The Photography Thread

ok some pics I took for a mate at a club night back in June (I think):

Clubs and dress codes have relly changed since I used to boogie on down to the Charleston :wink:

Really like the black and white photos, very atmospheric.

I see you have joined in the monthly photo comp too, well done gn10, the more the merrier.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

The photo's were taken at le piscine molitor, really famous art deco swimming pool in Paris that has fallen into disrepair. A friends uncle managed it for the last few years and.this year they decided to destroy it so this was pretty much the last event held there ever.

This is it in it's better days:

piscine-molitor.jpg

Amazing place, I took a ton of photo's there when we were filming an advert for my Rugby (union) team.

so you are a Bath fan then

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

santorini_IMG_4691.jpg

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Manual focus for one.

A lower f stop should help.

What was your autofocus set on single point? Maybe offset it in that situation so the camera see.'s the focus point is on the gentlemen at the front?

I'm thinking post-production fixes actually. The Auto-focus wsn't functioning due to low light, Paley has pointed me in the direction oc that one, but I would like to present a more focused print of the picture to the guys because they were pioneers in what tree of them still do for a living within the Trust I work for, and all are fast approaching retirement, and they hadn't seen the 4th bloke for 5 or so years (2nd from right) & they have no idea when they will see each other again, as the bloke lives in Cornwall

Edited by Bleep1673

I took this photo earlier this month, and I'm not happy with it. Is there any way I can make the people in the foreground in focus as the camera seems to focus on the p***head in the background?

6430043131_419500fa17.jpg

DSC01108 by Bleep1673, on Flickr

so how did you hook mup with the Chicory Tip reunion tour?

they're all at it these days

Keeping it local

You could run a sharpener over it in something like photoshop or gimp, but out of focus is pretty much out of focus I'm afraid.

On the plus side it's not that out of focus, give the sharpen scripts a try.

agreed

the shgarpening facility in photoshop degrades the image to the point of uselessness.

Keeping it local

agreed

the shgarpening facility in photoshop degrades the image to the point of uselessness.

It doesn't if you mix it with other techniques.

There are many little tricks to improve the sharpness of a photograph in the area that you want, sharpening is one and like all other tools it should be used as little as possible.

One simple trick is if the focus is slightly off then you sharpen as much as you can the area you want to appear sharp and then reverse the selection and add a slight Gaussian blur to the part that is wrongly in sharp focus. If you then drop the contrast on the out of focus and increase it on the in focus and them similar with saturation you can make massive improvements. But and its a big BUT the original has to be within certain limits for the techniques to work.

No single tool in photoshop is a blunt implement to bash a poor photo into submission, but a few used together can provide a good lift to a photo that isn't quite there.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

It doesn't if you mix it with other techniques.

There are many little tricks to improve the sharpness of a photograph in the area that you want, sharpening is one and like all other tools it should be used as little as possible.

One simple trick is if the focus is slightly off then you sharpen as much as you can the area you want to appear sharp and then reverse the selection and add a slight Gaussian blur to the part that is wrongly in sharp focus. If you then drop the contrast on the out of focus and increase it on the in focus and them similar with saturation you can make massive improvements. But and its a big BUT the original has to be within certain limits for the techniques to work.

No single tool in photoshop is a blunt implement to bash a poor photo into submission, but a few used together can provide a good lift to a photo that isn't quite there.

good call dave

Keeping it local

I took this photo earlier this month, and I'm not happy with it. Is there any way I can make the people in the foreground in focus as the camera seems to focus on the p***head in the background?

6430043131_419500fa17.jpg

DSC01108 by Bleep1673, on Flickr

Although the photo is on the edge of what I can do here is a stab it it using the techniques I previously described but with addition of some local sharpening around the eyes (if nothing else get the eyes sharp).

padge6430043131_419500fa17.jpg

Edited by Padge

Although the photo is on the edge of what I can do here is a stab it it using the techniques I previously described but with addition of some local sharpening around the eyes (if nothing else get the eyes sharp).

padge6430043131_419500fa17.jpg

well played dave

Keeping it local

That is impressive, it has come out pretty well, especially as you're working form a jpeg, i would presume RAW might have a slightly better effect.

Much easier if you can start with a RAW file, better still if you get it right in camera. :wink:

As mentioned earlier check it if your Sony lets you pick the focusing point and use a different point or if it has focus lock (usually operated by lightly pressing the shutter release whilst pointing at where you want the focus to be and holding the button in to lock the focus) focus, reframe and then shoot.

There is a free draw going on at the moment at wearehouse express offering a chacne to win photogrpahy vouchers for signing up to the newsletter

www.warehouseexpress.com/giveaway

If you're interested

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Remember when ISO1600 just didn't exist beyond either some very expensive professional film or some smart trickery involving pushing ISO400 and hoping ... or when digital cameras expired beyond ISO800.

This is what a compact sensor can do at ISO1600 now - and it's more than useable at 3200 as well. Have to say, I've only taken the Lumix for a 30 minute spin but I'm very much loving it.

6443276679_9fb48ec21e_z.jpg

In the doorway by Jon Smalldon, on Flickr

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Thanks - very pleased with it