Uninteresting Trivial Facts

22 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

Stone age. Sat navs are great. I was like you until I tried one. If you're alone they're much more convenient and safer. However, I do usually pre plan any route I'm not familiar with on Google Maps before setting out.

Life's good here in Bedrock, mate.

Sincerely, F.Flintstone

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

I generally plan the route on google and using waypoints, can get to most places error free.  A GPS comes into its own when there is a diversion or road closure.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

my parents (like thousands of others) paid out around £400 for vhs video machine in the early 80s, I bought a dvd player from tescos the other day for £16

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

26 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

my parents (like thousands of others) paid out around £400 for vhs video machine in the early 80s, I bought a dvd player from tescos the other day for £16

I've always stayed a generation behind technology and saved thousands over the years. I even skipped the whole VHS/Beta era and when I bought my first DVD player for $100 it had a VHS player in it. I've never paid more than $100 for a mobile phone and my most expensive car was $2500. I love new technological concepts but I don't care whether I own them or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

I've always stayed a generation behind technology and saved thousands over the years. I even skipped the whole VHS/Beta era and when I bought my first DVD player for $100 it had a VHS player in it. I've never paid more than $100 for a mobile phone and my most expensive car was $2500. I love new technological concepts but I don't care whether I own them or not.

When I was in charge of IT provision at my school, I always did what you say. If you buy the latest gear, you are buying all the problems. If you buy the previous generation of gear, all the creases have been ironed out and the stuff works.

However, now that cars are pretty much all settled and the technology is known and can be trusted, I buy new. That way, I avoid most of the problems and save on repair costs. Depreciation doesn't bother me as I just run it into the ground over 10-15 years.

I'm having lunch at Wimpy in Peterborough. I think this is my first time in a Wimpy restaurant since the 1980s

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

And that's the last time I'll probably be in a Wimpy. The burger tasted worse than those from the ropey burger vans you get on roadside lay-byes.

It tasted like meat. Not beef or pork, not even the more generic cow or pig, just meat with unidentifiable fillers. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, ckn said:

And that's the last time I'll probably be in a Wimpy. The burger tasted worse than those from the ropey burger vans you get on roadside lay-byes.

It tasted like meat. Not beef or pork, not even the more generic cow or pig, just meat with unidentifiable fillers. 

You should have ordered the Big Bender. It is their signature dish, after all.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had some spare time so I had a wander around Peterborough Cathedral. Lovely building with some great architecture and history.  I may post pics later if I think the iPhone ones are any good. 

I've not been on a rush hour train from London in ages.  It's overcrowded because of a track problem and lots of cancellations. It's also deadly silent, a full Intercity carriage, including the aisle packed with people and no-one talking at all.  I've seen livelier graveyards. 

The other day I was listening to the Newcastle v Barrow game on Radio Cumbria on my Galaxy S2 2 tab. I decided I wanted to listen to it on my ipad. In order not to miss any of the commentary I tuned in my ipad without switching off the galaxy. When I had the commentary coming through on both devices. The commentary on the Galaxy was 3 or 4 seconds ahead of the ipad. 

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

It's raining. It's August and it's raining! Here in Crete.:yahoo: (It's the first rain for about three months.)

edit: I almost forgot. We've no water supply to the house due to a broken pump. Again! Fourth time this year.:sad:

Edited by tonyXIII

I had to sign for a delivery from ebay today, when I asked the van driver if any one actualy authorised signatures against an original (like they used to do at the bank) anymore I was greeted with a "don't know pal" and he hurried away.

At the train station today they had a thing up noting that it has been 30 years since the London-Ipswich-Norwich line was electrified. 

I still have some old bank statements from the abbey national, after they had persuaded me to get the "abbey habit" they ended up as Santander and I left for nat west

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Apropos of the last post, I can actually remember the words to the jingle in the Abbey National advert in the 70's.

Invest today at 2% tax free.  Irish National Permenent Building Society, O'Connell Street Dublin.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I drove to work today, got out of the car in the car park and started to walk the short (5 minute walk) distance to work. I realised I must have something in my left shoe because my foot felt uncomfortable. At this point I took the shoe off.

Then I realised I had two identical right shoes on. 

1 hour ago, Billypop said:

I drove to work today, got out of the car in the car park and started to walk the short (5 minute walk) distance to work. I realised I must have something in my left shoe because my foot felt uncomfortable. At this point I took the shoe off.

Then I realised I had two identical right shoes on. 

As I walked into work one morning I noticed I had two odd shoes on. One black and one brown. To make matters worse one was a slip on and one a lace up.

I was on tenterhooks all day waiting for or someone to notice and rip the pee out of me. I got away with it.

Edited by Bearman
Spelling

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Quite probably the wrong thread because this is really exciting news:  apparently DFS have a sale on of their sofas.

• Like 1