RLWC 2017 "launch" - well, a logo, gets launched

http://www.nrl.com/two-years-to-go-until-rlwc2017/tabid/10874/newsid/91074/default.aspx

So now we have a logo and a board:

The full RLWC2017 Board consists of: 

Dr George Peponis (Chairman)
Andrew Fraser (NRL Head of Strategy and Investment)
Garry Fissenden (NZRL Chairman)
John Bishop (NZRL Director)
David Collier (RLIF CEO)
Nigel Wood (RLIF Chairman)

Register your interest and get ticket information at

www.RLWC2017.com

Where's George Peponis been the last decade or so? For trivia buffs, George is the only Greek-born player to captain a GF-winning team. Also the only Greek-born player to captain OZ in a 3-0 series win over GB. (Probably also the only doctor to do those as well. Nathan Gibbs did captain Souths but they didn't win anything and Gibbs didn't finish his MD until after he retired.)

Where's George Peponis been the last decade or so? For trivia buffs, George is the only Greek-born player to captain a GF-winning team. Also the only Greek-born player to captain OZ in a 3-0 series win over GB.

I didn't realise you Aussies had been pinching other countries' players for so long.

rldfsignature.jpg

What are the credentials of the members of the board, aside from the Brits? Are they thought to be heavyweight administrators (no Nigel jokes please)?

George Peponis was Chairman of Canterbury. Andrew Fraser is the former Treasurer and Deputy Premier of Qld. (The State, not the Origin team.) I don't know anything about the Kiwis.

I didn't realise you Aussies had been pinching other countries' players for so long.

Our talent spotting is so good we brought George over here before he'd even seen a game of RL.

How much voting will they need? The OZ and NZ teams will be in different pools. The NZers will run the NZ pool based in NZ, the others will run the other 3 pools based in OZ and PNG. The PNG games (games played in PNG) will pick themselves. The only real questions are:

- Sydney v Brisbane: who gets the opener and who gets the final? Where is OZ based?

- Does ENG go in the NZ pool or OZ pool?

- Who gets the Perth game? (and Melbourne, although Melbourne isn't such a liability. ENG and NZ have both pulled big crowds there.)

Most of the rest is pretty straightforward:

- Lebanon should be based in Sydney

- Samoa should be based in Sydney or Auckland (Tonga likewise)

- Italy should draw well in Sydney or Melbourne.

- expats from USA, France, Scotland, Wales are all broadly scattered across OZ and NZ

- the other teams just fill whatever gaps are left.

If the RLWC2017 schedule was a Sudoku, I'd rate it Easy or Beginner level.

He's a "comedian".

I would have thought it made most sense for Scotland, Tonga and Samoa to play in NZ. Wellington and Christchurch, as well as Auckland.

PNG could play anyone.

England could play in Oz's group, and play in Perth. Am guessing the plan will be for Oz Eng to kick it off in Sydney, and for England to play in Perth.

Italy and Lebanon should be based in Sydney.

Brisbane and Auckland for semis, Sydney for the final.

1/4s Auckland, Melbourne (?), North Queensland, Canberra???? Other group games at proper league places - reward the loyal, and don't stretch the organisation too thinly.

I can't see us going wrong, with imagination, marketing and ambition.

• 4 months later...

How much promotion has there been at this early stage? I m just asking because I m in New Orleans and have met a couple from Cairns who said they are RL fans but had heard nothing about the 2017 World Cup.

There has been next to no promotion of the Australia v NZ test next week, let alone the rlwc. Most rugby league fans would have no idea we are hosting it next year unfortunately.

Most of the rest is pretty straightforward:

- Lebanon should be based in Sydney

- Samoa should be based in Sydney or Auckland (Tonga likewise)

- Italy should draw well in Sydney or Melbourne.

- expats from USA, France, Scotland, Wales are all broadly scattered across OZ and NZ

- the other teams just fill whatever gaps are left.

If the RLWC2017 schedule was a Sudoku, I'd rate it Easy or Beginner level.

Italy hasn't qualified yet.  If Wales qualifies they should be based in Newcastle.

Archived