Lance Todd Trophy Voting

I don't know the exact timing, but, it is always taken to allow enough time for the winner to be announced before the end of the game. With modern communications I think it should be possible to leave it until the last few minutes. We are talking about RL journalists here, most still think RL is only available in black and white.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

It's ridiculous. I don't understand the need to announce the MOM before the end of the game either. They could do something competent ridiculous in the last minute and ruin the game. Just announce it at full time.

Sneyd played fantastically yesterday, but he wasn't MOM compared to Houghton.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Sneyd in my view was the deserved winner, yes Houghton tackled his heart out and played extremely well, but it was Sneyd's kicking that turned the game on its head and came up with the decisive plays.

I suppose it's all subjective, I'd have gone for Daryl Clark, for setting up Wire's second try.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I suppose it's all subjective, I'd have gone for Daryl Clark, for setting up Wire's second try.

They don't vote on one moment, it is who overall had the biggest influence on the game.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Sneyd had the single biggest influence. He created Hull's tries, the 40-20, goal line dropout etc. Warrington kept an eye on him in the first half but they gave him a bit more time in the second half, that's the mark of a good player.

During the World Cup, the voting forms were distributed from about 65-70 minutes and the results were collected by the 75th minute.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

I wasn't there yesterday but I heard it was done with 5 minutes to go. That sounds reasonable, but it would have meant it was before Houghton's tackle on Currie.

In 2005 I remember it was done after 60 minutes which was a joke. Sinfield won it, but I doubt he'd have got a single vote had it been carried out just after the hooter.

But though Haughton's tackle was significant other tackles were significant, Haughton's happened to be at the end of the game which provides the drama. Other factors throughout the whole game meant that Haughton's tackle was able to be so important. Without the other factors Haughton's tackle may have meant nothing.

They don't vote on one moment, it is who overall had the biggest influence on the game.

Yes Dave I had realised that, but given that Clark, Sneyd and Houghton all had excellent games, I thought Clark's part in setting up the try tipped the scales in his favour, there has to be a decisive factor, that was mine, as I said it's subjective.  How often does a player on the losing side win it? Tommy Harris, Dave Topliss, Don Fox. Sinfield in 2005 apparently.  Any more?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

But though Haughton's tackle was significant other tackles were significant, Haughton's happened to be at the end of the game which provides the drama. Other factors throughout the whole game meant that Haughton's tackle was able to be so important. Without the other factors Haughton's tackle may have meant nothing.

Other factors of which he contributed many of. He played every minute. He tackled nearly twice as many times as any Warrington player. He put in some great kicks and made great runs. He was hugely influential in the entire game, not just that one moment. That one moment just epitomised his contributions.

I don't think they should ever give a MOM award until the entire match is over.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Yes Dave I had realised that, but given that Clark, Sneyd and Houghton all had excellent games, I thought Clark's part in setting up the try tipped the scales in his favour, there has to be a decisive factor, that was mine, as I said it's subjective. How often does a player on the losing side win it? Tommy Harris, Dave Topliss, Don Fox. Sinfield in 2005 apparently. Any more?

Robbie Paul?.

RichdelaRiviere ‏@RichdelaRiviere  8h

Apparently, Danny Houghton didn't receive a single vote for the Lance Todd. Extraordinary.

Sneyd 12

Shaul 8

Fonua 4

Clark 3

Pritchard 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

RichdelaRiviere ‏@RichdelaRiviere  8h

8 hours ago

Apparently, Danny Houghton didn't receive a single vote for the Lance Todd. Extraordinary.

Sneyd 12

Shaul 8

Fonua 4

Clark 3

Pritchard 1

[/q

If these figures are correct then there is a flaw in the selection of the voters. Houghton put in 50 + tackles, was involved in nearly every Hull attack and made space for the under pressure Sneyd to get kicks away and no votes. Only one Warrington player on the list. Embarrassing to say the least.

RichdelaRiviere ‏@RichdelaRiviere  8h8 hours agoApparently, Danny Houghton didn't receive a single vote for the Lance Todd. Extraordinary.Sneyd 12Shaul 8Fonua 4Clark 3Pritchard 1[/qIf these figures are correct then there is a flaw in the selection of the voters. Houghton put in 50 + tackles, was involved in nearly every Hull attack and made space for the under pressure Sneyd to get kicks away and no votes. Only one Warrington player on the list. Embarrassing to say the least..

Houghton does the things that most spectators (journalists included) don't see but which team mates and coaches do hence his lack of MOTM awards. He is missed when he isn't there

The Lance Todd vote should take place in the last 5 minutes and be announced after the final whistle

Houghton does the things that most spectators (journalists included) don't see but which team mates and coaches do hence his lack of MOTM awards. He is missed when he isn't there

The Lance Todd vote should take place in the last 5 minutes and be announced after the final whistle

I've always wondered about that, and whether Don Fox got it out of sympathy, or whether he'd already got it before his miss.

Clement Attlee.

Yes Dave I had realised that, but given that Clark, Sneyd and Houghton all had excellent games, I thought Clark's part in setting up the try tipped the scales in his favour, there has to be a decisive factor, that was mine, as I said it's subjective.  How often does a player on the losing side win it? Tommy Harris, Dave Topliss, Don Fox. Sinfield in 2005 apparently.  Any more?

Robbie Paul got it after scoring the first hat trick at Wembley and was on the losing side.

Once again the people who vote for this (not sure why) prestigeous award have got it wrong. The list of LTT winners is littered with poor decisions which devalue the award. Sinfield, Connolly, Betts, Lima was it? etc etc,

Houghton was MOM for mine, and I can live with other people's opinions on it, and of course Sneyd was influential as well as making some errors. But the fact that Houghton didn't even get a vote was shocking.

The journos always go for the bvious choices like scrum-halves/playmakers or simply try scorers. Yes, they influence the game, but why be so trite?

As a matter of interest, if the commentator hadn't noted the extent of Houghton's tackling would any of us have picked him out as a potential MoM?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

i have been arguing with my mates for the past few years about houghton . i kept pointing out every time he goes off , hull fall away , this season he seems to play the full 80 most of the time . this is the main reason hull are top of the league and challenge cup winners . to be fair to danny , he s hard to miss......on the mom award , how many journos are actually rl watchers on a weekly basis , and how many are just sent along by their paper to write a match report ? 

Archived