Your Favourite Ever Rl Shirt

2 minutes ago, headtackle said:

The Saints big red vee shirt from 84 when Meninga was here.

IMO RL as a whole misses a trick with retro shirts. Can understand why the players need light weight, skin tight poly versions but as a fan a decent heavy weight retro cotton shirt with a number on the back is a fashion item - game day or not !

2 minutes ago, headtackle said:

IMO RL as a whole misses a trick with retro shirts. Can understand why the players need light weight, skin tight poly versions but as a fan a decent heavy weight retro cotton shirt with a number on the back is a fashion item - game day or not !

I agree. Magic W/end or Bash or a weekend of classic shirts. Saw a rip-off Northern Hooped shirt on Sunday. Just not the same.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

I don't mind magic weekend being for the charity supporting shirts. Some are better than others but great to support good causes

Agree though another retro round would be great. They have tried it on occasions - seem to remember the 100 year anniversary of league had traditional shirts (Saints played in Blue & White vertical stripes). Am sure England v Australia a few years back did something similar.

39 minutes ago, headtackle said:

There was a company called Retro Rugby a few years ago, who produced beautiful heavy cotton shirts in traditional designs. They couldn't make it pay, and closed down. A shame, but it seemed like the demand wasn't big enough.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have a Wakey shirt of indeterminate age in my collection a kit man gave me, given to him by one of the1967(?) Aussie Tourists. I do know which one too!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 6/13/2008 at 12:37 AM, Methven Hornet said:

Yes, they've played down the chocolate too often IMO.

Didn't Whitehaven have a plain chocolate away shirt in the early Eighties?

The club's traditional all white with one chocolate, blue and gold chest/arm band is perfect for a summer sport but I had a soft spot for Haven's late Eighties home shirt design: blue with broad chocolate bands edged in gold. Somebody once told me the late Eppie Gibson came up with the idea. Is that true?

It's on here, together with a couple of other classic Haven shirts:

http://trustinhaven.com/merchandise-for-all/

Other winners for me are Dewsbury's red, amber & black hoops, York's amber & black hoops and Workington's white with a broad blue chest/arm band.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

One of the biggest tragedies of the modern era is that this was Wigan's kit for one game only in the WCC challenge against Sydney in 2014.  Doubtless we can find a purist out there who says the socks should have been 'ooped.  But this is a thread about shirts, and this is a cracker.  I also love the shade of red, even if it's not churry.

Image result for wigan sydney world club challenge

• Like 2

For me the centenary season brought out all the best shirts. Would love to all go back to using those shirt as I can’t think of a bad one. As a Salford fan it was my fav ( probably coincidentally because it was a good season:)) . Brought out a real feel of the history of all our clubs and am sure reminded the older fans of great times.

Edited by Stanley30

Fav shirt has got to be Keighleys 1995 Premiership Shirt.

It may have looked like someone had been on 'some real serious s**' during the design phase and quite honestly was a visual monstrosity but its ' uniqueness' so fitted what was happening at probably the pinnacle of the Cougarmania Era.

Mine (plus the matching shorts) is unlikely to make more than a fleeting appearance out of my wardrobe , (yellow stars and claw marks look even more ridiculous on my now middle aged spread today than they did 23 years ago) but for memories its a shirt you cant beat

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 21.18.21.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 21.18.43.png

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 9:03 PM, Futtocks said:

There was a company called Retro Rugby a few years ago, who produced beautiful heavy cotton shirts in traditional designs. They couldn't make it pay, and closed down. A shame, but it seemed like the demand wasn't big enough.

Tyneside-based TOFFS (who produce excellent cotton retro football shirts) have some retro rugby shirts - all union, unfortunately, and only international teams.

www.toffs.com

• Confused 1

On 17/04/2018 at 8:12 AM, Hopping Mad said:

Didn't Whitehaven have a plain chocolate away shirt in the early Eighties?

The club's traditional all white with one chocolate, blue and gold chest/arm band is perfect for a summer sport but I had a soft spot for Haven's late Eighties home shirt design: blue with broad chocolate bands edged in gold. Somebody once told me the late Eppie Gibson came up with the idea. Is that true?

It's on here, together with a couple of other classic Haven shirts:

http://trustinhaven.com/merchandise-for-all/

Other winners for me are Dewsbury's red, amber & black hoops, York's amber & black hoops and Workington's white with a broad blue chest/arm band.

I'm not sure but I just got the impression from seeing many kits over the years that they emphasize the blue and gold more. Could be wrong.

• 1 year later...
On 12/06/2008 at 21:22, RL said:

Showing my age but love all the old simple shirts pre sponsors and logos with the number patch on the back.

My favourite was the Swinton V shirt that my late father wore in the great side of the 60s. I have one framed.(The same V that Saints copied and claim as their own :angry:

As a Station Road regular 1957 to 1966, my favourable shirt design  too.   Clean, simple design. If anything deserves the appellation "iconic",  it's that shirt. 

Edited by JohnM