Uninteresting Trivial Facts

On the 7am Liverpool to London train. Not done this trip for a while.

Client based in the awful Canary Wharf, so the sardine tin like conditions of the Jubilee line to look forward to, oh & all the up themselves wanabes that lurk round that particular bit of london. :(

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Client based in the awful Canary Wharf, so the sardine tin like conditions of the Jubilee line to look forward to, oh & all the up themselves wanabes that lurk round that particular bit of london. :(

Not been in London for a while? If so, you'll love the new improved Jubilee line with added extra delays, random stoppages and overcrowding conditions that would see criminal prosecutions by the RSPCA if they tried to transport livestock in such a manner.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Skirts are short for executive business ladies this year.

That's about the only positive I can see for your journey.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Not been in London for a while? If so, you'll love the new improved Jubilee line with added extra delays, random stoppages and overcrowding conditions that would see criminal prosecutions by the RSPCA if they tried to transport livestock in such a manner.

I had to spend a week at our offices at Canary Wharf last year, it was a horrible commute, the only positive being I didn't have to be in until 10 ish so I at least missed most of the morning madness. The view from 30 odd floors up in Canada House was pretty impressive, I got some nice pics looking out over London.

Yes, first time back working here for a while, and first time for a Canary Wharf based client. Definitely a bit of a shock to the system after spending the best part of 9 months working in Inverness. :wacko: Thankfully I will be able to fulfill most of my duties from home, so vists here should be few and far between, and it's only for about 8 weeks anyway.

As TT says, great views from floor 30 something of Citi Group building.

Jubilee line ok this morning, but then I didn't change onto it until about 9:30. Not looking forward to the journey back into cental London to my hotel though.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Yes, first time back working here for a while, and first time for a Canary Wharf based client. Definitely a bit of a shock to the system after spending the best part of 9 months working in Inverness. :wacko: Thankfully I will be able to fulfill most of my duties from home, so vists here should be few and far between, and it's only for about 8 weeks anyway.

Jubilee line ok this morning, but then I didn't change onto it until about 9:30. Not looking forward to the journey back into cental London to my hotel though.

If you're not in a hurry then walk.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

First time in a few years? A few things to do then:

- Get a Boris Bike out and annoy the taxi drivers by riding in the middle of the lane

- Take some pictures of prominent buildings in central London for a free night's accommodation courtesy of the Met Police

- Take time at rush hour to see the miserable, soul-less faces of the commuters who obviously hate their jobs and get a little bit of cheer knowing you're only doing it for a short time.

- Talk to random strangers on the tube to see which one you can scare the most. Civility scares the typical Londoner at rush hour. On the same track, make eye contact and smile at people.

- If you're in the same rough quarter of London from where you're staying to where you're going then experiment by taking the bus. Often it's about the same journey time but substantially more civilised than the tube.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Do people in London really walk to places?

It looks like walking. They make the same body movements as walking. They even call it walking. But it results in forward movement that is so slow, it is often counteracted by the effects of continental drift.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

First time in a few years? A few things to do then:

- Get a Boris Bike out and annoy the taxi drivers by riding in the middle of the lane

- Take some pictures of prominent buildings in central London for a free night's accommodation courtesy of the Met Police

- Take time at rush hour to see the miserable, soul-less faces of the commuters who obviously hate their jobs and get a little bit of cheer knowing you're only doing it for a short time.

- Talk to random strangers on the tube to see which one you can scare the most. Civility scares the typical Londoner at rush hour. On the same track, make eye contact and smile at people.

- If you're in the same rough quarter of London from where you're staying to where you're going then experiment by taking the bus. Often it's about the same journey time but substantially more civilised than the tube.

The last time I was working regularly down here I was working between Victoria, Croydon but mainly in Farnborough where I most often stayed. I would often take the mad commuter train cattle truck back there from Waterloo at the end of the day and take pleasure in those things highlighted. A cruel and sadistic pastime when you think about it. :tongue:

I am so glad I no longer have to travel around London on a daily basis anymore, it was doing my head in. When I go back now for personal reasons, I can't beleive how horrible it is, and can't wait to get back to the fresh air by the seaside here in Hastings. (Yes, it's not St Tropez, but it has it's moments)

I am so glad I no longer have to travel around London on a daily basis anymore, it was doing my head in. When I go back now for personal reasons, I can't beleive how horrible it is, and can't wait to get back to the fresh air by the seaside here in Hastings. (Yes, it's not St Tropez, but it has it's moments)

And I was just this lunchtime walking round Fitzrovia behind Euston Road and thinking: this is flucking awesome.

When a man is tired of London he's Steve May, as the great man once said.

The last time I was working regularly down here I was working between Victoria, Croydon but mainly in Farnborough where I most often stayed. I would often take the mad commuter train cattle truck back there from Waterloo at the end of the day and take pleasure in those things highlighted. A cruel and sadistic pastime when you think about it. :tongue:

On the miserable point, earlier this year, I think about May time, it was Friday afternoon and a beautiful sunny day yet the amount of people walking towards their train journey that looked like they'd just been told their granny had died was astonishing.

I've found that making eye contact with fellow commuters is treated almost as if you'd given them a quick grope as you walked past. My 30 minute walk to my last client from Liverpool St Station had a number of like-minded people I used to see regularly where we'd share a nod as someone who was "different" to the soul-less mass of humanity.

I always found this image was reflective of commuting life: (Linky in case it doesn't show)

wc221.gif