Faxit

longboard

TRL has reported that Halifax are considering leaving the Shay. 

Here's the link:- http://www.totalrl.com/halifax-leave-shay/

Some may recall that the club have been in dispute with Calderdale Council concerning the rent and other costs. The council intends to raise the rent for next season.

Possible locations? Rochdale? Dewsbury? Wakefield?

Calderdale council over the years have not been very receptive to the towns two semi-professional outfits.

They own a highly prestigious town centre site which they failed to utilise anywhere  near to its potential.

Drainage problems with the pitch(football fans always blame therugby played there) have not helped the situation.

As the rugby club play far less than the soccer team they feel that the rent is too high(I believe the overall amounts paid by the two are similar).

Disputes over payments have been ongoing for years and I believe there is a real prospect of Fax moving out of town.If this happens it will be the beginning of the end for our of our sports top teams.

If the game is struggling in Halifax and Bradford we have real issues as a major sport.

Best of luck to Fax - I hope the situation gets sorted out with added dollops of common sense.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Calderdale council over the years have not been very receptive to the towns two semi-professional outfits.

They own a highly prestigious town centre site which they failed to utilise anywhere  near to its potential.

Drainage problems with the pitch(football fans always blame therugby played there) have not helped the situation.

As the rugby club play far less than the soccer team they feel that the rent is too high(I believe the overall amounts paid by the two are similar).

Disputes over payments have been ongoing for years and I believe there is a real prospect of Fax moving out of town.If this happens it will be the beginning of the end for our of our sports top teams.

If the game is struggling in Halifax and Bradford we have real issues as a major sport.

A 'top team' in the sport should have a ranking way above 18/39. Average team given where they currently are.

However they have been and are a great club, lets hope the future pans out positively and the sport pulls its sox up to start realising potential.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Not overly impressed with the thread title.

You appeared to have copied it from...errr...hmmm...

As you were.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Calderdale Council have always treated the Rugby Club poorly even up at Thrum Hall. The Council have a very poor reputation and are very happy to sell things (School Fields, Schools etc) and lose valuable things like Museums (Industrial Museum going to Bradford for example, without even bothering to do anything to keep such venues in Calderdale. The Council has debts like most, but it is happy to pay its top people ridiculous amounts of money. http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/politics/calderdale-council-s-biggest-earners-revealed-1-5663909

It wastes money on new traffic layouts, empty offices etchttp://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/politics/fury-over-327k-for-renting-empty-office-1-7815641 and has a poor reputation with its Social Work System as it looks to cut costs and the cost of people who are vulnerable.

The Council own the Shay Stadium but has put very little work or money in to it with the South Stand being built from money from the Football Trust and the Football Club. The gmy underneath it was done by the Rugby club and is all the property of the Rugby Club. The East Stand was mainly built again using grant money and money from both Sports teams. The Council topping up the rest. But it refuses to finish the job off as the shell building between the East and South stands now like it has for years-a Shell that should be offices and rented out-but the Council doesnt want to do it. The North Stand again does not have enough toilets and the Council refuses to do anything and just lets the steps fall in to a shocking state. The Skircoat stand is now shut as the Council doesnt want to do anything and again is falling in to a shocking state- holes in the roof, seats rusted etc. The Shay has a Sponsor in MBI but as yet no money from this has really been seen on it. The Council rips up the field due to poor drainage and has over the years wasted money on short cuts to stop it being waterlogged. The Stadium is an alleged "Community Asset", but due to the Councils lack of responsibility most of the community do not use it. It has much potential and offices etc could be built and rented out- The Halifax/Lloyds Bank had shown interest as others over the years. The ground if properly finish could host Music Concerts like Huddersfield, but again the Council dont want to know. If Halifax RLFC leave the Shay, then it throws the Football club in to a right mess as they would be the only users really of the stadium and would face a big rise in renting it and could either see them decide to play also outside the area- they have played at Rochdale a couple of times or fold.

Rumours are Fax have looked at ground sharing with Keighley for next year. Not sure how serious that is, but will hurt the club and the game in Halifax area. Rumours abound of lack of cash and looking to save money- they only used the East Stand against Sheffield on Sunday. Fax have made some very poor decisions over the years since being in SL. It has only itself to blame for much of them to be honest. Many fans are fed up over the way the club is being run and the rumours but no news coming from the club. The Club is at a crossroads which could damage the club big time. With no news coming from the club for months about alleged rumours over the Stadium, Debts etc it doesnt ease people suspicions that all is not well. The Council are playing a game of russian roulette with Fax that will see both suffereing badly alongside the Football Club. The area has enough problems and if this is not sorted out in a proper fashion it could damage the area in so many ways. Its a real mess that will see the area end up a real backwater than it already is. No proper Shopping Centre, No Pro Sports Teams, Nothing for the people of the town to be proud of. 

The ground and site is owned by a Council, that now refuses to help either club and refuses to finish or build anything to get extra money in. It thinks by making the rent higher it solves things. Maybe if it actually had a stadium that was properly finished and was more able to be used by the wider population of Calderdale it wouldnt need to raise the rent to such a stupid price.I can see Fax moving out of the area sadly and the Council left with an empty stadium it will sell off and build more shops on that will stand empty like much of the Halifax Shopping area.

Interesting and astute summary LRL - nothing to argue with there...

I remember frequently visiting Piece Hall in the mid 90's which was vibrant and busy.

Then suddenly all the units started to close and the place became a ghost...

And the reason?

Calderdale Council increased the rents, making it none viable for the tennants..

Annoyingly, they get a grant, refurb it and start all over again.

No lessons learnt.

How do councls become so useless?

No offence ...but how about actually doing something instead of moaning about it here

Get 1 k fax fans and March to the council

Simple

The attention the council receive will be easily enough pressure to help yous in your bargaining

Because we have no news from the Club or the Council just rumours until today. The club has been playing hard ball and there was/is a problem between them which is no secret. But I guess the club is looking to talk things through first before any other action such as marches etc are organized. The Halifax Club have made a Statement though and things look a bit more positive:

Halifax RLFC can confirm that on the 28th of September 2016 representatives from the Club and Calderdale MBC met to discuss the Rugby Club’s future at The MBi Shay Stadium.

Halifax Chairman Michael Steele confirmed in his programme notes against Sheffield Eagles, that there had been extensive conversations between the Club and Calderdale MBC  in recent months and both parties were looking for a suitable resolution. 

Following the meeting on the 28th of September Fax Chairman, Michael Steele, said: “This was the most constructive meeting between the Club and Council for a number of years. The Council Chief Executive Merran McRae was determined to ensure that the relationship between both parties was improved and their approach was constructive.

“I believe there is a clear intent to keep the Club in Halifax, although the headline User Fee requirement will not change, the Council has a much clearer understanding of the need to provide the Club with value for its payments.

“There will be further discussions in the next few days to resolve final details, but I am confident that every opportunity will be taken to reduce match day costs and to provide the Club with opportunity to stage match day events, such as its ‘Give Us a Try’ Programme and to host the Club’s Reserve Fixtures in 2017.

“Hopefully, we have established a basis for constructive discussion on the use of the Stadium, which can also include and benefit FC Halifax Town.”

The Club will not make any comment on this subject until further developments are made.

Thanks for the update Lizard. 

It appears that the security/stewarding arrangements and associated costs have been causing difficulties for Fax.

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/sport/rugby/halifax-rlfc/shay-latest-fax-on-course-to-stay-after-talks-with-council-bosses-1-8153305

The comments about reserve games are interesting given the difficulties with the pitch...

Archived