Uninteresting Trivial Facts

On 21/04/2018 at 12:24 PM, Moose said:

I've just eaten my first avacado pear, I had it on wholemeal bread with peanut butter. 

Couldn't taste the avocado, should have stuck to my usual combo of banana and peanut butter.

This is a middle class trap test. No one actually eats avocados, kale or quinoa except social climbers.  It’s a sign to proper middle class folk that a social climber is approaching and they should start making stuff up to see if they can get the others to fall for it. :P 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I used to eat loads of them while I was living in California now.

But, I live in Europe now, so I do not.

I don't dislike the flavour of avocado, but it isn't interesting enough for me to bother with except as the bulk ingredient of guacamole.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 4/21/2018 at 7:24 PM, Moose said:

I've just eaten my first avacado pear, I had it on wholemeal bread with peanut butter. 

Couldn't taste the avocado, should have stuck to my usual combo of banana and peanut butter.

There's an avocado tree directly outside my office door. (out of season)

You can't beat the sweet/nutty flavour of a fresh, ripe avocado.

The problem is in the UK they're picked and imported massively under-ripe, so they're generally taseless (like bananas).

If it's ripe it should be easy to indent the skin with your thumb and the stone/seed will probably rattle. The flesh should be soft and quite yellow.

Top Tip: If it's not ripe yet, put it in a bag of dried rice for a day or two. Once it's ripe you can store it in the fridge for about a week. Once opened, if you want to save half, put the stone back in place to prevent it going black.

20180423_113701.jpg

14 minutes ago, Moose said:

Whereabouts in Wakey is your office? ?

Strange that you find bananas tasteless.

Wakefield's equatorial suburbs ☺

I used to like bananas until I had real bananas ripened on the plant. There's such a wide variety of shapes, sizes and flavours, but supermarkets seem to insist on the same old Cavendish cultivar from sunny Derbyshire. Again, picked unripe and shipped from the carribean,  compared to others, they taste like polystyrene. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35131751

10 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Wakefield's equatorial suburbs ☺

I used to like bananas until I had real bananas ripened on the plant. There's such a wide variety of shapes, sizes and flavours, but supermarkets seem to insist on the same old Cavendish cultivar from sunny Derbyshire. Again, picked unripe and shipped from the carribean,  compared to others, they taste like polystyrene. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35131751

There's a lot of that in fruit and veggies, once you taste the proper stuff you can then immediately tell the mass-produced and fake-ripened stuff.  Tomatoes are a perfect example.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

17 hours ago, ckn said:

This is a middle class trap test. No one actually eats avocados, kale or quinoa except social climbers.  It’s a sign to proper middle class folk that a social climber is approaching and they should start making stuff up to see if they can get the others to fall for it. :P 

Busted. I eat all of them :P  Although I started eating kale as a kid in the 70s that my dad grew in the back garden because you can pick it right through the winter, at a time when our terraced house had neither heating nor an inside toilet. So I reckon kale has done more social climbing than me...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ckn said:

I was in my local Co-Op at the weekend, and some woman (Obviously from out of St. Leonards) was asking the assistant where their Quinoa was. He looked at her as though she was speaking a foreign language, then asked her what it was. I stepped in and asked her if she was new to the area, and when she replied she was on holiday from S W London, I pointed out where she might get it from. We have a Sainsbury's but not a Waitrose, so I sent her there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working this weekend getting a funding plan done for the next few years.  A crazily short deadline of Thursday means today and tomorrow are working days.  A teleconference conversation just now between my team and the team of the neighbouring areas to share our work and shortcut things:

Them: "what's that noise in the background?"

Me: "that's a blackbird getting quite unhappy with a cat hanging around the bird bath"

Them: "you have a bird bath at your office?"

Me: "no, I'm at home, in the garden enjoying the sun while working"

Them: "are your team in the office then?"

My team: "no, we're at home as well"

Them: "... why didn't we think of that?"

:P

• Haha 1

As I worked very hard yesterday and accomplished all bar an hour of work that I need to do today, I now get a day off to rest.

My wife tells me that the garden needs to be done.  Here's my plan for today:

- Cut grass
- Strim weeds from the block paved patio out back and side of the house.  (FFS, I only did that a couple of weeks ago)
- Pressure wash the whole thing, right into the gaps to get all the weeds out.
- Salt the whole thing liberally using a whole 10kg bag of salt brushed into the gaps
- Let it dry.  Shouldn't take long in this sun.
- Sand it properly using kiln dried sand.

