The Photography Thread

Went to the Southport Air show on Sunday, got some photos on the Vulcan and Eurofighter thing.

The reaction times of the Canon is so much greater than our previous camera.

Will try to upload some pics soon.

Really need to get a grip of the settings.

Which Canon have you got RW??

Whitehaven RLFC - Still in NL1, I blame Leroy Joe

Candlestick Chimney

Lord Oftheflies, Order of the Knights on the Town, (for services smoke removal devices in the architectural landscape of the North Country)

All Hail King Gerremonside I

Wow...what an awesome thread. I don't know how I have only just discovered it. After doing my knee a few years ago I couldn't do my most favourite pastime ever...skateboarding. I have been rolling for 20 years and had to take a back seat...so I started taking photos.

Have now had a knee recon, but keep taking skating photos. Here are some of my pics...they've been majorly compressed though so they can fit on the site I got them from...

Willow.jpg

Harmsy%20at%20Church%20Altered%2011.jpg

Copy%20of%20Image%200261.jpg

Image%20121.jpg

Wow...what an awesome thread. I don't know how I have only just discovered it. After doing my knee a few years ago I couldn't do my most favourite pastime ever...skateboarding. I have been rolling for 20 years and had to take a back seat...so I started taking photos.

Have now had a knee recon, but keep taking skating photos. Here are some of my pics...they've been majorly compressed though so they can fit on the site I got them from...

Willow.jpg

Harmsy%20at%20Church%20Altered%2011.jpg

Copy%20of%20Image%200261.jpg

Image%20121.jpg

belting pics

didn't you popst some them on here a while back?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Yeah...some of them.

Really want to buy a nice DSLR but just can't afford it with a wee one at home. Maybe next year.

Those pics were all taken with a point and shoot 4MP Canon Powershot....

:blush:

I used to feel somewhat inadequate next to the semi-pro skate photographers who had Nikon Mk1's and Hasselblads etc....

Yeah...some of them.

Really want to buy a nice DSLR but just can't afford it with a wee one at home. Maybe next year.

Those pics were all taken with a point and shoot 4MP Canon Powershot....

:blush:

I used to feel somewhat inadequate next to the semi-pro skate photographers who had Nikon Mk1's and Hasselblads etc....

until I bought a DSLR a few weeks back I'd been using a canon G7

high spec robust and pocketable. I still carry it around with me. It's been replaced by the G9 and is great value for money.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Nice colours & dof GJ, not sure about the crop though (cuts through the wood on the blue bottle)

One that GJ has already seen before, and has been PP'd by a forum member on another forum on my behalf! :)

6ec2ba53.jpg

Whitehaven RLFC - Still in NL1, I blame Leroy Joe

Candlestick Chimney

Lord Oftheflies, Order of the Knights on the Town, (for services smoke removal devices in the architectural landscape of the North Country)

All Hail King Gerremonside I

Just been to Crete on holiday, while we were there we took a 10mile walk down the Samaria Gorge. Here is one of the shots I took during the 6hr hike.

EnteringTheChasmIMG_0814.jpg

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just been to Crete on holiday, while we were there we took a 10mile walk down the Samaria Gorge. Here is one of the shots I took during the 6hr hike.

EnteringTheChasmIMG_0814.jpg

Crikey Samaria gorge, that brings back some memories. Northern 90/91 premiership final i think and i was hiking down there in a heatwave with no water or food and promptly threw up in the harbour afterwards with 200 tourists watching :unsure:

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Had a go at photographing "the dark side" on saturday. It's a lot more difficult than League, as (certainly at Midlands 3 East (North) level) not very much actually happens that doesn't look like a game of pile-on.

I managed to get a few decent shots though.

