Uninteresting Trivial Facts

It also comes with a kensington for which I will not be given a key. The head of department is on the case. He bloody ought to, I was due it in May but agreed to delay it so they could get to teaching labs sorted, then some eejit higher up decided to implement this policy last week.

I've never understood that... why give someone a laptop then permanently secure it to the desk. Are some IT departments really that stupid? Generally laptops are a bit more expensive than an equivalent desktop, their mean time between failures is significantly lower, their maintenance costs are significantly higher as they're more fiddly and they tend to be much less user friendly unless attached to a decent docking station and monitor.

I can understand someone being given a laptop if they're going to take it out of the office but as a permanent desktop it's idiotic.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I've never understood that... why give someone a laptop then permanently secure it to the desk. Are some IT departments really that stupid? Generally laptops are a bit more expensive than an equivalent desktop, their mean time between failures is significantly lower, their maintenance costs are significantly higher as they're more fiddly and they tend to be much less user friendly unless attached to a decent docking station and monitor.

I can understand someone being given a laptop if they're going to take it out of the office but as a permanent desktop it's idiotic.

Pretty much sums up upper management in my institution. IT wise we are well behind the times, I was working for NORWEB 10 years ago when they were issuing all staff with laptops and docking stations. My email is still on POP and although we are switching to an Exchange server next year. Nowadays our admin staff have little shuttle style machines and they do the job, but as a computer scientist I'm afraid I need a little more power. Also I already have a Macbook Core 2 Duo which will probably last longer than a cheap Windows laptop.

Fides invicta triumphat

A colleague of mine reversed his car over his crappy work Dell laptop....by 'accident'. They gave him another Dell of equally low spec.

My Dell laptop in my last job (which involved an awful lot of international travel) was so bulky that, with laptop bag, leads and a small amount of paperwork, it frequently put me over the carry on baggage weight limit.

I killed it in Japan by leaving it switched on and putting it in the laptop bag.

I was issued with an identical replacement.

I've pretty much ignored my 15" Toshiba laptop for the past 12 months. These days I use a 10" Toshiba netbook, which does everything I need a PC to do. It fits into my manbag (how metrosexual am I? Gingerjon would be so proud of me) and it goes everywhere with me, including Afghanistan as my main source of entertainment for films (using a spare plug in monitor), Internet, Podcasts, Word Processing and writing, Email, Skype video and MSN etc, whilst also allowing me to serial interface into telcoms kit for work purposes.

It also has a 9 hour battery life, so I rarely need to carry the power lead. It's a lovely little bit of kit, all for less than

I've pretty much ignored my 15" Toshiba laptop for the past 12 months. These days I use a 10" Toshiba netbook, which does everything I need a PC to do. It fits into my manbag (how metrosexual am I? Gingerjon would be so proud of me) and it goes everywhere with me, including Afghanistan as my main source of entertainment for films (using a spare plug in monitor), Internet, Podcasts, Word Processing and writing, Email, Skype video and MSN etc, whilst also allowing me to serial interface into telcoms kit for work purposes.

It also has a 9 hour battery life, so I rarely need to carry the power lead. It's a lovely little bit of kit, all for less than

Fides invicta triumphat

I need the 'screen real estate'. I typically have email, web browser, calendar, terminal, text editor and graphing windows open at the same time. My 20" G5 iMac is not big enough (might have something to do with having a 27" at home).

I'm sure you do, when it's a work machine. I was just being uninteresting and trivial.

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

Am debating whether to venture out later on "special circumstances" I spoke to Dad yesterday & he is making Pea & Ham soup today & I told him if the roads are bad I wouldnt be coming for some however am having second thoughts now. The lure is too strong :D

Wonder if Royal mail will deliver it to me? ;)

Really looking forward to my two coming over on Weds. It's my daughters first visit and she's coming to view the Uni, so not building my hopes up, but the fact she's willing to is a brilliant feeling after 2 years. My eldest, the best lad in the world, is accompanying her as he's been plenty times. Plus it saves me going the other way for a change

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

I hope it all goes well for you all maggs. I'm sure you'll be able to tie Lee up and hide him under the stairs or in a cupboard or something. :)

seems all too trivial after your latest post, take care of yourself

She's met Lee btw, they got on great at a Leigh East game - I left them alone for a full half :unsure: as I got stuck on the club house side, and she had been converted to a none sports watching (just there for mi mates) young lady, into an " it's not to bad actually, and I kinda understand a lot more" young lady

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

How's the Mister Saucisse set up going Tim? What sausage recipies are you marketing at the moment?

After 7 months and 22 meetings with the French civil service I've finally got the complete go ahead.

Done two fairs (one Christmas and one British Legion) as a tester and gone well so far. I intend appearing at three markets each week in the New Year covering three different groupings of expats.

Currently making this week for my final pre Xmas batch:

The Tasty Pork

Pyrenean Cumberland

Pork & Leek

Traditional style

Caramelised Onion & Red Pepper

with sausage meat for those who want it.

Got a couple of spicier ones to have a go at in the spring....

Keep your head down, and come over and try them when you are next back.

fantastic achievement,well done

I do quite like the look of the tray in the bottom left corner, nice big bangers............... :D

Ta! And thanks again for your help and those others on here who gave great advice.

I'm now dreading the day when I can't face a banger. Its bound to come someday but not for a long time yet I hope.

Ta! And thanks again for your help and those others on here who gave great advice.

I'm now dreading the day when I can't face a banger. Its bound to come someday but not for a long time yet I hope.

Looks triffic, well done luv

Would have gone for a striped t-shirt as well ;) ....my eyes...my eyes

do you do postal orders?

I think you need the Post Office.... ;)

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Big decision time, seems a job could be mine where I worked before in Warrington.

It'd double my earnings, but then there's where to stay when on shift, or move back north?

It's shifts again, there's my health, so much to mull.