Sheffield Eagles

League Express article states there are two interested parties who are in talks to takeover the club. May I ask why is it taking so long? It's been at this stage for sometime.

The article states they are looking for some to not just takeover the club but develop the stadium and hotel complex, aswell as keeping the club full time.

Huge potential for the club in that they'll be able to create their own revenue and have their own stadium.

Is this likely to be brought to a close anytime soon.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure the potential investors are trying to make sure that they are getting the best deal possible, ensuring that they pay as little as possible for the existing assets whilst also possibly trying to ensure that they don't inherit any surprises (ie. Points deduction if the RFL deems that the club became insolvent at any stage).

Considering it took the Crusaders close to 6 months to finally sort out their ownership change, I honestly am not surprised that Sheffield is dragging on.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

There is a consistent haze of misinformation that comes out of the Sheffield set up, and that has long been their problem.

Let it be clear - it isn't nor ever will be THEIR stadium. It is a part of a much bigger complex with significant government funding support. the stadium was conceived as being for multi-sports use of which Sheffield Eagles might be a tenant.

Any future investors (who are known to be queuing up down the M1) will first have to fill the debt black-whole that accompanies the club. They are in serious financial difficulties and the continuous stream of optimistic press releases gives the impression of a club in denial or of delusion.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

As an Eagles supporter I cannot agree more with you. I have stopped believing anything they tell me long ago. From what I gather most of the players have signed for new clubs anyway so if interested party does invest it's going to be hard to find new players as most will have resigned or been signed by new clubs. I don't hold out much hope tbh

There is a consistent haze of misinformation that comes out of the Sheffield set up, and that has long been their problem.

Let it be clear - it isn't nor ever will be THEIR stadium. It is a part of a much bigger complex with significant government funding support. the stadium was conceived as being for multi-sports use of which Sheffield Eagles might be a tenant.

Any future investors (who are known to be queuing up down the M1) will first have to fill the debt black-whole that accompanies the club. They are in serious financial difficulties and the continuous stream of optimistic press releases gives the impression of a club in denial or of delusion.

Who will own the stadium and what will the name be on the main stand or perimeter?

How much is the debt and to whom is it owed?

As an Eagles supporter I cannot agree more with you. I have stopped believing anything they tell me long ago. From what I gather most of the players have signed for new clubs anyway so if interested party does invest it's going to be hard to find new players as most will have resigned or been signed by new clubs. I don't hold out much hope tbh

Name the players and the clubs to whom they have signed - barring the club facing the winding-up order who are not named Bradford?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Who will own the stadium and what will the name be on the main stand or perimeter?

How much is the debt and to whom is it owed?

Name the players and the clubs to whom they have signed - barring the club facing the winding-up order who are not named Bradford?

1. It won't be Sheffield Eagles. In my experience stadiums are usually owned by whoever pays for them.

2. Outstanding loans into six figures.

3. Repeating the statement made by Mark Aston.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2. Outstanding loans into six figures.

3. Repeating the statement made by Mark Aston.

2. In the words of the CEO,in the local press dated 'end of June'ish' - “He knows his rugby league and has been looking to invest in a club in England for a while. He is interested by the fact that we don’t have any overdraft or loans to pay.”

That particular consortium has now lost interest but has been replaced by another - the statement about there being no debt has been iterated and reiterated elsewhere.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/sheffield-eagles/australian-investors-show-interest-in-sheffield-eagles-and-new-stadium-1-7987605

3. I thought I hung on each and every word of Mr Aston  - but it seems there is an obsession from those in west Yorkshire regarding Mr Aston.

I'll not ask to be pointed in the direction of these imaginary statements.

2 possibly 3,out of contract players will be leaving.In one statement from Mr Aston 14 remain on contract.

The playing season doesn't end until October. Plenty time for all things to be sorted. 

• 2 weeks later...

If Mark Aston is delivering statements to his players telling them to look elsewhere, it is akin to a priest giving the "last rights", such a shame, and especially for the players and the band of ardent followers they have remaining.

Sadly, the populace of Sheffield don't seem to care about a Rugby League in their city, or else they would not have been in this position. It is looking very bleak for the club.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Not looking good at all, hope they can turn things around.

Just 380 fans showed up for their match against Workington last week, that is no basis for running a full time club imo.

Not to be insensitive but if the Eagles did fold completely (I hope they don't) then what would that mean for Workington and Whitehaven? Would the one who finished higher get to remain in the Championship?

Sadly, the populace of Sheffield don't seem to care about a Rugby League in their city, or else they would not have been in this position. It is looking very bleak for the club.

I don't think they have had the opportunity to give an indication whether they do,or do not care about the sport.

Won the cc in 98.Moved to Huddersfield in 99.

Reformed and nomadic .

As for next year - Will another club from League 1 be promoted or will Toronto be parachuted straight into the Championship?

As for next year - Will another club from League 1 be promoted or will Toronto be parachuted straight into the Championship?

I hope not or there will be marching in the street of Hunslet. They need to earn their stripes - none of this ambition clap trap.

I don't think they have had the opportunity to give an indication whether they do,or do not care about the sport.

Reformed and nomadic .

My indication Angel is the support they have not had, when having a reasonable team.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Not to be insensitive but if the Eagles did fold completely (I hope they don't) then what would that mean for Workington and Whitehaven? Would the one who finished higher get to remain in the Championship?

As a Town fan I hope that isn't the case. We weren't good enough to stay up and I would rather we didn't get a stay of execution on the back of another club's demise.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Reformed and nomadic .

The people of Sheffield are not interested I was in a pub and asked for the rugby match to be put on on a Saturday afternoon when no football match was being shown but they preferred sitting watching the football scores coming in. People had the opportunity to come to Don Valley but they didn't

My indication Angel is the support they have not had, when having a reasonable team.

Don Valley was an athletics stadium where the action was some distance away.

The club had no infrastructure and nil marketing.

Only the diehards made themselves aware of where they were playing.

I would guess that only London have endured a more nomadic existence - and they have enjoyed more years in the upper echelons

Had they got a stadium at the OLP then the club could have made an effort to boost attendances.

The odd year here and the odd year there made it futile to try and attract support.

If Mark Aston is delivering statements to his players telling them to look elsewhere, it is akin to a priest giving the "last rights", such a shame, and especially for the players and the band of ardent followers they have remaining.

the populace of Sheffield don't seem to care about a Rugby League in their city,

Genuine question: why should they?

the populace of Sheffield don't seem to care about a Rugby League in their city,

Genuine question: why should they?

Sorry for my grammar John, I write on a touch pad, the word "team" should follow Rugby League.

There is no reason whatsoever the should care about a RL Team in their city, I was making the point that one has been provided, originated in 1984, for a year there was the shambles of the Huddersfield merger, and as the Angel says have been nomadic, from memory apart from playing in Doncaster for a season have been within the confines of the city somewhere.

My point being, the good folk of Sheffield have not taken to the sport in sufficient numbers to make it a viable business, it must be heartbreaking for all those who have expended energy and finance in trying to make it work, but sadly it is not looking as though they can carry on, as expressed by Mr Aston.

Sad state of affairs all round.If the city of Sheffield haven't taken the sport to their hearts then that is their decision. My opinion is that whoever took the decision to take the club full time with no ground and small fan base and not being able to attract new fans should be blamed for the clubs potential demise.It's a bit like Oldham going full time,we don't get the crowds to support that,but we also know that.I just feel for the fans,players and coaches,it must be sole destroying.

Archived