The Photography Thread

Just going through a box of very old family photos and there's some really old ones I hadn't seen before:

My great-great-grandparents at 85 years old in 1941:

Grandparent Fleming.jpg

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

9 hours ago, ckn said:

Just going through a box of very old family photos and there's some really old ones I hadn't seen before:

My great-great-grandparents at 85 years old in 1941:

Grandparent Fleming.jpg

I love old photos

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, Padge said:

I love old photos

I'm sitting in the hotel room scanning through a big old box of them.  My gran is on her way out, weeks at best, and I simply don't trust the rest of the family to keep the photos safe, or even allow others access to them when she's gone.  There's some real old crackers in there!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

My great-great grandparents' diamond wedding anniversary in 1934.  I'm sure some of the folk in it think they're supposed to be gurning.  Also, interesting to see the Godfather on the side of the pic...  This is the Scottish side of my family, all bar the guy in the bow tie every man of working age is a coal miner, my gran told me the story of how my great-great-gran made every man scrub himself red (with a bit of blood here and there) to get the in-grained coal dust out before the day.

My great-grandparents are on the right of the pic, great-gran front row right hand side (our right, not actual right), great-granddad behind him with my gran in his arms.

Scan_20171216 (2).jpg

• Like 2

Scan_20171215 (32).jpg

I'd forgotten about this picture!  1995, I was a few months out of the army and utterly unfit to play rugby as my body was still too injured to take any hits.  I needed to keep fit so I managed to con my way into the university football team.  My "enthusiasm" greatly made up for my lack of any actual footballing talent.

I'm bottom left of the pic, photo left.  This was the lowest I weighed in my adult life, I couldn't have been more than 11 and a bit stone as I'd lost a lot of muscle mass. bulk and overall fitness while recovering from multiple knee operations.

43 minutes ago, ckn said:

My great-great grandparents' diamond wedding anniversary in 1934.  I'm sure some of the folk in it think they're supposed to be gurning.  Also, interesting to see the Godfather on the side of the pic...  This is the Scottish side of my family, all bar the guy in the bow tie every man of working age is a coal miner, my gran told me the story of how my great-great-gran made every man scrub himself red (with a bit of blood here and there) to get the in-grained coal dust out before the day.

My great-grandparents are on the right of the pic, great-gran front row right hand side (our right, not actual right), great-granddad behind him with my gran in his arms.

Scan_20171216 (2).jpg

A true historical document. I'm engrossed by all of it, but the background is particularly intriguing.

5 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

A true historical document. I'm engrossed by all of it, but the background is particularly intriguing.

It was most likely taken at the local Masonic Lodge as you were either a Mason or you were nothing in that part of Scotland in those days.  I'm going to re-scan at a higher resolution to see if I can make out the documents on the wall in the background.

Just now, ckn said:

It was most likely taken at the local Masonic Lodge as you were either a Mason or you were nothing in that part of Scotland in those days.  I'm going to re-scan at a higher resolution to see if I can make out the documents on the wall in the background.

I'm guessing the picture in the middle depicts an aspect of the craft.

Round our way it was "the buffs". The Royal Antedeluvian Order Of The Buffaloes". I think this might have been because it was popular amongst service personnel who came home and wanted to keep it going.

People from mining communities scrubbed up really well, when the occasion required.

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

Higher res version, all I can make out in the top right one is "Grand Royal" something of Scotland.  Lady Justice is a fairly common sight in many Scottish historical secretive places that concentrate on "right" and "justice".

Scan_20171216 (32).jpg

• Like 1

Great pics CKN, I love old photographs, especially if there is a story behind them to place them in some sort of context.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

3 hours ago, ckn said:

Higher res version, all I can make out in the top right one is "Grand Royal" something of Scotland.  Lady Justice is a fairly common sight in many Scottish historical secretive places that concentrate on "right" and "justice".

Scan_20171216 (32).jpg

Kelty Masonic Lodge in Fife according to my gran. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Bloody hell, your dad's younger than me.

My gran was born 1931, my dad 1951, me 1971. I spoiled the chain by not spawning a child in 1991!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ckn said:

My gran was born 1931, my dad 1951, me 1971. I spoiled the chain by not spawning a child in 1991!

Don't feel bad CKN...my great grandfather was John Smith, my grandfather was John Smith, my father was John Smith and my oldest brother was John Smith when my only son was born I wanted to call him John Smith and my wife would have none of it.

WOE AM I!

On 11/3/2017 at 12:43 PM, Wiltshire Rhino said:

The Railway Village in my home town.

_20170815_183651.JPG

Just joining the thread on this page...as some know I am an artist/carver in the Haida /Salish traditions..of course I like the visual line (same as everyone else I suppose)

11 hours ago, ckn said:

Scan_20171216 (33).jpg

Last one for today.  My great-granddad in 1951 having a drink to celebrate the birth of my dad.

I like this one....captures the personality...photography as art.

• Like 2

On photos with context.  This is my grandparents when they were visiting my dad's new house just after he married again.  My gran refuses to tell me why they were so unhappy with him but just that it was most definitely him they were unhappy with :D

I asked my dad and he conveniently "can't remember". :D:D My decorated war hero seriously tough old Serbian grandfather looks like he wants to ethnically cleanse the house...

Scan_20171216 (60).jpg

Those are serious stares. You wouldn't have to be told there is something going on to know something is going on.

• Haha 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.