The Photography Thread

OK it's my birthday soon and I know I am going to be nagged about presents. I was thinking about some filters for my canon.

Has anyone got any advice on which are the most important or most practical for a novice?

OK it's my birthday soon and I know I am going to be nagged about presents. I was thinking about some filters for my canon.

Has anyone got any advice on which are the most important or most practical for a novice?

Depends on what sort of photography you want to do. Circular polarizer, neutral density and graduated filters are very useful for landscape. A lot of filters have been made redundant with modern editing software. A general UV or Skylight filter can help to protect your lens and helps to cut through mist and improve skies.

Remember everything you put in front of your lens will do two things 1) reduce the exposure (ND filters deliberately) 2) reduce the quality of the image.

Edited by Padge

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Here are a few of my recent efforts.

View from our hotel in Edinburgh for the Magic Weekend.

EdinburghCastle_IMG_9141.jpg

EdingburghView_IMG_9110.jpg

shadows_IMG_9106.jpg

The Directors Cut Cat

TheDirectorsCat_IMG_3927.jpg

Truro Cathedral

Cathedral_IMG_2638.jpg

Stuff in jars

cloud_IMG_4038.jpg

cloud_IMG_4001.jpg

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Try not to position the main point of interest in the centre of the frame Jim. There is a general rule (there to be broken of course) that points of interest should land on an intersection of an horizontal and vertical third.

In the second shot if you had been able to move to the right a little you may have had been able to lose the large green canvas and tree branch on the left.

On the third one you could crop out some of the empty space at the bottom.

All the shots you posted could stand a bit of sharpening.

Cheers Dave for that.

Will take it on board.

A few shots from my Edinburgh trip...

3513609423_ecf394cf84_b.jpg

3514425938_5bb07ab1ed_b.jpg

3513606447_2fdea45d58_b.jpg

3514440448_14299ce6db_b.jpg

Vince Lombardi

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."

"Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is."

Copa @ May 8 2005

Rugby League: Complex game, simple rules.

Rugby Union: Complex Rules, simple game.

Lets get Folding...

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py...e&teamnum=43780

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/tea....php?s=&t=43780

I call this one - 'Bottom on fire? - then play rugby'

3518389930_b2e1920f9f.jpg

This one looks better in b/w

3517589427_26340cb036.jpg

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Can't quite put my finger on why, but that is a cracking photo.

<pretension>

It's the balance between foreground and background - the movement follows a line from back to front - the rugby balls and the two people are on the same diagonal, and you have the contrast between older/younger and male/female (and active/audience).

Plus it's a spot on b/w converstion.

</pretension>

Anyway, enough with this metrosexualism - here's some rugby from today.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

<pretension>

It's the balance between foreground and background - the movement follows a line from back to front - the rugby balls and the two people are on the same diagonal, and you have the contrast between older/younger and male/female (and active/audience).

Plus it's a spot on b/w converstion.

</pretension>

Anyway, enough with this metrosexualism - here's some rugby from today.

Figured you'd like it ;)

Seriously it's a good picture, interesting to the eye. I like the way the girl in the background looks like she's at acting half ready to pass the ball!

Edited by Kickin Back

Vince Lombardi

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."

"Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is."

Copa @ May 8 2005

Rugby League: Complex game, simple rules.

Rugby Union: Complex Rules, simple game.

Lets get Folding...

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py...e&teamnum=43780

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/tea....php?s=&t=43780

A couple form my trip to Edinburgh

DSC09180a.jpg

DSC09201.jpg

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Got one in the Oldham Chronicle tonight. Was taking pictures for the under 12s & 13s Service Area games at weekend (Oldham v Wigan & Leigh). Noticed their usual chap wasn't around so we sent a few off with the match reports. Printed this one. Barrie McDermott's son Billy taking centre stage.

3515025173_63474412f6_o.jpg

Plus a couple of others from the under 12s game

3515032847_f3c66e2cd0.jpg

3515840374_f609c84a40.jpg

3515830976_cd08fd1be1.jpg

Edited by clowesey

Had a go at cricket on Saturday.

This is Chesham's pro putting the Thatcham attack to the sword. He made 125 of Chesham's 243.

3538444884_63da5131f5.jpg

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Maybe Padge or l'angelo mysterioso can shed some light on who this is supposed to be?

40sweekend006.jpg

George Formby ?

40sweekend008.jpg

Albert Steptoe ?

40sweekend022.jpg

Victor Meldrew?

Great photos as well.

Edited by Exiled Townie

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

A few photos from a recent weekend spent at Kilnsea and Spurn Head. Coastal erosion at its worst, WII defences claimed by nature.

Oh and at the end my mate Alfie.

SSA53327.jpg

At first glance Alfie reminded me of a forum member...I'll not say who to save embarrassment, because I don't mean to cause any...and I won't say the pigs cuter...or that I've met this person in the Anvil and Moon Under Water :P

Great pics again all...thanks for sharing

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Tourist photographer case dismissed at Magistrates Court

There are some concerning points in there about photography on the London Underground.

Thankfully as a non Greek I avoided a night in the cells ...

3549778370_62b3a5d59e.jpg

Has anyone got an opinion on the new Canon 500D? Before that came along, I was looking at getting a 450D, which is now a lot cheaper. I'm still using film!

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.