and no real development going on.

Serbia have decided that 40 is an amateurishly small train-on squad and have named 56 players, about 50-50 native Serbians and heritage players mix. As far as I'm aware, Jake Trbojevic is undergoing surgery as I thought was Opacic but if they get any of their NRL players they will do pretty well.

SERBIA 56-MAN TRAIN-ON SQUAD
Stevan Dobric (Belrose Eagles), David Andjelic (Blacktown Workers), Tom Opacic (Brisbane Broncos), Nikola Strbac (Bristol Sonics), Joshua Blenkinsop (Burleigh Bears), Ilija Cotric (Bush Rangers), Reece Grkenic (Cabramatta), Nikola Cotric (Canberra Raiders), Danilo Delic, Nebojsa Zivanovic, Zoran Pesic (Carpentras), Daniel Burke (Collegians), Jason Muranka (Dewsbury Rams), Aleksa Radic, Andrej Mora, Dalibor Samardzic, Dalibor Vukanovic, Radovan Tajsic, Relja Petrovic, Stefan Nedeljkovic, Stevan Stevanovic (Dorcol), George Vujanovic (East Tigers), Djordje Stosic, Filip Stosic (Falcon VR), Milan Radojevic (Fassifern), Adam Nedic (Gunghalin Bulls), Austen Novakovic (Huddersfield Underbank Rangers), Joshua Marjanovic (Kawana Dolphins), Jake Trbojevic, Tom Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles), Aleksandar Pavlovic (Moravas Cheetahs), Dario Abidinovic, Dragan Jankovic, Dzavid Jasari, Nikola Srbljanin, Pavle Vojinovic, Vlado Kusic (Partisan), Marko Milenkovic (Radnicki Nis), Pero Madzarevic, Zarko Kovacevic (Radnicki NP), Milos Calic, Milos Zogovic, Miodrag Tomic, Petar Milanovic, Slobodan Manak, Vladislav Dedic, Vojislav Dedic (Red Star), Chad Grant, Michael Stig (St Clair Comets), Djordje Gak, Stefan Nikolic (Tasmajdan Tigers), Vladica Nikolic (Villeneuve XIII Leopards), James Mircevski (Western Suburbs Magpies), Jordan Grant (Wests Tigers), Dejan Lukenic, Ilija Radan (unaffiliated)

Serbia have decided that 40 is an amateurishly small train-on squad and have named 56 players, about 50-50 native Serbians and heritage players mix. As far as I'm aware, Jake Trbojevic is undergoing surgery as I thought was Opacic but if they get any of their NRL players they will do pretty well.

Even if Opacic can get over to one of the matches and help out or support I'm sure it'll be a great help

And the one-upmanship continues. Italy have named a 65-man squad!

ITALY LOOK TO MAKE SECOND RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD CUP

Italy have named a cosmopolitan train-on squad for their 2017 Rugby League World Cup European Qualifiers Pool A games with Wales and Serbia next month.

A total of 65 players have been included from teams in their domestic competition, England, Wales, France and Australia, as the Azzurri look to qualify for their second successive World Cup.

The headliners are Canberra Raiders’ prop Paul Vaughan who was a stand-out in 2013 and is hoping to make the NRL Grand Final with the Raiders and Hull K.R. pair Terry Campese and Josh Mantellato.

A total of 18 players from six clubs illustrates the growing interest in the sport in Italy, including representatives from their newest clubs, XIII Lovers Palermo and Spartans Catania, in Sicily.

Versatile Ryan Ghietti, who played half-back for the Italians in the last World Cup commented: “To be named in the Italian team has been my goal this year after being a part of the one that qualified for Italy’s first World Cup, that was a tremendous boost for the sport. Then to run out for Italy in all our matches in the 2013 was a huge honour and made me hungry to do it again. I am working hard to get named in the 17-man squad that runs out in Serbia next month to hopefully create more history.”

ITALY 65-MAN TRAIN-ON SQUAD

Simone Boscolo, Matthew Sands (Ariete Este), Christian Bate (Asquith), Dean Parata (Blacktown), Patrik Ziliotti (Brianza Tigers), Joel Reithmuller (Cairns Brothers), Matthew Tedesco (Camden Rams), Paul Vaughan (Canberra Raiders), Joe Tramontana (Canterbury Bulldogs), Remi Fontana (Carpentras XIII), Jayden Walker (Cronulla Sharks), Ben Falcone (Hills Bulls), Terry Campese, Josh Mentallato, (Hull KR), Christophe Calegari (Lezignan Corbieres), Pierangelo Ceretti, Guiseppe Pagani, Luca Rossetti (Lions Brescia), Gavin Hiscox (Mackay Cutters), Luke Poselli (Manly Sea Eagles), Alex Mamonne, Marco Muscatello, Jospeh Napoletano, Angelo Piccone (Mounties), Gioele Celerino (Newcastle Thunder), Jordan Biondi-Odi, Justin Castellaro, Ryan Ghietti, Col Wilkie (Northern Pride), Ty Carucci, Kieran Quabba (North Queensland Cowboys), Richard Lepori (Oldham Roughyeds), Santino Decaro (Oxford RL), Daniel Alvaro, Mason Cerruto (Parramatta Eels), Andy Saunders (Penrith Panthers), Nathan Brown (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Chris Vitalini (South Wales Ironmen), Igor Giammario, Salvatore Catania, Edoardo Pezzano, Matteo Mazzoleni, Asaf Hliwa (Spartans Catania), Shannon Wakeman (St George-Illawarra), Ryan King (Sydney Roosters), Tom Humble, Brenden Santi (Townsville Blackhawks), Blake Cavellarro, Andrew Critiano, Ethan Natoli, Riccardo Parata (Western Suburbs Magpies), Rhys Sciglitano (Wests Tigers), Dario Esposito (Wests Warriors), Ryan Tramonte (Windsor Wolves), Chris Centrone (Wyong Roos), Diego Antl, Mirko Benelli, Lorenzo Luccardi, Emanuele Passera, Raffaele Della Ragione (XIII del Ducato), Francesco Di Trapani, Davide Spinnato (XIII Lovers Palermo), Mirko Bergamesco, Jonathan Marcinczak, Matt Parata (unattached)

Is there a race to see who can name the biggest squad? Stupid and makes a farce of the National Selection Policy for me. Many of them players have no chance of playing for Spain/Italy/Serbia due to injury or other issues. 26 man squad for the WC Qualifiers is the maximum really it should be and even then you will get players who will not get a game. Its only 2 games, not a month long event.

Is there a race to see who can name the biggest squad? Stupid and makes a farce of the National Selection Policy for me. Many of them players have no chance of playing for Spain/Italy/Serbia due to injury or other issues. 26 man squad for the WC Qualifiers is the maximum really it should be and even then you will get players who will not get a game. Its only 2 games, not a month long event.

They have to name them now and cannot bring in outside of these squads... so with a month to go, clearly the wide net is being cast. When it boils down to it, injuries and other factors will wipe some players out. Plus it will be some mind games... look at our NRL stars... who MAY be playing. One thing is for certain, one hour before KO the teams will be boiled down to 17 players. And a World Cup spot is at stake. Lets be positive about it!

They have to name them now and cannot bring in outside of these squads... so with a month to go, clearly the wide net is being cast. When it boils down to it, injuries and other factors will wipe some players out. Plus it will be some mind games... look at our NRL stars... who MAY be playing. One thing is for certain, one hour before KO the teams will be boiled down to 17 players. And a World Cup spot is at stake. Lets be positive about it!

But lets also be realistic! If you know that for 99% that a player will not be playing and everybody knows that, then why name him? 

Archived