Uninteresting Trivial Facts

I rather stupidly decided to read Tom Sharpe's The Throwback today. I'm now on my way home and have had to stop reading so the other train passengers don't start to think I'm a gibberish wreck with laughter. 

I'm at the bit with the two old ladies with their "custard mixer" :D 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Sharp wrote some purlers. Wilt blott and riotess assembly are so funny.

Riotous Assembly and Indecent Exposure are some of the funniest books I have ever read, the scene where Konstable Els is wrestling with the guard dog, and bites the dogs testicles still makes me smile today. Some of the best anti-apartheid literature ever written.

Edited by Bleep1673

4 hours ago, ckn said:

I rather stupidly decided to read Tom Sharpe's The Throwback today. I'm now on my way home and have had to stop reading so the other train passengers don't start to think I'm a gibberish wreck with laughter. 

I'm at the bit with the two old ladies with their "custard mixer" :D 

There are certain books and authors who are strictly in the "only to be read at home" category. Tom Sharpe is certainly one of those.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

At my funeral I want the organist to start playing "pop goes the weasel" very slowly until everyone is staring at the coffin in dread.

• Like 2

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

23 hours ago, Futtocks said:

There are certain books and authors who are strictly in the "only to be read at home" category. Tom Sharpe is certainly one of those.

Geoffrey Archer is another, or if reading out of doors, cover the book in wallpaper as we did with our school books

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Its nice to be important but more important to be nice

• Like 1

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

At hospital waiting for my wife in her hour long appointment. I normally bring my Kindle and read while listening to music. My Kindle is showing a battery error and I left my headphones at home. I'm stuck with basic internet over a restricted wifi and abysmal magazines. Do people really buy these mags?

My brain has an in-built jukebox that plays what it wants, often on repeat all day. Today's track of its choice is Rocket Man by Elton John, probably inspired by that advert on telly. Yesterday it was Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond. Sunday it was Mull of Kintyre. Saturday it was Cheap Thrills by Sia. 

As an aside, that advert with Rocket Man, great advert, pity for the advertisers I have no idea what they were advertising. 

• Like 1

Just now, ckn said:

My brain has an in-built jukebox that plays what it wants, often on repeat all day. Today's track of its choice is Rocket Man by Elton John, probably inspired by that advert on telly. Yesterday it was Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond. Sunday it was Mull of Kintyre. Saturday it was Cheap Thrills by Sia. 

As an aside, that advert with Rocket Man, great advert, pity for the advertisers I have no idea what they were advertising. 

Quoting myself... the worst one was All I Want For Christmas by Maria Carey that I couldn't get out of my head for days in early May. 

31 minutes ago, ckn said:

For an artist as successful as Elton John, I can think of very few cover versions of his hits. However, the musical interpretation of and video for the Kate Bush version of 'Rocket Man' is rather lovely.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

Geoffrey Archer is another, or if reading out of doors, cover the book in wallpaper as we did with our school books

With the Kindle (and other E-readers), you can read any old rubbish in public without being judged.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, ckn said:

Quoting myself... the worst one was All I Want For Christmas by Maria Carey that I couldn't get out of my head for days in early May. 

The worst example I heard of that was the cyclist Paul Kimmage who, not having a good day on the bike in a Tour de France time trial had My Brave Face by Paul McCartney spooling through his brain for the whole 73km.  Shudders.

On 13/06/2017 at 6:55 PM, ckn said:

I have the same affliction.

Today's tune is Marguerita Time by Status Quo!!! That will teach me to watch the Top of the Pops 1983/84 reruns that have been on BBC4 recently.

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:17 PM, ckn said:

At hospital waiting for my wife in her hour long appointment. I normally bring my Kindle and read while listening to music. My Kindle is showing a battery error and I left my headphones at home. I'm stuck with basic internet over a restricted wifi and abysmal magazines. Do people really buy these mags?

Quite a lot of magazines in our hospital are out-of-dates from WH Smith

45 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Quite a lot of magazines in our hospital are out-of-dates from WH Smith

Ah, no, this was a private Nuffield hospital.  Lots of things about country life, country fashion, executive gentlemen things (which actually read like a UKIP journal) and so on. 

14 hours ago, High Peak Rhino said:

I have the same affliction.

Today's tune is Marguerita Time by Status Quo!!! That will teach me to watch the Top of the Pops 1983/84 reruns that have been on BBC4 recently.

Today's, thanks to the wife watching Sound of Music, is The Lonely Goatherd. 

Fer sodding f***ety f***. I haven't been able to get that out of my head all day and I'm sitting in bed reading my book with it wrecking an action scene in the book. 

15 minutes ago, ckn said:

Today's, thanks to the wife watching Sound of Music, is The Lonely Goatherd. 

Fer sodding f***ety f***. I haven't been able to get that out of my head all day and I'm sitting in bed reading my book with it wrecking an action scene in the book. 

After explaining it to my lovely wife, she fixed it with Edelweiss. Aaaaaand sleep :) 

20 hours ago, ckn said:

Ah, no, this was a private Nuffield hospital.  Lots of things about country life, country fashion, executive gentlemen things (which actually read like a UKIP journal) and so on. 

In that case, yes, people buy them, and read them while waiting for their consultant to abandon his NHS job to come to their private consultations.

2 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

I put a piece of sellotape around my finger to remind me of the note(s) I have written on my hand.

I'm quite forgetful otherwise.

I've got a piece of sellotape on my finger, too. I can't remember why.;)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.