The Photography Thread

Its a bigger sensor, the same size as a 35mm camera's film frame, more room for your pixels to spread out so results in better picture quality and much better performance at higher ISOs. Also costs a small fortune!

Raw is a file format which holds onto everything the camera has taken, so it is literally the "raw image" with no camera processing applied to it, were as if you shoot in JPG the camera will compress the image to lose the detail it thinks you won't miss. Takes much longer to process all your images and the file sizes shoot up, in raw on my Canon 7D the image size is around 25mb per shot, but if you get the exposure wrong for example it does give you a much better chance of saving a shot in your choosen image editing software, even in Lightroom the amount of detail that can be pulled out the shadows is amazing. Its worth a try if you haven't already done so, most dslrs these days will let you shoot in both Raw and JPG at the same time so you can do your own comparisons.

thanks

my D3000 lets me do this so I'll have a go.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Its a bigger sensor, the same size as a 35mm camera's film frame, more room for your pixels to spread out so results in better picture quality and much better performance at higher ISOs. Also costs a small fortune!

Raw is a file format which holds onto everything the camera has taken, so it is literally the "raw image" with no camera processing applied to it, were as if you shoot in JPG the camera will compress the image to lose the detail it thinks you won't miss. Takes much longer to process all your images and the file sizes shoot up, in raw on my Canon 7D the image size is around 25mb per shot, but if you get the exposure wrong for example it does give you a much better chance of saving a shot in your choosen image editing software, even in Lightroom the amount of detail that can be pulled out the shadows is amazing. Its worth a try if you haven't already done so, most dslrs these days will let you shoot in both Raw and JPG at the same time so you can do your own comparisons.

thanks

my D3000 lets me do this so I'll have a go.

Keeping it local

That can only mean a switch of brands?!?!?!? Of full frame? Or a lottery win and its Primes all the way!

What you got your eye on?

Already got it, a 50D, I have upgraded lenses over the years and have some that are just sitting in a cupboard.

Also Sharon bought a Tamron super zoom for her camera that released a couple of other lenses.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

my old friend nick the crazy farmer: he's been coming overevery morning fora brew and a moan/deeply philosophical conversation/laugh for over 20 yearsnick.jpg check out the chair.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

Keeping it local

L'Ang, that photo is brilliant, a real portrait/study, haven't seen many better - I hope you don't mind but I stuck it through my Topaz Adjuster and it came out like this -

nick.jpg

Not better, but a bit more grittier.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

that's why I said check out the chair.

it's a special chair

Is it the dogs chair? :lol:

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

L'Ang, that photo is brilliant, a real portrait/study, haven't seen many better - I hope you don't mind but I stuck it through my Topaz Adjuster and it came out like this -

nick.jpg

Not better, but a bit more grittier.

that's great, where do I get it?

I tried fgor that effect with the picture of the dosser by increasing the contrast.

Keeping it local

it is now :D

it's absolutely ancient about 50 years old there's a really valuiable fountain pen down the back of it.

Keeping it local

it is now :D

it's absolutely ancient about 50 years old there's a really valuiable fountain pen down the back of it.

Keeping it local

A few Sunset shots from my recent holidayat Molyvos on the island of Lesvos.

molyvossunset_IMG_7949.jpg

molyvossunset_IMG_7932.jpg

molyvossunset_IMG_7930.jpg

molyvossunset_IMG_7915.jpg

molyvossunset_IMG_7900.jpg

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

A few Sunset shots from my recent holidayat Molyvos on the island of Lesvos.

molyvossunset_IMG_7949.jpg

molyvossunset_IMG_7932.jpg

molyvossunset_IMG_7930.jpg

molyvossunset_IMG_7915.jpg

molyvossunset_IMG_7900.jpg

stunning Dave

I've seen sunsets like that when I've been to the Greek Islands, so I'm guessing you didn't have to do much if anything with them.

what's the story?

Keeping it local

stunning Dave

I've seen sunsets like that when I've been to the Greek Islands, so I'm guessing you didn't have to do much if anything with them.

what's the story?

The colours are more or less straight off camera, just then the usual levels and sharpening type tweaks.

The first one I don't know who the women are watching the sunset but they kindly stood in the right place after I pointed there was a good view of the sunset to be had from that vantage point.

The second one I enlarged the bird by about 50% and the third one didn't have the boat in so I nicked it from another shot of mine fom the same night that didn't have as dramatic a backdrop and blended it in to provide some foreground interest.

The last two are just cropped and minor tweaks with levels etc.

We had several nights of superb sunsets, the dramatic ones being when we got some cloud around. At sunset a small fleet of boats would always leave the harbour to go out fishing.

Not sure whether to ask here or start a new TRL Helpdesk, but here goes -

Can anyone recommend a decent photo hosting website?

I have been using Photobucket for years, but recently it won't let me access my account, which means I can't save my pics or transfer them onto a website. When I try to log in, I'm told the Photobucket website does not exist. I tried setting up a differend Photobucket account, but then it tells me I already have an account and should use that one..... grrrr.

A few people at our rugby club asked me to set up a site on one of the hosting sites that they could post their photos (club related) onto as well. I have looked at Flickr but you have to join via Yahoo and at Picasso you have to join via Google.

So, do any of you good people out there know of a hosting website where I can store my 'good' photos, also somewhere I can put ones I want to use on websites and also set up a club 'gallery' for others without too much fuss?

Any suggestions, within reason, appreciated.

Edited by Exiled Townie

I have been using Photoshop for years, but recently it won't let me access my account, which means I can't save my pics or transfer them onto a website. When I try to log in, I'm told the Photoshop website does not exist. I tried setting up a differend Photoshop account, but then it tells me I already have an account and should use that one..... grrrr.

A few people at our rugby club asked me to set up a site on one of the hosting sites that they could post their photos (club related) onto as well. I have looked at Flickr but you have to join via Yahoo and at Picasso you have to join via Google.

So, do any of you good people out there know of a hosting website where I can store my 'good' photos, also somewhere I can put ones I want to use on websites and also set up a club 'gallery' for others without too much fuss?

It depends what you want to do with it. If you're in it for professional hosting of lots of files then you might be best thinking about your own personal website and hosting. Doesn't really cost that much, for example, you can get an account with 1&1 for under

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I have been using Photobucket for years, but recently it won't let me access my account, which means I can't save my pics or transfer them onto a website. When I try to log in, I'm told the Photobucket website does not exist. I tried setting up a differend Photobucket account, but then it tells me I already have an account and should use that one..... grrrr.

I'd go with CKN's advice, it costs (a little) but its so much better than the general services you get and with services like WordPress you can get so many easy to use galleries, many for free that you can be up and running in no time with the minimal amount of messing about.

Flickr is ok, although to put lots of photos up you do have to subscribe and its not that customisable, I do quite like the groups though so see it as money well spent myself as its a good resource I refer to a lot.

I did have a look at smug mug, but wasn't to keen, to lazy to get to grips with CSS to customise the pages to look how I wanted.

There is always the option of facebook as well I suppose, not sure what compression they put on the photos, but you can share the link to non-members/non-friends to view and its not fussy in the slightest, but also not customisable in anyway I don't think.

Edited by shrek