Hull FC sign Jake Conner from Giants for 2017

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloody hell, this has caught me out!

Absolutely delighted with this signing. I remember first seeing him a while back having an outstanding game for Hudds and wondering who he was and where they'd signed him from, not realising he was only a kid.

Great stuff.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Good signing.  Not the finished article yet but definitely one to watch for the future and joining a very strong set of potentially very good young players for Hull.

I wonder if this has had an impact of the sacking of Paul Anderson?  Can't hold onto promising young players?  Got to go.

This is a great piece of business by hull FC as this kid can be an England international for years to come. Just need to find out what his best position is and let him master it for his, FC's and England's sake. Alarm bells must be ringing at the giants as the wheels are well and truly starting to come off at that club and you just get the feeling that their time has been and gone. I'd expect more big names to leave as well.

This is a great piece of business by hull FC as this kid can be an England international for years to come. Just need to find out what his best position is and let him master it for his, FC's and England's sake. Alarm bells must be ringing at the giants as the wheels are well and truly starting to come off at that club and you just get the feeling that their time has been and gone. I'd expect more big names to leave as well.

Been messed about badly really, plenty of talent, very little pace. Good luck to him at Hull, It will depend on Coaching.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

Not entirely sure how we will line up, but the way I'm looking at it is that Griffin is a replacement for Michaels and Connor for Pryce.

At this stage I reckon our backs will be, Shaul, Talanoa, Connor, Griffin, Fonua, Tuimavave, Sneyd. But I expect Connor will also provide some cover/competition at 6. Then we have Naughton, Lancaster, Logan and probably Yeaman providing 3/4 cover.

Good signing for Hull, he's a supremely talented lad, if not the best athlete, doesn't have much pace, but he has bucketloads of talent, aggression and desire. can play in numerous positions too, so very handy.

Think he had fallen out with PA (not the first or the last if rumours are true) and he was on his way out before PA got the chop.

oh and sorry to be pedantic but it's Connor, not Conner.

Good signing for Hull, he's a supremely talented lad, if not the best athlete, doesn't have much pace, but he has bucketloads of talent, aggression and desire. can play in numerous positions too, so very handy.

Think he had fallen out with PA (not the first or the last if rumours are true) and he was on his way out before PA got the chop.

oh and sorry to be pedantic but it's Connor, not Conner.

I blame autocorrect

Been messed about badly really, plenty of talent, very little pace. Good luck to him at Hull, It will depend on Coaching.

What's he's best position? From the little I've seen of him I think he could be top quality centre.

We're building a lot of depth, that's for sure!

Think we're still after another half back/hooker.

Apparantly we had a couple of NRL 6's targeted but they came to nothing, so Tuimavave will get the 6 shirt. It wouldn't suprise me if we look to the championship for a half back prospect though. We do need hooker cover, but its a tough sell to tell someone they will be warming the bench unless the cyborg that currently plays 9 breaks down. Maybe we will put our faith in Jez Litten.

To be honest, I haven't seen Connor in action very often, but he does look like a real talent.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Apparantly we had a couple of NRL 6's targeted but they came to nothing, so Tuimavave will get the 6 shirt. It wouldn't suprise me if we look to the championship for a half back prospect though. We do need hooker cover, but its a tough sell to tell someone they will be warming the bench unless the cyborg that currently plays 9 breaks down. Maybe we will put our faith in Jez Litten.

Yeah, I'm thinking more a player then can cover both hooker and half back. I'm sure there's plenty of chance in one of our halves breaking! We need more cover here. We've got it everywhere else.

Tommy Leuluai will do nicely...

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

What's he's best position? From the little I've seen of him I think he could be top quality centre.

Chris Thorman at a pre season forum for the supporters association said that he's got all the qualities to play in the halves, but sees him as a centre.

He can play full back but doesn't have the energy or pace for FB, having seen him develop i would say centre is his best position followed by stand off.

Connor is a talented player with good skills; he can do the unexpected. As the other Giants fans on here have posted he is pretty slow but guile and experience might compensate for that. He is prone to being gobby, giving away penalties and getting involved in niggle. He's fairly small for a modern centre. He can struggle when targeted in defence. 

He will provide good cover in the backs for Hull.

