England Selection Policy

I'll be honest. I'm still seething about the Semi Radradra selection for Australia.

We've established it's the rules that have allowed this to happen. The following the world sporting landscape as a template for our rules.

There's nothing saying we have to do that, we just are.

My first plea would be to change that so we are not any longer and have something to keep the best players for their countries.

Then England can follow these too and will be on a level playing field.

The reality is that the rules are not like that, and England by excluding players who are eligible to play are handicapping themselves.

What we have seen is one selection by Australia has led to the RLIF scrambling a session to change the rules.

I wonder what would happen if England picked the best players available to them.

For example, Rhys Hanbury, and Dave Taylor are currently eligible and playing well, and there are probably many others who are eligible through residency.

Would that force the hand of the RLIF to change the rules?

Because as I said, no one wants to see this sort of selection, but until the rules are changed other teams are getting away with it while we are not on a level playing field by our own choosing.

Dave Taylor is playing well but he is not international quality. I don't care if his gran is from Wigan pier - he didn't give a stuff about playing for England before this year. Same thing with Adam Cuthbertson.

We don't need to pick these guys. We are blessed with forward options.

Dave Taylor is playing well but he is not international quality. I don't care if his gran is from Wigan pier - he didn't give a stuff about playing for England before this year. Same thing with Adam Cuthbertson.

We don't need to pick these guys. We are blessed with forward options.

But the question is, if they were better, what happens then? You can talk about individual cases, but if there's someone better what happens?

But the question is, if they were better, what happens then? You can talk about individual cases, but if there's someone better what happens?

I would say that the RFL or England RL could nip this in the bud straight away. They could say that players must have shown a period of commitment to England over a number of years and must qualify through birth or parent. They can say we will not select players on the grandparent rule or residency. We don't need to so we can say what we like.

I dont think we should choose anyone who has played for another nation, but im more relaxed about grandparent and residency rules.

Im not a massive fan of the fact that Ben Currie played for Ireland v England in 2013 yet could play for England v Ireland in 2017.

That said, other sports dont worry about it, cricket, ru and athletics in particular have few issues around taking advantage of eligibility rules.

Eoin Morgan played for Ireland for 7 years before playing for England and is now captain of England.

England RU have used plenty of overseas players, including Henry Paul and Lesley Vainokolo.

And so on.

Maybe we should just be a touch more accepting and enjoy the games.

I dont think we should choose anyone who has played for another nation, but im more relaxed about grandparent and residency rules.

Im not a massive fan of the fact that Ben Currie played for Ireland v England in 2013 yet could play for England v Ireland in 2017.

That said, other sports dont worry about it, cricket, ru and athletics in particular have few issues around taking advantage of eligibility rules.

Eoin Morgan played for Ireland for 7 years before playing for England and is now captain of England.

England RU have used plenty of overseas players, including Henry Paul and Lesley Vainokolo.

And so on.

Maybe we should just be a touch more accepting and enjoy the games.

I get where you are coming from but a bloke turning up at a SL club and then saying 'hey my granny is from Cumbria' after showing no interest at all in playing for England previously is pretty awkward.

I get where you are coming from but a bloke turning up at a SL club and then saying 'hey my granny is from Cumbria' after showing no interest at all in playing for England previously is pretty awkward.

couldnt agree more, I think the head coach or management need to make that call after speaking to them though.

The Aussies wont select players who come over to SL and the All Blacks only select players in their domestic comp so I think as a nation we can set our own principles, which i think was the point of the thread.

That's my issue.

Maybe England should investigate which players in the NRL are actually eligible for England first and ask them if they'd declare if selected so they know?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I keep reading we don't need to - when was the last time we beat Australia?

They're doing it and when was the last time they lost to us? Some would say they don't need to but they are anyway.

I'm just fed up with the rules as they are and want to instigate the RLIF sorting out the eligibility criteria

They're doing it and when was the last time they lost to us? Some would say they don't need to but they are anyway.

I'm just fed up with the rules as they are and want to instigate the RLIF sorting out the eligibility criteria

I think we are playing by the same rules. We have used the likes of Fa'asavalu and Chase, but I dont think Taylor and Hanbury will be the clinchers in the 4N.

Why not see what we can come up with over the next two tournaments? This core England side has been together now for 2-3 years. I believe it is very capable of winning the 4N this year. What it doesn't need is Dave Taylor g'day-ing his way into the squad and causing a stir. 

Leave Taylor to France. 

However, you'd be fine with Whitehead-Bateman-Currie-Farrel at centres. Jamie Shaul at FB. 

England have enough talent, you just need to pick the players that are in form. 

No more Leeds players this year.

SL is not strong enough to adopt an RFU style selection policy of only selecting players from the English domestic comp.

Not only would this dramatically weaken the England team, but would potentially lead to ridiculous situations RU has faced where Nick Abendannon and Steffon Armitage (European player of the year in 2013/14 IIRC) were not selected for England come the internationals.

I think we should have confidence in the RLIF. David Collier has brought good new momentum. Within a year we have seen the Intercontinental Cup agreed at board level, and a willingness to take on the Aussies re allowing Paicifc Island Interntionals to be eligible for SOO. Brave moves and they deserve some patience.

