The Photography Thread

isn't that the place that was used in a James Bond film some years back a la Roger Moore?

Could be, I posted them on a photography site and someone else mentioned the same.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

A bit more of Santorini

SantoriniChurch_IMG_4903.jpg

I seriously doubt anyone could take a bad picture on Santorini, I will find the disc of mine and post some, 2004 I was on Crete and took a day trip by boat on my Birthday -16/06- and it was wonderful, just walking around taking easy shots, when I got back to work I was showing the pictures to my friends and one of them says "See that swimming pool overlooking the caldera? Thats where we stayed." - #####!

I seriously doubt anyone could take a bad picture on Santorini, I will find the disc of mine and post some, 2004 I was on Crete and took a day trip by boat on my Birthday -16/06- and it was wonderful, just walking around taking easy shots, when I got back to work I was showing the pictures to my friends and one of them says "See that swimming pool overlooking the caldera? Thats where we stayed." - #####!

Not as easy as you may think, keeping details in whites when it predominates the photograph and keeping it white and not allowing the metering to turn it to 17% grey isn't easy. Handling the high contrasts caused by very deep shadows and bright buildings when in very bright sunlight isn't something that cameras, particularly digital, handle well, producing either lack of shadow detail or noise.

Yes you can walk around and take 'nice' pictures, but controlling the detail is the problem in Santorini.

What kit did you use for your Santorini snaps?

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Had my first picture published in the Coventry Evening Telegrpah 2 weeks ago!

Buggers never credited me though :(

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Handling the high contrasts caused by very deep shadows and bright buildings when in very bright sunlight isn't something that cameras, particularly digital, handle well, producing either lack of shadow detail or noise.

You've pretty much summed up why I am a terrible photographer in colour.

What was it of?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

What was it of?

Coventry Bears celebrating the Midlands DIvision title after their victory over Derby

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Congratulations.

When you send them a photo add a proviso that if used it must be credited or they can't use it. Also remind them that the copyright is yours and they can only use it for the publication you want them to use it in.

In other words don't trust the buggers.

Spotted in today's Metro - some of the landscape for the new Pixar animation 'Up' is based on a place in Venezuala.

Do an image search on "Mount Roraima" for some really mindblowing pictures.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Back in 2006 I was at the Skolars v Lions game and e-mailed the pictures I took to the press officer at Swinton, he e-mailed me back asking for permission to publish them in the next programme, I agreed as long as I got a credit. The Swinton v Keighley Centre spread is of my pictures. Good use of them too considering I only have a Kodak Z885 (8Mb) pocket job.

Edited by Bleep1673

**Picture removed at my other halfs request, "You never know who is viewing these pictures", I told her not to be silly, but have relented due to the fact I might want sex sometime in the next 10 years**

And finally, my wonderful Daughter Leilani Freya at my ex-wifes wedding last weekend, she didn't need a car, she turned up on her broomstick

Edited by Bleep1673

Picture_0784-1.jpg

Picture_0787.jpg

Picture_0793.jpg

In photo 1 the camera has handled the whites quite well keeping the whitest whites white without over doing it, no deep shadows to contend with which keeps the dynamic range down and prevents noisy featureless shadows or blown whites. I would give a selective saturation boost to the cyan channel around the blue fence. Composition wise you have the small yacht right in the centre with the eye drawn through the gap in the buildings. It would be better to move the point of interest to the side (in this case I would have moved it to the left) sitting on one of the thirds by moving to the right. Moving the point of interest to the left would allow a bit extra of the more interesting fence/rail around the balcony on the right to be in shot and you could loose a large chunk if the featureless white wall that dominates.

2. is slightly washed out and flat with muted colour tones rather than the bright pastel colours associated with Santorini. A quick fix would be to reduce the brightness and then boost the contrast and then individually adjust the saturation of the colour channels. This would also help to bring out detail in the rock faces in the background. Also crop out a large proportion of the white wall at the bottom which adds nothing and only distracts from the picture.

3. First off this one needs rotating slightly clockwise. The cameras automatic metering has been fooled slightly by the brighness and has under exposed the shot slightly, hence the slightl grey look to the whites, nothing that a bit of tweaking can't improve. Adjust the contrast, increasing it slightly and then lift the brightness to restore the whites to white. Again the colours are a bit flat but nothing that selective saturation can't cure. The subject suffers from the problem that very often arises in Greece, clutter, very often shots in Greece need a lot of cloning out of cables, ariels, signs and general ######.

There are a couple of tricks that can be used to save some post processing work with a good digital camera, don't always rely on Auto White Balance set it for the conditions or if you want to warm things up set it for cloudy on a sunny day, if you camera has portrait landscape settings set it to landscape (don't let the camera decide) it wull help to boost the saturation on the blues, if you can then use a polarizing filter helps to remove reflections and glare but also helps to boost saturation. If you camera has an option to shoot at a higher contrast then if your in somehwere like Santorini it can help. Of course all of these are easily done in photoshop (except the poloarizing filter) but if you can get it closer to being right in camera then it makes life easier.

Example, hope you don't mind me editing your photograph. Not perfect but I did only spend 5 minutes on it.

edit_Picture_0787.jpg

Edited by Padge

Thanks for the advice - seriously - the cameras I used were only pocket compact ones, but they do have the features you mentioned, the one I use now is a Kodak Z885 8mp, I am lazy when taking photos and use all the auto features I can.

Thanks for the advice - seriously - the cameras I used were only pocket compact ones, but they do have the features you mentioned, the one I use now is a Kodak Z885 8mp, I am lazy when taking photos and use all the auto features I can.

Letting the camera make all the decions is what results in 'flat' photographs quite often. It always works on an average and thus the results tend to be average, however even on auto the camera isn't in control of composition, that is always in your hands and a whole lot of a good photograph starts with getting the composition right.

Some Greek boats.

Boat_IMG_9088.jpg

Boats_IMG_9314.jpg

Boat_IMG_9073.jpg

Boat_IMG_9080.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...