Get annoyed at the wife for not helping.  Get even more annoyed when she does help.

Sit down after hard work, wait for the "aren't you going to trim the bushes?"

I think I'd rather have another day of paid work.

19 hours ago, ckn said:

I'm working this weekend getting a funding plan done for the next few years.  A crazily short deadline of Thursday means today and tomorrow are working days.  A teleconference conversation just now between my team and the team of the neighbouring areas to share our work and shortcut things:

Them: "what's that noise in the background?"

Me: "that's a blackbird getting quite unhappy with a cat hanging around the bird bath"

Them: "you have a bird bath at your office?"

Me: "no, I'm at home, in the garden enjoying the sun while working"

Them: "are your team in the office then?"

My team: "no, we're at home as well"

Them: "... why didn't we think of that?"

"We're all naturists as well, by the way" would, I think, have been the perfect way to finish that off.

• Haha 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

8 hours ago, ckn said:

As I worked very hard yesterday and accomplished all bar an hour of work that I need to do today, I now get a day off to rest.

My wife tells me that the garden needs to be done.  Here's my plan for today:

- Cut grass
- Strim weeds from the block paved patio out back and side of the house.  (FFS, I only did that a couple of weeks ago)
- Pressure wash the whole thing, right into the gaps to get all the weeds out.
- Salt the whole thing liberally using a whole 10kg bag of salt brushed into the gaps
- Let it dry.  Shouldn't take long in this sun.
- Sand it properly using kiln dried sand.

Get annoyed at the wife for not helping.  Get even more annoyed when she does help.

Sit down after hard work, wait for the "aren't you going to trim the bushes?"

I think I'd rather have another day of paid work.

Grass cut
Weeds strimmed
Patio pressure washedWeeds pressure washed out.  The fun part.
Liberally salted, more like 15kg of salt used.
Hasn't dried so sanding is postponed until tomorrow.

Bottle of peroni opened and now enjoying the nice tidy garden.

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

I have always been disappointed with tapas, promises so much but delivers so little

Have you tried padron peppers? Delicious fried in olive oil with a liberal seasoning of sea salt.

1 hour ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Patatas Bravas is a scarcity in Tapas restaurants in Madrid, unlike Tapas restaurants in the UK.

Are you including chips and ketchup in the definition?

Because, I think you should.

• Haha 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 23/4/2018 at 10:34 AM, ckn said:

There's a lot of that in fruit and veggies, once you taste the proper stuff you can then immediately tell the mass-produced and fake-ripened stuff.  Tomatoes are a perfect example.

I lived a couple of years in California.

While I was away, avacados became popular in Copenhagen.  The lass buys them, I throw most away.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

A friend of mine was second in A Song for Cyprus.

As the winner had pretty much already been selected, that was actually impressive and he is easily the most talented musician I know.

An actual mosquito task force rang my door bell last night. A mosquito task force!

I'd just watered the plants on the front window sill which they ummed and arred at, but the worst is that i now have to clean an unused Jacuzzi on Sunday. On the roof. In the sun. Hungover.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

2 hours ago, MattSantos said:

An actual mosquito task force rang my door bell last night. A mosquito task force!

I'd just watered the plants on the front window sill which they ummed and arred at, but the worst is that i now have to clean an unused Jacuzzi on Sunday. On the roof. In the sun. Hungover.

It does seem unreasonable of them to get you drunk on Saturday.

• Haha 1

I'm working all weekend and have had LBC on in the background all day.  I think I've heard about every iteration of judgementalism that there is possible on all major subjects we have today.

The latest one is "kids are fat because parents are lazy, parents can't say no and take their kids two stops on a bus then stuff their faces with McDonalds rather than walk then eat healthy stuff".

46 minutes ago, ckn said:

I'm working all weekend and have had LBC on in the background all day.  I think I've heard about every iteration of judgementalism that there is possible on all major subjects we have today.

The latest one is "kids are fat because parents are lazy, parents can't say no and take their kids two stops on a bus then stuff their faces with McDonalds rather than walk then eat healthy stuff".

Sounds like a fair analysis of the British diet. ☺

• Haha 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.