I think we are playing by the same rules. We have used the likes of Fa'asavalu and Chase, but I dont think Taylor and Hanbury will be the clinchers in the 4N.

and Sarginson.

That's my issue.

Maybe England should investigate which players in the NRL are actually eligible for England first and ask them if they'd declare if selected so they know?

Every player registered with the NRL nominates his country of eligibility and any other (heritage or residence) when he completes his registration. It's simply a matter of searching the NRL players database.

I think we should have confidence in the RLIF. David Collier has brought good new momentum. Within a year we have seen the Intercontinental Cup agreed at board level, and a willingness to take on the Aussies re allowing Paicifc Island Interntionals to be eligible for SOO. Brave moves and they deserve some patience.

Origin is a domestic comp that has nothing to do with the RLIF. Would you let the RLIF set the rules for the Challenge Cup?

I think Ben Currie is a good example where yeah he played for Ireland at the 2013 RLWC but if he had to just pick one nation and stick with it, he would have never played for Ireland at all and they'd have been a weaker team for it. He played for England at u16s and u18s so you'd imagine would have just waited for England.

But it would be a fairer reflection of the state of RL in Ireland and better for the game here in the long run. I don't know how I'm expected to support a team with someone like Ben Currie in it, when I know he would rather be playing for England. It's the complete antithesis of being Irish! When Ireland beat France in the Euros a couple of years ago my reaction was to be sad for the game. That's not a sign of a healthy international game.

It will be interesting to see what would happen if the likes of Taylor or Solomona just openly declared for England without any invitation from England RL, like what happened with Radradra and Australia. I think in that case Australia were kind of forced to select him on his merits as to not do so on the basis of "you're not really Australian" would have been discriminatory.

I'll be honest. I'm still seething about the Semi Radradra selection for Australia.

We've established it's the rules that have allowed this to happen. The following the world sporting landscape as a template for our rules.

There's nothing saying we have to do that, we just are.

My first plea would be to change that so we are not any longer and have something to keep the best players for their countries.

Then England can follow these too and will be on a level playing field.

The reality is that the rules are not like that, and England by excluding players who are eligible to play are handicapping themselves.

What we have seen is one selection by Australia has led to the RLIF scrambling a session to change the rules.

I wonder what would happen if England picked the best players available to them.

For example, Rhys Hanbury, and Dave Taylor are currently eligible and playing well, and there are probably many others who are eligible through residency.

Would that force the hand of the RLIF to change the rules?

Because as I said, no one wants to see this sort of selection, but until the rules are changed other teams are getting away with it while we are not on a level playing field by our own choosing.

Players like Radradra have made a permanent move to Australia.

They have not moved there on a three year contract with all intentions of going "home" once their work is complete.

Dave Taylor is unlikely to move permanently to France or England.

Rangi Chase appears to be the only long term resident.

Australia has provided far more Australian born players to other Nations than it has ever "poached" from immigrants that have move there.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

SL is not strong enough to adopt an RFU style selection policy of only selecting players from the English domestic comp.

Not only would this dramatically weaken the England team, but would potentially lead to ridiculous situations RU has faced where Nick Abendannon and Steffon Armitage (European player of the year in 2013/14 IIRC) were not selected for England come the internationals.

Can you put some kind of 'spoiler alert' before you start throwing this kind of rah rah stuff out there.  I read nearly all of that and some of the information actually went into my head.

Players like Radradra have made a permanent move to Australia.

They have not moved there on a three year contract with all intentions of going "home" once their work is complete.

Dave Taylor is unlikely to move permanently to France or England.

Rangi Chase appears to be the only long term resident.

Australia has provided far more Australian born players to other Nations than it has ever "poached" from immigrants that have move there.

How do you know that? What if Parra offload him and he gets signed by French RU - something his manager was threatening to do when he threw his dummy out over Origin.

How do you know that? What if Parra offload him and he gets signed by French RU - something his manager was threatening to do when he threw his dummy out over Origin.

His Manager said that, I am not sure if Semi said anything of the sort.

Did he move to France when he couldn't qualify for Origin?

His Manager said that, I am not sure if Semi said anything of the sort.

He has come here for work nothing more. He could well be living outside of Australia in a couple of years. If Wigan signed him as a marquee signing he would be a Fiji born and bred player, eating pies in the north west of England and eligible for Australia. That has got to stink however you gloss it up. 

He has come here for work nothing more. He could well be living outside of Australia in a couple of years. If Wigan signed him as a marquee signing he would be a Fiji born and bred player, eating pies in the north west of England and eligible for Australia. That has got to stink however you gloss it up. 

Are you Australian?

He has lived in Australia for four years.

As a 19 year old he played in the Holden Cup before playing for feeder Club Wentworthville Leagues then Parramatta.

Plenty of Oz Schoolboy players have decided to play for other Nations.

What do you suggest the eligibility should be?

I don't care if his gran is from Wigan pier - he didn't give a stuff about playing for England before this year. 

Is that a poem? You lost the iambic pentameter in the second line.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived