The Photography Thread

Has anyone got an opinion on the new Canon 500D? Before that came along, I was looking at getting a 450D, which is now a lot cheaper. I'm still using film!

My wife has a 400D, I have a 30D, the 450's predecesor it is a great camera. Just compare the specifications and see if the extra is worth the cost.

Major differences I see are 12M pixel against 15M pixel, if you don't intend printing above A3 you probably won't notice much difference.

ISO range up to 3200 (expandable to 12800) as against 1600, you would need to think if you would use that range and how much noise does it produce.

On the subject of noise the 500 is supposedly less noisy in shadow areas than the 450.

Shoots HD video and has a live view screen.

If you are not bothered about video (if you are it has no socket for an external mic)

The 450 is a lot cheaper I would be tempted in that direction and spend the difference on a decent lense.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

If I were starting out with a DSLR now I'd be looking at Sony - unless you already have Canon lenses.

Anyway, shot with a Nikon ...

3551552391_4fa1d39f96.jpg

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

My wife has a 400D, I have a 30D, the 450's predecesor it is a great camera. Just compare the specifications and see if the extra is worth the cost.

Major differences I see are 12M pixel against 15M pixel, if you don't intend printing above A3 you probably won't notice much difference.

ISO range up to 3200 (expandable to 12800) as against 1600, you would need to think if you would use that range and how much noise does it produce.

On the subject of noise the 500 is supposedly less noisy in shadow areas than the 450.

Shoots HD video and has a live view screen.

If you are not bothered about video (if you are it has no socket for an external mic)

The 450 is a lot cheaper I would be tempted in that direction and spend the difference on a decent lense.

I really wouldn't bother with the 500D, unless you need the video function. I'd opt for a 450D (which I've got, and is great camera) or a 40D, refurbished or new (less Mp than the 450D, but better built, and faster shutter speeds)

Whitehaven RLFC - Still in NL1, I blame Leroy Joe

Candlestick Chimney

Lord Oftheflies, Order of the Knights on the Town, (for services smoke removal devices in the architectural landscape of the North Country)

All Hail King Gerremonside I

At first glance Alfie reminded me of a forum member...I'll not say who to save embarrassment, because I don't mean to cause any...and I won't say the pigs cuter...or that I've met this person in the Anvil and Moon Under Water :P

Gosh! I see what you mean!! :lol::D:):O

Lee?

Try again Statler

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Thanks to those lovely fellows at HMRC giving me a rebate this beauty is now on order

04f41f9354944b4a92d8c34df020f3bd.jpg

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG MACRO HSM II

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

:angry2: how much you lucky sod?

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Without trawling through all the pages on this thread, I'm looking for the easiest way to crop and re-size photos.

Download Gimp, its a free photo editing software tool.

http://www.gimp.org/

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Some from Bolton Abbey on Monday.

boltonabbey042.jpg

Those stepping stones look great fun - are they 'old' or put there to add to the day out.

Without trawling through all the pages on this thread, I'm looking for the easiest way to crop and re-size photos.
I would think it all depends on which photo editing software you have got.

A few from Keighley tarn today.

015.jpg

That is one angry looking duck .....

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

James May sure has aged!

Has your lens arrived yet?

It has - and that shot was taken with it - as was this one ...

3577346631_8662a4e791.jpg