Clearly the opportunity to play at stand off when Pryce leaves has been the deciding factor and there have been rumours of a split between Baloo and some of the players for a while now

Connor will do OK but isn't a world beater just yet, another few years to go, he can be anything he wants to be but may not like being a 'utility' player, which he will be if he doesn't gel with Sneyd - interesting one and one to look out for

Giants now have Wardle and Patrick gone, Connor gone, big Eorl is still full of passion but not as fit as he once was, Huby by all accounts is a crock now and may not last long, the Giants are paying out good money for new players like Symonds and the lad from St George whose name I can never remember! - and there is a lot of youth coming through in key positions

Jamie Ellis isn't a replacement for Brough and hats the position that needs strengthening in the medium term - short term MORE PROPS PLEASE

Otherwise I think next season is one of potential - lots to be happy about - there is pace in the Giants side but Connor didn't have any and isn't the key to the Giants future at half back\stand off - that's going to be a hand in the pocket job I am afraid

I still think the Giants will win the CC this year - sticking with it after saying they would on one of the re season forums - if not certainly the final

The big key is who the coach is going to be - the Giants academy has improved since the last RFL review so there is a lot to look at - and a good coaching appointment would set us up for a good couple of years and possibly attract some good players from elsewhere

Keep seeing the name Geoff Toovey and that would be good but I've not heard any other rumours

Has anyone else

I thought that FC had a few young halfbacks coming through the ranks like Reece dean, Harry Tyson-Wilson and Jordan Abdull??

I thought that FC had a few young halfbacks coming through the ranks like Reece dean, Harry Tyson-Wilson and Jordan Abdull??

If rumours are to be believed Dean has signed for the Wolfpack. HTW still has a future I think, but I'm not sure he would work next to Sneyd, too similar. We may well decide to go with Abdull and HTW as half back cover, I'm only speculating.

Clearly the opportunity to play at stand off when Pryce leaves has been the deciding factor and there have been rumours of a split between Baloo and some of the players for a while now

Connor will do OK but isn't a world beater just yet, another few years to go, he can be anything he wants to be but may not like being a 'utility' player, which he will be if he doesn't gel with Sneyd - interesting one and one to look out for

Giants now have Wardle and Patrick gone, Connor gone, big Eorl is still full of passion but not as fit as he once was, Huby by all accounts is a crock now and may not last long, the Giants are paying out good money for new players like Symonds and the lad from St George whose name I can never remember! - and there is a lot of youth coming through in key positions

Jamie Ellis isn't a replacement for Brough and hats the position that needs strengthening in the medium term - short term MORE PROPS PLEASE

Otherwise I think next season is one of potential - lots to be happy about - there is pace in the Giants side but Connor didn't have any and isn't the key to the Giants future at half back\stand off - that's going to be a hand in the pocket job I am afraid

I still think the Giants will win the CC this year - sticking with it after saying they would on one of the re season forums - if not certainly the final

The big key is who the coach is going to be - the Giants academy has improved since the last RFL review so there is a lot to look at - and a good coaching appointment would set us up for a good couple of years and possibly attract some good players from elsewhere

Keep seeing the name Geoff Toovey and that would be good but I've not heard any other rumours

Has anyone else

Where has Wardle gone? Thought it was still a rumour about him going to Newcastle

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Good job it wasn't John Connor.

Can you imagine the damage a T1000 would do storming through the KC looking for him.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Seems Hull, rather shrewdly, haven't actually signed Jake Connor yet.

The agreement is that Hull will sign Connor at the end of the season following his 22nd birthday, as long as he passes a medical. That way they reckon they'll avoid having to pay a transfer fee, although the Hudds Chief Exec reckons...

"This move is likely to cost Hull FC in excess of six figures"  :ohmy: 

Would that make Jake the first ever £1 million pound RL player?  :huh:

Article here.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Seems Hull, rather shrewdly, haven't actually signed Jake Connor yet.

The agreement is that Hull will sign Connor at the end of the season following his 22nd birthday, as long as he passes a medical. That way they reckon they'll avoid having to pay a transfer fee, although the Hudds Chief Exec reckons...

"This move is likely to cost Hull FC in excess of six figures"  :ohmy: 

Would that make Jake the first ever £1 million pound RL player?  :huh:

Article here.

I sincerely hope Hull "have acted in line with RFL regulations" as the spokesperson for the club says.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Archived