Uninteresting Trivial Facts

In my experience all IT people are complete muppets. 

Having just been subjected to a remote Windows 7 'upgrade' I concur wholeheartedly. 

The upgrade got half way through then my computer locked me out. Now I am back in I find half my work essential software has 'gone missing' despite being reassured it would be reinstalled as part of the upgrade.

We use VOIP phone things so with no PC I am forced to use my Blackberry to phone the IT helpdesk despite having rubbish reception.

The joys of working from home.

Having just been subjected to a remote Windows 7 'upgrade' I concur wholeheartedly. 

The upgrade got half way through then my computer locked me out. Now I am back in I find half my work essential software has 'gone missing' despite being reassured it would be reinstalled as part of the upgrade.

We use VOIP phone things so with no PC I am forced to use my Blackberry to phone the IT helpdesk despite having rubbish reception.

The joys of working from home.

My problem is that I had a two hour lecture planned where I needed to use a particular piece of software and was told it had been installed in the lecture theatre. When I went to use the software it requires an admin username and password to 'make changes to the computer'. IT's response was that they checked it was working but forgot that users don't have admin rights on any machine.

So the whole lecture that I had planned had to be done off the cuff. This is to final year students who have an assignment in two weeks that is worth 40% of the unit where they will need to use said software. :angry:

Fides invicta triumphat

Apples 8.0 was supposed to be an improvement but it seems that all it does is makes my older ipad slower.

This morning I downloaded its next "improvement" 8.1 after taking an age it then went into meltdown and for an hour all I had was the Apple logo, I couldn't even switch off.

It's now working and a bit quicker but still a lot slower than under the 7.0 series revisions.

Looking on Apple forums other people have encountered the same problem. The general consensus seems to be that it is a deliberate ploy by Apple to make older iPads obsolete.

(See Sev and TT I told you there is a plot against me!)

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

In my experience all IT people are complete muppets. 

All IT people?

That's a generalism.

My mate is an IT expert and he's a really good bloke.

l'Angelo will get in a beef if you don't apologise.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Apples 8.0 was supposed to be an improvement but it seems that all it does is makes my older ipad slower.

This morning I downloaded its next "improvement" 8.1 after taking an age it then went into meltdown and for an hour all I had was the Apple logo, I couldn't even switch off.

It's now working and a bit quicker but still a lot slower than under the 7.0 series revisions.

Looking on Apple forums other people have encountered the same problem. The general consensus seems to be that it is a deliberate ploy by Apple to make older iPads obsolete.

Not sure that the RFU can be blamed for this one  ;)

All IT people?

That's a generalism.

My mate is an IT expert and he's a really good bloke.

l'Angelo will get in a beef if you don't apologise.

All of the IT people I have experienced are muppets. I may not have had the pleasure of 'experiencing' your mate. 

IT and sys admin types are just those who weren't clever enough to do Computer Science :P

Fides invicta triumphat

IT and sys admin types are just those who weren't clever enough to do Computer Science :P

Quite a few of those clever enough to do Computer Science are often at home doing it because they are dyslexic.

Most also claim to be mathematically-adept practitioners. Surprisingly, a lot of them still haven't realised that, when comparing 13 to 15, it is 13 that is the prime number.

;) 

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

OS X Yosemite is hideous.  Foul.  Absolutely awful.  It looks like the Apple people have let the Windows GUI people loose on it.

Really? I couldn't disagree more, the GUI is lovely, much more crisp and clean. The OS is otherwise a big buggy - Mail and Airplay for 2 examples - but I'm sure that'll be patched soon.

Older hardware runs more slowly with newer software. It's rather like piling on six stones, aging 30 years and expecting to attract 22 year old women.

It's not an Apple thing at all.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

Older hardware runs more slowly with newer software. It's rather like piling on six stones, aging 30 years and expecting to attract 22 year old women.

It's not an Apple thing at all.

One of the apprentices in my team refused to believe me that Windows 3.1 was under 50MB fully installed.  How much of the modern OS is just bloatware from coders who are more interested in speed than quality, knowing the hardware designers will save their ineptitude behind even faster speed?  Apple is one of the worst culprits of that, they design to the maximum technology available and couldn't care less about yesterday's technology.  Suits them though as they just rake in the money.

My 2011 Macbook Pro was slowing a considerable bit after installing Mavericks so I installed a 1TB SSD in it, fairly rockets along now and nothing really challenges it except for the most modern games where the fans get so overworked that it sounds like a small jet trying to take off.  I know someone who has a similar laptop to me but without the SSD, he put Yosemite on it and it's almost killed its performance for anything but the most basic work.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just got in. Front room clock says  2-50am. TRL reckons it's about 1-50am.

Some swine's swindled me out of an hour.

;)

I blame Nigel Wood. it's a joke, a farce etc.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson