The Photography Thread

Not sure whether to ask here or start a new TRL Helpdesk, but here goes -

Can anyone recommend a decent photo hosting website?

I have been using Photobucket for years, but recently it won't let me access my account, which means I can't save my pics or transfer them onto a website. When I try to log in, I'm told the Photobucket website does not exist. I tried setting up a differend Photobucket account, but then it tells me I already have an account and should use that one..... grrrr.

A few people at our rugby club asked me to set up a site on one of the hosting sites that they could post their photos (club related) onto as well. I have looked at Flickr but you have to join via Yahoo and at Picasso you have to join via Google.

So, do any of you good people out there know of a hosting website where I can store my 'good' photos, also somewhere I can put ones I want to use on websites and also set up a club 'gallery' for others without too much fuss?

Any suggestions, within reason, appreciated.

I use smugmug (see link in sig) it gives you a lot of design options that you can tweak yourself, it costs me about

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

well i bit the bullet,

finally went for the EOS 500d, 18-55mm IS and ( so far) a CANON EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS too.

NOW i just got to work out how to bloody use em! :lol:

don't read the instructions it isn't manly ;)

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Cheers, i like the one of the RAF Regiment lads in Afghanistan (My lad is the one in the middle with sun glasses)

If I were you, I'd feel the same :D

Keeping it local

well i bit the bullet,

finally went for the EOS 500d, 18-55mm IS and ( so far) a CANON EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS too.

Shout if you need help. We may not always have the answer but between us there is a good chance we can find it.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

well i bit the bullet,

Shout if you need help. We may not always have the answer but between us there is a good chance we can find it.

Thanks, thank god the manual is quite small as it ll be following me around for a while i am sure :D

Small, but the content a tad dry, blunt and to the point!

If you want some further reading, whilst not specific to your camera, Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a good read.

Small, but the content a tad dry, blunt and to the point!

If you want some further reading, whilst not specific to your camera, Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a good read.

I'll second that, I bought that for Sharon, its a very good book.

Over the last couple of evenings I've somehow managed to trawl through all 50 pages of this thread.

Some very impressive shots and knowledge on here.

I'm no photographer but was taken aback by this I spotted on the web.

I'll take it at face value and hope that I wasn't duped but this shot was snapped by a bloke on his own using a timer on his camera, and he apparently only saw what was in the background afterwards. Saved by the flash maybe?

1.jpg

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Liking the street B&W shots those faces look like they have stories to tell!

Reminds me in style of of a young Ginger Jon before he want all arty farty with film!

tbh I don't think they are sharp enough. But it's a start. I tended to snatch the shots a bit.

Keeping it local

tbh I don't think they are sharp enough. But it's a start. I tended to snatch the shots a bit.

Shooting from the hip is a tricky skill, especially with a long lense.

You are shooting at 300mm, if I read the Exif right, and with a shutter speed of 125th/sec. Your shutter speed when using telephoto should be roughly 'equivelant' to your focal length, so to avoid shake you should be looking at a minimum of 250th/sec or more likely faster. If you have to tightly crop the subject then you then again have to get the speed faster.

Shooting from the hip is a tricky skill, especially with a long lense.

You are shooting at 300mm, if I read the Exif right, and with a shutter speed of 125th/sec. Your shutter speed when using telephoto should be roughly 'equivelant' to your focal length, so to avoid shake you should be looking at a minimum of 250th/sec or more likely faster. If you have to tightly crop the subject then you then again have to get the speed faster.

aye, I remember that from the old days.

I'm starting to take my photography seriously again and I'm really enjoying it. It makes you look and think about what's going on around you.

Keeping it local