Uninteresting Trivial Facts

Perhaps it just feels like that.  ;)

Imagine how long it must feel in an AFL state. The poor devils...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Headline news in today's East Anglian Daily Times: "Snow in Suffolk unlikely but it'll be icy".  That's it, the headline news is that it's winter and might get a bit chilly, but not too chilly.

My wife said this morning that it was bitterly cold outside so I thought I'd do the decent thing and de-ice the bird bath.  It wasn't frozen... soft bloody southerners...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

That was probably back in the day when software was written by people who had taken Computer Studies in school, as opposed to shiny-suited spivs who'd sell you someone else's half-checked coding and blithely assure you that nothing could possibly go wrong.

To be fair though, when the Pension system was designed, Age Pensioners only ever had 2 possible variations: change address or die. It also didn't have to "talk" to any other systems - there were no Income or Assets Tests so there was no link to the Tax Office. Pensioners rarely left the country back then so there was no link to Immigration.

On top of that I think they used COBOL in the 70s and 80s, which didn't change very often and had a big advantage that lots of huge US users had already found any bugs in it before the AUS Govt installed it.

To be fair though, when the Pension system was designed, Age Pensioners only ever had 2 possible variations: change address or die. It also didn't have to "talk" to any other systems - there were no Income or Assets Tests so there was no link to the Tax Office. Pensioners rarely left the country back then so there was no link to Immigration.

On top of that I think they used COBOL in the 70s and 80s, which didn't change very often and had a big advantage that lots of huge US users had already found any bugs in it before the AUS Govt installed it.

The second time in his life that my grandad went to hospital was in the Nineties. They informed him, much to his amusement, that he didn't exist. The first time he'd been to hospital was before the NHS was created, along with all their medical records.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've been invited to attend an After Action Review about an iffy decision made around a very wide strategy piece that I refused to commit my teams to do quickly and bodge.  I've had a seriously patronising discussion with another senior manager from another business unit who couldn't comprehend that someone from outside of her department could understand basic business concepts.  She was also gushing with praise about the consultant she was bringing in to facilitate the session and how she invented the concept of AARs.  My back was up enough about this that I did mention I'd done a few AARs before, albeit many years ago and in non-business settings, I did try to keep the sarcasm from showing too much.

One of my managers said "you seem a bit chippy today".  He's worked for me for 18 months and he's just getting that I can be a bit chippy?  Has he never met a rugby league fan before?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Good news.

I look so handsome in a poster for Swedish rugby league that a lady looking at it assumed it had been photo shopped.

Bad news.

I was next to her at the time.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• 2 weeks later...

Drummond Mill is a huge beautiful sandstone former textile mill. I's lain disused for a few years and there have been previous proposals to convert the site for residential development.

It's currently on fire with 125 firemen in attendance.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/14237169.SEVEN_VIDEOS__125_firefighters_at_major_mill_fire_in_Manningham/

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

25 days now without a B&H

Other Scandinavian hi-fi manufacturers are available. :P 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Have you dumped Denmark then Bob?

No.

Sweden meant nothing to me.  I was young and naive, I needed the money.

*sob*they told me it would be artistic*sob*

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Scottish tennis players are in four finals at the Australian Open! Current tally - won 2, lost 1. Andy Murray is the last to play, tomorrow morning.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Scottish tennis players are in four finals at the Australian Open! Current tally - won 2, lost 1. Andy Murray is the last to play, tomorrow morning.

I think you'll find he's only Scottish when he loses

According to the press he's British at the moment