London Broncos sign Richard Mathers
Mathers will join the Broncos for pre-season training in November ahead of the 2015 season in the Kingstone Press Championship. The full-back has a wealth of experience at the top level having played for Leeds Rhinos, Gold Coast Titans, Wigan Warriors, Warrington Wolves, Castleford Tigers and Wakefield Trinity Wildcats.
“He will be one of the highest profile players in the Championship next season.” said head coach Joey Grima. “His experience will be great for the Broncos as Richie is close to playing 300 games in the Super League and has experience of the NRL.”
“This signing is an indication of how serious we are about where we want to be in 2015 and beyond and we look forward to welcoming Richie, Sasha and family to our club.
Mathers says the move to London is one that excites him and he’s relishing the challenge. “It’s a massive move for myself and my family.” He said. “It’s an exciting one and we’re just at the planning stage of moving and bringing the family down and starting a new adventure.”
“I’ve always enjoyed the trips down when I’ve played at The Stoop and different places and I’ve always enjoyed being down in London. I never really thought I’d get the opportunity to play down here and it’s one that presented itself quite quickly.
“I met with Joey up in Leeds last week and I’ve spoken to him numerous times on the phone and really liked the ideas. He sold the place, not just on the club and the footy, but as a place to live and the whole package.”
“I’ve came down to have a look around with my wife and it’s been an eye opener and an experience we’re looking forward to. Having seen the set up at Underhill for training it’s a great facility, it’s all on one site and I’m really looking forward to starting pre-season training.”
What do you think about this story? Discuss this and much more on or free fans’ forum. For more Rugby League news and features, subscribe to League Express newspaper and Rugby League World magazine. You can also connect with us on the social media platform of your choice
- 27th Aug : The Ladbrokes RL Challenge Cup Final : Hull FC v Warrington Wolves KO 3pm
- Rfl top men
- Why the hell isn't Wembley packed to the rafters?
- Tony Smith
- Working Holiday Visa to Canada
- Hodgson in for Provan-Summons medal.
- Steve Gartland - 6th minute applause at Challenge Cup final (Merged Threads)
- Canada U 17s Tour Jamaica
- Canada Wolverines v English Lionhearts
- Canada Young Wolverines v England Young Lions; Aug 27th Lamport Stadium, Toronto
Rugby League World
- Time to ditch dual-registration, says Walmsley
- Rugby League World 422: What’s inside?
- GOSSIP: Gallen closing in on Super League