The Photography Thread

how's it done?

I maybe wrong but it looks like HDR to me, which can be done be either taking 3 different exposures of the same scene, or processing the same shot multiple times to give you the different exposures that are then blended together using something like Photomatrix or Photoshop.

Some more examples of varying quality from Flickrs HDR group.

how's it done?

I maybe wrong but it looks like HDR to me, which can be done be either taking 3 different exposures of the same scene, or processing the same shot multiple times to give you the different exposures that are then blended together using something like Photomatrix or Photoshop.

It is a programme in called Topaz. It is a plug in to your photo manipulation system. It is based on HDR but you only use one photo, it works out the exposure, blending and processing. All you do is play with the controls until you get the photo you like. It costs about

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Sorry! Life would be dull though if we all stuck to old school film in black and white!

Hmph!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Hmph!

One of the more "special" attendees on my photography course is convinced all Ansel Adams ever did was play with HDR in Photoshop, you two would have hours of fun.............................!!!

One of the more "special" attendees on my photography course is convinced all Ansel Adams ever did was play with HDR in Photoshop, you two would have hours of fun.............................!!!

We might both agree that Ansel Adams elevated the importance of the technical over the beautiful to the detriment of pretty much every enthusiast photographer since.

He would use HDR today in my opinion.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'll be mightily disappointed if either of you mention the word "geek" again on an IT thread :D

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I'll be mightily disappointed if either of you mention the word "geek" again on an IT thread :D

Au contraire.

Knowing about HDR and Ansel Adams and the zone system and the development of American landscape photography up to and including the New Topographics (1974-5) is not geeky in any way, shape or form.

Au contraire.

Knowing about HDR and Ansel Adams and the zone system and the development of American landscape photography up to and including the New Topographics (1974-5) is not geeky in any way, shape or form.

:D

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

We might both agree that Ansel Adams elevated the importance of the technical over the beautiful to the detriment of pretty much every enthusiast photographer since.

He would use HDR today in my opinion.

Well no, you'd never be able to get beyond her absolute insistence that you could only do what he did in photoshop, it wasn't possible in a darkroom, it would eat away at you and drive you nuts over the weeks you had to share a classroom. You'd hate yourself for not being able to resist bringing it up to see if she's got her head around the fact he was born in 1904 and there are more than a few examples of his work that pre-date Photoshop.

But - Yes, yes he would and he'd be mad not to!!!

I've never tried to hide my geekyness, I met most of my "friends" in Azeroth.......................!!!

Well no, you'd never be able to get beyond her absolute insistence that you could only do what he did in photoshop, it wasn't possible in a darkroom, it would eat away at you and drive you nuts over the weeks you had to share a classroom. You'd hate yourself for not being able to resist bringing it up to see if she's got her head around the fact he was born in 1904 and there are more than a few examples of his work that pre-date Photoshop.

But - Yes, yes he would and he'd be mad not to!!!

Is she fit? I could handle lengthy discussions if she is. And even if she isn't I'm always tediously happy to expound about photography - especially when drunk.

What does she think people did before digital cameras/computers? My favourite though is people who assume that before Photoshop there was no manipulation. And my second favourite is even now people who don't get that cameras never, ever tell the truth but a very specific framing of it.

But on a happier note my first photobook - Two Boys (Photos of Little & Tiny Ginger) - is now back from blurb and it looks lovely.

Is she fit? I could handle lengthy discussions if she is. And even if she isn't I'm always tediously happy to expound about photography - especially when drunk.

What does she think people did before digital cameras/computers? My favourite though is people who assume that before Photoshop there was no manipulation. And my second favourite is even now people who don't get that cameras never, ever tell the truth but a very specific framing of it.

But on a happier note my first photobook - Two Boys (Photos of Little & Tiny Ginger) - is now back from blurb and it looks lovely.

Depends on your "type" if 50+, round, dumpy and loud is your thing, she's it................!!!

I don't think she has accepted yet that there was life before digital.

Glad your happy with the photobooks, I got both my little girls grannys one from Bobs Books for Christmas and was delighted with the quality. Once I can fill one with enough material to stand up to stronger scrutiny than your average dotting granny I'll be getting another one ordered!

It is a programme in called Topaz. It is a plug in to your photo manipulation system. It is based on HDR but you only use one photo, it works out the exposure, blending and processing. All you do is play with the controls until you get the photo you like. It costs about

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Sorry! Life would be dull though if we all stuck to old school film in black and white!

