Uninteresting Trivial Facts

That work thing is way overrated. Bring on retirement. 4 years 46 weeks away.

No, it's not!

I retired at 52 from being employed and went to self employed for 3 days a week 16 years ago. Best thing I ever did.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

And I thought the season to be jolly had just finished! B) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

And I thought the season to be jolly had just finished! B)

It's a story to warm the heart at this dark time of year.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I just had the 'BT Support Desk' call me once again, a charming lady called Carole. She had a very strong Indian accent and the line was very poor....so it seemed legit given past experience of BT.

Apparently my internet connection is infected, which sounds very bad.

Carole confirmed it is VERY VERY bad and needs her help to resolve this without delay as this was affecting the whole internet. (Starting to feel like I was featuring in a episode of The IT Crowd)

I asked her to confirm my account number but apparently Carole works in technical support and not billing so could not see this, but after a few simple instructions she was able quote my CLSID perfectly.

Carole then got me to have a look at my event log which looked very scary with lots of red bits which no doubt were causing everyone's internet to slow down (sorry my fault).

After this she wanted me to go to a website where she could take control of my PC and make it all better for me on behalf of BT.

I politely told Carole to do-one and hung up.

This made a change as normally it's the Microsoft helpdesk people calling me to save my computer from all it's many viruses.

My wife and I had a friendly argument tonight about the best bass guitarists, then we went on to drummers.  I then spent lots of time on youtube watching old videos.  That then somehow got me onto listening to John Williams' themes.  Then onto classical themes.  A decent amount of whisky and hours later and I'm happily tapping my feet away to a shuffled playlist of classical music while reading my book.

A violent bit of my book coincided with The Blue Danube.  Fairly ruined the tension of the scene in the book...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Fifty years ago today, Adam West and Burt Ward debuted on TV as Batman and Robin.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

We must be living longer these days in NSW. I completed an online transaction with NSW Govt today and the options for "Year of Birth" started at 1900.

I have a vague memory of January 1st 1900 being, effectively, day 1 in computer based dates (possibly windows 3.1 or similar?). Perhaps the NSW Government just need a software upgrade? ;)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Snowing.

And sticking.

:( 

London doesn't seem to do snow any more.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

London doesn't seem to do snow any more.

Good chance of a bit tonight.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I have a vague memory of January 1st 1900 being, effectively, day 1 in computer based dates (possibly windows 3.1 or similar?). Perhaps the NSW Government just need a software upgrade? ;)

I remember that. I started with Windows 2.

It can't have been universally true though. I worked in Social Security Dept in 1989 and we must have had Age Pensioners over 90 then so there was some way of entering DOB pre 1900

Edited by Farmduck

I remember that. I started with Windows 2.

It can't have been universally true though. I worked in Social Security Dept in 1989 and we must have had Age Pensioners over 90 then so there was some way of entering DOB pre 1900

That was probably back in the day when software was written by people who had taken Computer Studies in school, as opposed to shiny-suited spivs who'd sell you someone else's half-checked coding and blithely assure you that nothing could possibly go wrong.

Ralph Waldo Emerson