The Photography Thread

Anybody know why I can't see all the images on this thread but can see some of them?

No idea, they're all showing for me. Well... those that I can see are showing anyway... no red crosses.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

No idea, they're all showing for me. Well... those that I can see are showing anyway... no red crosses.

Not seeing any red crosses just words and a space where the phot should go - it works from home but not at work????

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Not seeing any red crosses just words and a space where the phot should go - it works from home but not at work????

Ah, your company's nanny-filter is probably blocking them... too much skin maybe! Some have functionality that assesses images for amount of skin revealed and if it is over a certain percentage it deems it not-safe. Stupid and discredited stuff but some IT security managers are gullible mugs who still buy it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Ah, your company's nanny-filter is probably blocking them... too much skin maybe! Some have functionality that assesses images for amount of skin revealed and if it is over a certain percentage it deems it not-safe. Stupid and discredited stuff but some IT security managers are gullible mugs who still buy it.

Thanks mate!

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

First time using my new camera.

Its a Panasonic TZ5. Thanks to Hullgal for recommending it to me.

I got a TZ4 last year, really pleased with it. Will be giving it a good run out at the Magic weekend. What I like is it is good for both quick snaps and more serious stuff, but is still very compact.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I got a TZ4 last year, really pleased with it. Will be giving it a good run out at the Magic weekend. What I like is it is good for both quick snaps and more serious stuff, but is still very compact.

Jim showed me his camera yesterday. I was well impressed. excellent build quality, and features and a cracking zoom lens. Very compact.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I have to say i am very pleased with it.

Hullgal gave me some good advice.

One thing i would like to know. I see people use black and white pics. Some of them really do look good, sort of setting the mood.

Now is it possible to use some form of editing to achieve this, or is it down to the camera?

If it is editing can anyone recommend a fairly cheap software to use?

I'm seeing a lot of red crosses in the last few posts?

Hmmm... I've been hearing that from a fair few people off this site as well. You're not on BT Internet by any chance are you?

One thing i would like to know. I see people use black and white pics. Some of them really do look good, sort of setting the mood.

Now is it possible to use some form of editing to achieve this, or is it down to the camera?

A year or so ago Gingerjon posted a link to a free down load site that converted your colour photo into a choice of about 20 different b/w ones. Hopefully he will remember the link or at least what it is called and put it on here for you.

Here's one from last weekends U12's game, St Albans v Hemel Hempstead.

3480171326_780bcc6cd5_o.jpg

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Your camera may have a BW mode. The problem is that it will probably just desaturate the image and make a washed out grey without much contrast.

The link that I think Townie is meaning is this little blighter which is a top plug-in for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.

It can produce some excellent results.

However I hardly use it for conversion now because once you get used to PS Elements you can do it all in there by just arsing with the levels, contrast and gradient map.

Et voila - one from Soho last week

3476824769_4a3942a91e.jpg

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Try GIMP its free (unless you want to make a donation) and it is very powerful.

You can find it HERE

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

After a year of trying to convince them that it'd be a good thing to do, the Bucks Examiner have finally printed one of my photies.

With a credit too (but no fee).

I'd put a link to it but it's of some local rugby union.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

After a year of trying to convince them that it'd be a good thing to do, the Bucks Examiner have finally printed one of my photies.

In last years Swinton v Keighley Programme they printed my pictures that I sent them of the Skolars v Lions game that was played the previous week, name credit was all I got too

Top man well done - did you just keep sending your pics to the sports editer etc?

Oh and go on.....post the link

Top man well done - did you just keep sending your pics to the sports editer etc?

I tried that and they never used them - either because they didn't cover the game at all or because their own tog had been there. Now they've made half their staff redundant and are running the paper from Uxbridge they don't really have any local coverage apart from what's contributed. It was the Bucks Shield Final which Amersham won - and it's an Amersham paper so they had to have something. They must have googled or something because they asked me -- and then, as said, I did it for a credit because they really weren't going to pay for a first-time contribution.

They chose about the worst photo I processed. It's here.

I tried that and they never used them - either because they didn't cover the game at all or because their own tog had been there. Now they've made half their staff redundant and are running the paper from Uxbridge they don't really have any local coverage apart from what's contributed. It was the Bucks Shield Final which Amersham won - and it's an Amersham paper so they had to have something. They must have googled or something because they asked me -- and then, as said, I did it for a credit because they really weren't going to pay for a first-time contribution.

They chose about the worst photo I processed. It's here.

Good man fair play to you - can;t see the pic as Websense doesn't allow access to flickr but will look later - well done for fame at last!

Went for a decent walk today in the Constable country part of Suffolk/North Essex (Link to National Trust walk site, we did the 7 mile walk) and got a few pics.

Now, bear in mind that I'm a complete amateur using a decent point&shoot camera (Canon Powershot S3 IS)

I stuck some of the pics on one of my websites as a slideshow (linky) but these are a few of my favourites:

Constable%20Country%20008.jpg

Constable%20Country%20048.jpg

Constable%20Country%20042.jpg

Constable%20Country%20026.jpg

Went for a decent walk today in the Constable country part of Suffolk/North Essex (Link to National Trust walk site, we did the 7 mile walk) and got a few pics.

Now, bear in mind that I'm a complete amateur using a decent point&shoot camera (Canon Powershot S3 IS)

ckn, hope you don't mind a bit of a suggestion, but taking the photo can just be the start. Have you ever thought of using a bit of photoshop fiddling? I took the two that I like the most and produced these:-

Constable20Country20008.jpg

Constable20Country20042.jpg

A little bit of cropping and a quick tweek can produce a slightly different photo. Not saying they are any better than your originals, just a different take.... and if I can learn how to use photoshop, anyone can.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Thanks for that... I might have a fiddle with some of the artsy things that come with this Mac :)

Some pics from around Haworth.

Any advice good or bad?

Try not to position the main point of interest in the centre of the frame Jim. There is a general rule (there to be broken of course) that points of interest should land on an intersection of an horizontal and vertical third.

In the second shot if you had been able to move to the right a little you may have had been able to lose the large green canvas and tree branch on the left.

On the third one you could crop out some of the empty space at the bottom.

All the shots you posted could stand a bit of sharpening.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.