IMG_0902-vi.jpg

IMG_0917-vi.jpg

IMG_0946-vi.jpg

IMG_0996-vi.jpg

IMG_1016-vi.jpg

IMG_1096-vi.jpg

Rest of the set here

I'm still not sure about the new camera though. On the plus side, the Autofocus seems to work a lot better than the 350D, ISO1600 is actually usable, and having an extra 4 mega-pixels to play with is really useful, but there are a few issues that are almost tempting me to take it back and ask for a refund. The metering is just terrible. Without any exposure comp, everything comes out at least half a stop overexposed. On the default "picture style" colours look really flat and dull, but changing any of the settings turns the pictures into a horrible contrasty, over saturated mess. The White Ballance setting seems a bit off as well, Auto made everything look a bit cold, and the "cloudy" setting added a little bit too much yellow. Apart from that it's great though...

RLC Premier Champions 2008

Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

RLC Club Of The Year 2001

Here's a few from St.Judes recent 96 - 8 thrashing of Rochdale Mayfield.

St.Judes v Rochdale Mayfield 1

StJudesVMayfield_IMG_0733.jpg

St.Judes v Rochdale Mayfield 2

StJudesVMayfield_IMG_0742.jpg

St.Judes v Rochdale Mayfield 3

StJudesVMayfield_IMG_0746.jpg

St.Judes v Rochdale Mayfield 4

StJudesVMayfield_IMG_0759.jpg

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Given the final score, congratulations on your reactions to capture picture number 3 :D

:lol:

The Rochdale coach at one point gathered his troops behind the sticks and bellowed at them "lets see if we can at least stop them scoring in the next set of six".

Union is just as ###### to shoot as it is to watch. Lineouts shots are pretty much the best it can offer. The reason it's so ###### is because a] the ball is hardly in play, b] when it is it's stuck under a ruck, c] when it's in play but not stuck under a ruck it's either picked up by a fat, slow forward and he dives two yards forward or they kick it, and d] it's stop start and you can never get in the right position because of the ping pong nature of the kicking back and forth. But no doubt they're the subtle nuances that we simple folk don't understand.

It's a lot more difficult than League,

Isn't it just? A lot harder to get a straight sight on the ball carrier as well given that the defence doesn't retreat in the same way.

My only attempt (although I hope to go back this weekend) is here.

I am now pondering whether to pawn my granny for an f/2.8 lens. Mr E C Tiger, you were right on that one.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Isn't it just? A lot harder to get a straight sight on the ball carrier as well given that the defence doesn't retreat in the same way.

My only attempt (although I hope to go back this weekend) is here.

I am now pondering whether to pawn my granny for an f/2.8 lens. Mr E C Tiger, you were right on that one.

It's amazing how quickly you learn. I wish I had bought a better camera now myself, but 18 months ago I didn't know the first thing. You could probably get a Canon 70-200mm 2.8 for less than $1000 second hand (so less than 500 pounds) and the IS version for a bit more. I bought a 16-35mm 2.8 this week for $800 off a bloke I know who is going overseas and is getting rid of his gear. New it would have been $1800. Prices have come down over here recently because of the US dollar's decline. I don't know what that means over there.

Oh East Coast Tiger & Gingerjon - union !!! - how could you???

The nearest I ever got to photographing the dark side was when they appear in the background of proper rugby photos, like this one:-

IMG_0247a.jpg

As you can see, their phsiques do lend themselves to 'subtleties and nuances'.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Oh East Coast Tiger & Gingerjon - union !!! - how could you???

The nearest I ever got to photographing the dark side was when they appear in the background of proper rugby photos, like this one:-

IMG_0247a.jpg

As you can see, their phsiques do lend themselves to 'subtleties and nuances'.

:O:lol: Anything more than subtle and it might be heart attack time. That is actually unbelievable. What about the guy nearest the touchie to the right? Is that a man or a low flying zeppelin? Jesus! Can I pinch that photo? I'd love to keep that on file somewhere for future reference.

And In my defence - I went to Inverell to see Inverell v Warialda but when I get there at about 2pm I discovered the game didn't start till about 6pm (which ended up being closer to 7pm) so I went to the yawnyawn, just to compare. I got the answer I was after, ie it was shi:te.