Uninteresting Trivial Facts

16 hours ago, Moose said:

I can still remember the names of my school's 'houses' and their colours although I left 59 years ago.

Wilberforce - red, Priestley - green, Oates - yellow and Murray - blue.

40 years for me.

Lancaster-Red*, Warwick-Royal Blue, Gloucester-Purple, York-Black, Buile Hill High School, formerly Salford Grammar (Alma mata of Peter Hook, Bernard Sumner (Joy Division/New Order), Albert Finney, Mike Leigh, and Harold Riley, among others), up to 1973

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buile_Hill_Visual_Arts_College

My Primary School was Seedley Junior school.

Houses

Agecroft*, Trafford, Ordsall, & Worsley

Neither building still stands. (*= My 'House')

Edited by Bleep1673

My school had a policy of naming the houses for famous people that were still alive.

Thus we had

Sargent ( Sir Malcolm conductor)

Scott ( Sir Peter the ornithologist)

Spence ( Sir Basil architect of Coventry Cathedral)

Aylward ( Gladys missonary).

When the school expanded we were given the opportunity to pick 4 more

Hunt (Sir Edmund 

Bardsley ( Cuthbert Bishop of Coventry)

Whittle ( Sir Frank jet engines)

Robson ( Dame Flora actress).

Only two of them could be bothered to visit the school .Dame Flo...I was given the task of asking " May I take your coat M'am". Also the very tiny but hugely impressive Gladys Aylward. (See the film Inn of the Sixth Happiness- a bit like Triggers comment re Ghandi " one film and you never hear of them again!)

Even the Bish couldnt be asred to visit

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

some one once told me "couples who play together , stay together" on that advice I have enjoyed a 30 year relationship based on weekly scrabble games and badminton once a month with the mrs

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:44 PM, graveyard johnny said:

some one once told me "couples who play together , stay together" on that advice I have enjoyed a 30 year relationship based on weekly scrabble games and badminton once a month with the mrs

I enjoy Scrabble, and Backgammon, I wish I could find someone

10 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I enjoy Scrabble, and Backgammon, I wish I could find someone

I don't know about Backgammon, but you can play Scrabble online with selected or random opponents.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I don't know about Backgammon, but you can play Scrabble online with selected or random opponents.

I am always cautious about playing games "online", I would like to know there is a chance I could win, once in a while. I got seriously stung by a poker website a long time ago, then I found out it was cheating.

I would like to start a Sussex Backgammon club, +/- Scrabble if I could find enough likeminded people.

It is nice here today.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

I am always cautious about playing games "online", I would like to know there is a chance I could win, once in a while. I got seriously stung by a poker website a long time ago, then I found out it was cheating.

I would like to start a Sussex Backgammon club, +/- Scrabble if I could find enough likeminded people.

It is nice here today.

I have the official Scrabble game on my Kindle Fire, and prefer playing the computer, rather than someone else online. But there's no money at stake, so any cheating would just be for bragging rights. Which would be a bit sad, really.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The photo on many scrabble boxes is of the hand of one of my friends. Now there's an uninteresting trivial fact for you.

We have played using a Dutch set he took the photos for. Only 4 points for a J.

I just drove 450 miles on a single tank of petrol and I still have a quarter tank left. Never done near that on a petrol car before, easy to do on a diesel one but not petrol. The roads were dead quiet so 60/70mph cruise control almost all the way from Scotland. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 12/02/2018 at 5:31 PM, Moose said:

I can still remember the names of my school's 'houses' and their colours although I left 59 years ago.

Wilberforce - red, Priestley - green, Oates - yellow and Murray - blue.

Uffington - Red 

Ridgeway - Green

Avebury - Yellow 

Stonehenge - Blue

Only 32 years ago though 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Mrs Moose is an avid runner and enters numerous road races every year. A couple of weeks ago she ran the Dewsbury 10k. It's usual after a race that every finnisher receives a commemorative tee-shirt.

Evidently this years shirt depicts the outline of Dewsbury Town Hall.

Is it just me or can anyone else see something else?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SFiPAByRzsCIVeWYSN92Is5bqwwK9UWt/view?usp=drivesdk

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

This thread was started by James Vukmirovic aka "The Serb" I am sure I have just seen him wrapped in a Union Jack watching the Big Air event at the Olymipcs

Thought it was spelled OLYMPICS? Or is that a WEST Midlands way of spelling IT?

1 hour ago, Moose said:

Mrs Moose is an avid runner and enters numerous road races every year. A couple of weeks ago she ran the Dewsbury 10k. It's usual after a race that every finnisher receives a commemorative tee-shirt.

Evidently this years shirt depicts the outline of Dewsbury Town Hall.

Is it just me or can anyone else see something else?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SFiPAByRzsCIVeWYSN92Is5bqwwK9UWt/view?usp=drivesdk

Would you mind posting your user name and password so we can access Google Drive to see the image?

while you’re at it, what’s your mother’s maiden name and your first pet?

• Haha 1