Uninteresting Trivial Facts

abba got their name by using the initials of the surnames of the brotherhood of man from wakefield who they always aspired to be like, Alan- Barbra - Brenda and Albert 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• 3 weeks later...

This strays into the interesting, but we don't have a thread for that. Oh well. 

Kent Walton, the voice of ITV wrestling, had a brief career as a producer of softcore grumble flicks, including 'Virgin Witch' and 'Can you keep it up for a Week?'

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 7:13 PM, Bob8 said:

I had my last day at in my job after almost twelve years at the same company.

I am still working at the same company 23 years later, I speak and listen to the younger generation who change jobs like they change clothes.

8 minutes ago, RoyBoy295 said:

I am still working at the same company 23 years later, I speak and listen to the younger generation who change jobs like they change clothes.

Many companies operate in the same way...

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

58 minutes ago, RoyBoy295 said:

I am 56 and have never spent more than 5 years in the same company

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

that's what happens when your work mates decide to start a petition 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Shadow said:

I'm similar. Although a mere whipper-snapper at 53, my current job is my longest at 4 years. It's also the lowest paid job I've ever had. 

My CV says, "always seeking new challenges" which translates as "gets bored quickly.

11 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

I'm similar. Although a mere whipper-snapper at 53, my current job is my longest at 4 years. It's also the lowest paid job I've ever had. 

My CV says, "always seeking new challenges" which translates as "gets bored quickly.

That's why I have worked in over 110 hospitals, while working for various agencies, now no-one will take me seriously. I may remove that statistic from my CV.

• 1 month later...

There is a couple of seemingly unrelated items in the news this week. Firstly that we are drinking less than we were in 2000, and secondly that we are having less sex than ever before.

Is this related to the abundance of Fugly women out there, and the lack of beer goggles?

I will see you after my ban.

With regards to the drinking. Really. There is such a stigma now on anyone who drinks, and the pressure from employers, plus there has been a mass closure of pubs over the last 20 years, plus the fact the Governments health watch dogs have reduced the recommended weekly intake from 21 units for men and 14 for women, down to 14 units per week for men and 7 per week for women. These are not Pints per week, units. If you imagine a pint of Stella is 2.3 units, and a bottle of wine is 13 units, it really is no wonder we are drinking less. Most people I know could seriously damage their RDA of 14 units/wk in one night, that equates to about 6 pints, 3 large glasses of wine, or four regular shorts. The last 2 employers have had a "Zero Tolerance" attitude to alcohol or drugs. The last one, Ontrak, fired me when I told them I was taking painkillers for 2 broken ribs sustained while out on my MTB. Although due to the nature of the work, both were reliant on 3rd party information.

If any of the hospitals I worked in towards the end of my career as an ODP had the same attitude, I doubt I would've made it into the millennium, I did a drink diary for my GP back in 2000, and I was drinking 175 Units/wk, that means I was probably still over the Drink Drive limit when I turned up for work in a morning. Although I have not had a drink since November 2018.

Just been talking to someone about my life playing (mostly) Amateur Rugby League, and it occurred to me that all through the 30 years of "playing" Rugby of both codes, I have never played in a team that has been relegated. I have been promoted twice, and won 4 cups*, but only came close to relegation once, in the early 1980's, in the NWCARL Div3, when we finished in the relegation zone, but due to some teams above dropping out, and sub-dividing a division below to accommodate new teams, we were spared, 2 years later we won the Division.

* Colleges Cup, 1979, Valentines Cup 1984 (ish), and 2x London Cups

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Probably with a home made mower, and trying to do 60MPH on it?

You'd think so wouldn't you?

Somewhat disappointingly he was pushing a lawnmower.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• 4 weeks later...

@qikipedia
1 hour ago

Word of the day: UMARELL - a slang term from Bologna. It means “a retired man who watches construction sites and gives unsolicited advice.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

@qikipedia
1 hour ago

Word of the day: UMARELL - a slang term from Bologna. It means “a retired man who watches construction sites and gives unsolicited advice.”

known in this country as "the interference officer"