Uninteresting Trivial Facts

The Oxford English Dictionary credits T S Eliot with the first use of the word ###### in print.

I.e. that smelly substance which is deposited by male cattle.

Edited by JonM

I was checking the Saturday trading hours of one of my local chemists and found this paragraph on their web page:

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse dui justo, tristique ac augue ultrices, dictum porta mi. Mauris quam quam, gravida et elit at, egestas efficitur felis. Nunc tincidunt egestas purus, quis tincidunt lectus posuere non. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aliquam euismod orci sit amet lobortis scelerisque. Praesent vitae tortor id diam semper convallis tempus eget ipsum. Quisque massa lorem, mollis sed orci faucibus, elementum feugiat eros. Integer a lorem id elit feugiat scelerisque id vel arcu."

I guess they must be located in the Latin Quarter.

Anyway it translates as:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse dui to the just, feugiat elit convallis augue ultrices, it was said the gate of my lord. And the largest, pregnant and developer at poverty brought about football. Now developers want chili, who graduated developers are not set. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. The latest clinical Performance carrots carton chocolate. The time of the very need of diam convallis tortor id of life is always present. Each mass lorem, soft and clinical pass element feugiat. Integer lorem eu thermal developer that he or alcohol.

OK, so I'll try a different translator:

"Welcome to wordpress. The recommended job interview, the sad and the likelihood of leakage, said my gate. Funny how how, designers and industry, law enforcement has evolved dramatically. Now developers okay, someone start the car, put not. Welcome to wordpress. Some sneak a magic pill chocolate. It's also a tool that the camera always balance the time you need. Each mass training, gentle but clinical the throat, the element of freight in the united states. Can help you from home this means that the overall thermal id or schedule."

So, while it is clearly gibberish, it turns out to be not quite as dumb as it seems:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moose said:

I’ve just scored 121 in a single Scrabble move

Details man, details!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Details man, details!

I was playing on my laptop against the computer.

Difficulty - skilled, Game type - classic

A simple enough word  QUIZ  but I was able to play it on the perfect squares. Q on a double letter one, U and I  a single letter one and Z on a triple word square.

Played on single letter squares it gives a score of 22 but using the multipliers that rises to 96. The Q and I, I added to existing words to make  longer words which when added together came to 121. ( sorry but I can't remember the other two words )

That's about as uninteresting as I can make it.

• Like 1

Cats have an average of 60,000 individual hairs per square inch on their bodies and approximately 120,000 per square inch on their underside. 

I have two cats and they have successfully turned my living room carpet white with all the shedding. One in particular is good at this. You can stroke said cat and come away with a pair of gloves on. It got me wondering just how many hairs she has, hence I did the research. ?

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Cats have an average of 60,000 individual hairs per square inch on their bodies and approximately 120,000 per square inch on their underside. 

I have two cats and they have successfully turned my living room carpet white with all the shedding. One in particular is good at this. You can stroke said cat and come away with a pair of gloves on. It got me wondering just how many hairs she has, hence I did the research. ?

Just reading this makes me want to sneeze

On 20/07/2019 at 16:05, Futtocks said:

You can generate Lorem Ipsum text in Microsoft Word: https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/07/how-to-create-random-text-in-microsoft-word/

I'm sure you can but why? In the old days of printing I could maybe understand placeholder text but these days, why? If you want to reserve a space, just put in the store trading hours or some bland statement about "service with a smile" or similar. With digital formatting, surely you can create or delete a space wherever and whenever needed.

Hell, here's a bizarre idea: since this is a commercial site, why not use that space to advertise one of your products?

36 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

I'm sure you can but why? In the old days of printing I could maybe understand placeholder text but these days, why? If you want to reserve a space, just put in the store trading hours or some bland statement about "service with a smile" or similar. With digital formatting, surely you can create or delete a space wherever and whenever needed.

Hell, here's a bizarre idea: since this is a commercial site, why not use that space to advertise one of your products?

Wordpress use it to show a rough idea of how a page would look.  It's a template in the software/backend that the site owner hasn't removed (or disabled)

• Thanks 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:10, Futtocks said:

@qikipedia
1 hour ago

Word of the day: UMARELL - a slang term from Bologna. It means “a retired man who watches construction sites and gives unsolicited advice.”

Surely the English translation of this is "The Owners wife"

16 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I'm sure you can but why?

It's been standard practice on websites since the web began in the early/mid 1990s - amazed you've never seen it before.

Edited by JonM

5 minutes ago, JonM said:

It's been standard practice on websites since the web began in the early/mid 1990s - amazed you've never seen it before.

The alternative is, of course, copy/paste some blurb from a takeaway into the mission statement of your Brexit-profiteering vessel-free ferry company.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, JonM said:

I didn't get the Internet until about 2008.

@qikipedia
A 2016 study found that European badgers were less terrified by the sounds of bears, dogs, and wolves than by an audio recording of a person reading from ‘The Wind in the Willows’.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I leave this image here without explanation or apology.

EARAU7TXoAIaHVH.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I leave this image here without explanation or apology.

EARAU7TXoAIaHVH.jpg

My life hurts.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

My local paper informs me you can be fined for driving in flip flops

I was once fined for driving in winklepickers - got 2 points

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile