George Williams has insisted he was misunderstood over the interview which emerged last week revealing his desire to play in the NRL – saying he will ‘100 per cent’ be a Wigan player under Adrian Lam in 2019.
Just hours after Lam and Shaun Edwards had been revealed as the Warriors’ long-term coaches, an interview emerged in Australia with Williams where the England international stated he wanted to fulfil his dream to play in the NRL. Wigan coach Shaun Wane then revealed after Friday’s game with Castleford that the interview had been conducted several weeks ago.
24 hours earlier, Wigan chairman Ian Lenagan to admit they have received expressions of interest in Williams – several weeks previously. League Express exclusively revealed that Newcastle were keen on signing the stand-off.
But while Williams has reiterated his intention to go to the NRL at some point, he insists he does not want to leave Wigan yet.
“I think I got misunderstood a little about when I want to go down there and play,” he said.
“It’s something I’ve always wanted to do and that’s what I was expressing – it wasn’t that I want to go now. I don’t want to leave Wigan now, soas I say I was misunderstood. I stick to my word that it is my dream, but that’s for later in my career.
“I spoke to them (the interviewees) a while ago and I said it could be two years down the line, and that was missing from it a little bit. I think it all got misunderstood and when I saw it, I wouldn’t say it was a stitch-up but it’s a bit different to what I was trying to express. Especially with the big news of Lam and Edwards, then that came out the next day, that wasn’t the best for me or the club.”
When asked if he will be at Wigan next year, Williams replied: “Yeah. I’ll be here next year. 100 per cent.”