I do miss it sometimes

I've still got my enlargers in the attic, but they'll never get used again.

Keeping it local

I deleted your address by mistake. I hadn't forgotten about the yashica

pm it and I'll get it off at the weekend

Keeping it local

Once I can fill one with enough material to stand up to stronger scrutiny than your average dotting granny I'll be getting another one ordered!

My thoughts have been moving in much the same way!

I deleted your address by mistake. I hadn't forgotten about the yashica

pm it and I'll get it off at the weekend

Excellent. PM on its way. I have the film - including some now-deleted Neopan 400 in 120 format*

* included just to keep ckn happy.

I do miss it sometimes

I've still got my enlargers in the attic, but they'll never get used again.

Agreed, I have nothing but admiration for those shooting in film, I've only ever really shot digital and am the first to admit it takes a little of the skill away, I'd hate to think what my shot to keeper ratio is.

I do have a friend who occasionally insists on taking a memory card out with him for the day that will only allow 30 to 40 shots on and doesn't delete on the move to try and recreate the effort he used to put into to composing a film shot.

Already read it after your facebook link! :P

I forget that you're the ugly spud who's always moaning about his job. :P

Anyway, for a change, here's a nice photo of Chesham:

4467069013_8b1a81fcb7.jpg

Taken with a Samsung Tocco Lite 3,2MP cameraphone converted to monochrome using the Gradient Map tool in Photoshop Elements 5.0 following basic adjustments to levels, brightness and contrast.*

* again, all just for ckn

I forget that you're the ugly spud who's always moaning about his job. :P

Anyway, for a change, here's a nice photo of Chesham:

I may have, on occasion, passed the odd comment on my working day! :P

Nice shot by the way, I've still to master the art of a decent B&W conversion.

Someone at work brought in an Amateur Photographer magazine from around 1965 to let me have a look at.

The letters page was interesting, arguments about people using different chemicals which made life easier or gave 'arty' results, "not proper photography", "cheating", "won't catch on", all the comments could have been from AP in the last ten years.

Did the advent of the SLR reduce the skill of the photographer because he didn't have to work out exactly where the photographing lense was looking, did making the view of the image appear in the right orientation as opposed to upside down, left to right reduce the skill of the photographer.

People forget that the art of photography is about first of all seeing the picture without a camera and then having seen it manipulating the light, either by adding, subtracting, waiting (sometimes a long time), accepting or even filtering in the correct way to produce what you have seen in your 'vision'. Some of the light manipulation, such as filtering has now moved to post processing, however photographers still cheated the light by using pre-processing manipulation.

Knocking out a great photograph wasn't/isn't easy on film and anyone who thinks it is easier with digital needs to really understand what is going on.

Many great photographers in the past didn't even develop their own photographs they ahd a developer to do it for them giving them instructions of what they wanted. Why, because the photographer had the vision but not the developng skills and the developer had the manipulation skills but not the vision.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Someone at work brought in an Amateur Photographer magazine from around 1965 to let me have a look at.

The letters page was interesting, arguments about people using different chemicals which made life easier or gave 'arty' results, "not proper photography", "cheating", "won't catch on", all the comments could have been from AP in the last ten years.

Did the advent of the SLR reduce the skill of the photographer because he didn't have to work out exactly where the photographing lense was looking, did making the view of the image appear in the right orientation as opposed to upside down, left to right reduce the skill of the photographer.

People forget that the art of photography is about first of all seeing the picture without a camera and then having seen it manipulating the light, either by adding, subtracting, waiting (sometimes a long time), accepting or even filtering in the correct way to produce what you have seen in your 'vision'. Some of the light manipulation, such as filtering has now moved to post processing, however photographers still cheated the light by using pre-processing manipulation.

Knocking out a great photograph wasn't/isn't easy on film and anyone who thinks it is easier with digital needs to really understand what is going on.

Many great photographers in the past didn't even develop their own photographs they ahd a developer to do it for them giving them instructions of what they wanted. Why, because the photographer had the vision but not the developng skills and the developer had the manipulation skills but not the vision.

ultimately it's all about the picture and the realisation of the idea of what the picture should look like. If you have a picture in your mind and you can make an image that looks like that, then how it's brought about doesn't matter

Keeping it local