The forgotten Competition

All the major sites RFL,BBC and Sky have completely ignored the Kingstone Press League1 Shield.

There are no fixtures,results or tables.

That's very poor from the RFL to slight one of their major sponsors efforts.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

All the major sites RFL,BBC and Sky have completely ignored the Kingstone Press League1 Shield.

There are no fixtures,results or tables.

That's very poor from the RFL to slight one of their major sponsors efforts.

I thought this might happen (or something similar). It is the same with attendances. You can't just expect media outlets to be constantly on the ball when you continually change the structure of a competition - including changing the whole make-up two-thirds of the way through. That is the job of a sport's (i.e. RFL) media department - banging this home and following up etc.

I didn't realise the RFL had a position on the board of governors at the BBC.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I didn't realise the RFL had a position on the board of governors at the BBC.

They don't need a position on the board, they simply need to get up off their backside, walk across the plaza in Salford Quays and have a chat to someone in BBC Sport! Or even meet them half way and buy them lunch.

I can't get my head around how anyone would sell this tournament. It's a competition to see who is the 8th/9th best team in League One. How do you convince journalists this is a trophy that matters?

the same way other sports do for things like the Uefa Cup, Johnstone Paints Trophy (or whatever it is now), or the RU Euro Challenge Cup.

It is an organised tournament just like any other.

Isnt League One just to decide who is the 25th best team in the UK structure by your reasoning?

Given that, from time to time in these fora, there has been criticism of The Times and The Sunday Times, it is perhaps worth noting that, in the latter's southern edition today (as circulating in Wiltshire), there were indeed the League 1 Shield results (as well as a back page report, in the sports section, of the Wire V Giants game) 

I have no duty in life to defend Times newspapers, but am just keen to see a balanced view of things recorded here!

They don't need a position on the board, they simply need to get up off their backside, walk across the plaza in Salford Quays and have a chat to someone in BBC Sport! Or even meet them half way and buy them lunch.

Is that how it's done these days?

Is that how it's done these days?

That's how it has been done for years and surely is the reason the RFL moved it's media team from Red Hall to Media City! If not, why are they wasting the money?

I basically assumed that the shield started a week later when I couldn't find the results or the table.

Given that they show the NCL, all pro games should be covered. The RFL need to get them on as many sites as possible.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I can't get my head around how anyone would sell this tournament. It's a competition to see who is the 8th/9th best team in League One. How do you convince journalists this is a trophy that matters?

It is a naff little tournament and I type that as a fan of one of the competing teams. But if it is to go ahead, then it should at the very least be given some appropriate support by the sport's governing body.

Archived