League 1 Shield: BBC response

Reference CAS-3938799-C987BC

Thank you for getting in contact with us regarding our coverage of the Rugby League.

I appreciate you feel the BBC are not offering coverage of both Super 8 and League 1 Shield games on the fixtures and results pages of the BBC Sport website.

After having a look online through the website itself, the issues you have told us about seem to have been fixed as I have managed to find a results and fixtures subsection of the Kingstone Press League 1 that focuses on both Super 8 and League 1 shield matches. You can find the fixtures and results through these respective online links:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/league-one/fixtures

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/league-one/results

Because the BBC pools its results, fixtures and news knowledge from different sources, sometimes the BBC Sport website will go through a period of transition where it aims to reflect the changing face of a particular sport as it changes format. However, I hope this information proves useful for you.

Once again, thank you for getting in contact with us.

Kind regards

Daniel Stewart

BBC Complaints Team

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

Fair enough, seems to be sorted.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Fair enough, seems to be sorted.

Yep. Good to know they do listen sometimes.... now to get BBC Sport Wales to recognise and report Rugby League - I do like a challenge!

Now to get the BBC to cover English rugby league in the English rugby section of "my sport", or at least label the rugby section correctly. i.e. "English rugby union". I have tried but after I was assured that they would cover English rugby league in future in this section, they didn't. I followed it up and was then informed that my request wasn't an issue of significant importance and that no action would be taken. Although my previous contact with the BBC resulted in a response that rugby league would be covered, so at that point was of significant importance. I think one league story was covered and that was it. I can only assume that the BBC no longer considered it an issue!

Now to get the BBC to cover English rugby league in the English rugby section of "my sport", or at least label the rugby section correctly. i.e. "English rugby union". I have tried but after I was assured that they would cover English rugby league in future in this section, they didn't. I followed it up and was then informed that my request wasn't an issue of significant importance and that no action would be taken. Although my previous contact with the BBC resulted in a response that rugby league would be covered, so at that point was of significant importance. I think one league story was covered and that was it. I can only assume that the BBC no longer considered it an issue!

Skids,

They must have a 'cut and paste' department; thats very much the same repl I've been getting about Wales Rugby League from BBC Sport Wales. They failed to cover Crusaders in 2013, winning Championship 1, 100% home record and the Northern Rail Shield. They weren't nominated in team of the year for the Wales version of Sports Personality of the Year. Last season Wales RL won the European Championship - not a mention....

So my sympathies are with you in trying to deal with the BBC. It is very frustrating... but at least they dealt with the League 1 shield, and very quickly so maybe things have changed for the better.  It could be worth another try?

Slightly of topic thought. As League 1 isn't included in the Sky contract, if the Cru reached the Shield final, would S4C be interested in covering it?

Are you sure it isn't included I thought they did show some league 1 games last year.

Archived