Uninteresting Trivial Facts

13 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I don't know him but I think I've spoken to his wife on the village facebook page 

Mrs Shadow and I were out for a walk on Sunday across the open area behind the sign in my post and heard a cuckoo. 

That's nothing. I hear one every half hour and again on the hour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

52 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Doesn't everyone's wife boss them about?

I only tried marriage once. Since then, I've never met anyone rich enough to make me want to try again.

?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Out of interest, in 1974 when county lines were changed, do the people of Earby still count themselves as White Rose?

When I am asked where I was born, I still say Salford, Lancashire. Because Salford was in Lancashire in 1962.

Edited by Bleep1673

For the first time in quite a long while, I've looked at my full TRL "ignore" list. There are a small handful who go on and off the list temporarily, when they are being silly, obnoxious or, even worse, obsessively dull.

But the majority don't need to be on there any more, as they (and their sockpuppets) have since been banned.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 20/05/2020 at 16:51, Moose said:

Spooky or what?

On the Spuggies and jackdaws thread Robin posted that he’d heard a cuckoo. Out of interest I googled cuckoo, I haven’t heard one for years. This is what google came up with

https://www.birdspot.co.uk/?p=24426

Before today I’d never heard of Nomansland.

Do you know Mr Lankford?

Nomansland is in the New Forest; for those of you not familiar with that area, the landscape in Shadow's picture of the Nomansland village sign is very typical, with its mix of short grass areas, called lawns, plants such as bracken, and trees, often a mix of deciduous and coniferous.

This is a good landscape for cuckoos, Moose, even nowadays when they are much less common.

Coincidentally, four hours ago, my wife, daughter-in-law and I were walking our dog at Fritham Plain, which Shadow will know well, as its all of about three miles from him.  It rarely disappoints in terms of cuckoos in April and May and today was no exception; we heard three and saw two of them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moose said:

It looks and sounds a delightful place.

The New Forest is great, Moose - well worth considering from a 'home' holiday (I cannot bring myself to use that awful contrivance, 'staycation'!) once the current situation eases.  Nomansland is good and has a well regarded (I think, Shadow) local pub called The Lamb.  During lockdown, my family occasionally gets a takeaway dinner and tonight we got one from one of the pubs offering this service during the current crisis.  We almost chose The Lamb, but opted for the Horse & Groom at Woodgreen, another lovely New Forest village.

In the spirit of this being a trivial facts thread, I can also report that 'Nomansland' is the destination display on a model of a 1950s Hants & Dorset single-decker bus that you can buy!  Here is the link:

http://www.modelbuszone.co.uk/efe/sd/163/16320.html

9 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

The New Forest is great, Moose - well worth considering from a 'home' holiday (I cannot bring myself to use that awful contrivance, 'staycation'!) once the current situation eases.  Nomansland is good and has a well regarded (I think, Shadow) local pub called The Lamb.  During lockdown, my family occasionally gets a takeaway dinner and tonight we got one from one of the pubs offering this service during the current crisis.  We almost chose The Lamb, but opted for the Horse & Groom at Woodgreen, another lovely New Forest village.

In the spirit of this being a trivial facts thread, I can also report that 'Nomansland' is the destination display on a model of a 1950s Hants & Dorset single-decker bus that you can buy!  Here is the link:

http://www.modelbuszone.co.uk/efe/sd/163/16320.html

I can confirm all of the above, The Lamb is a very nice local pub, as is the other local coincidentally named the Cuckoo. If Narnia had a pub it would look like the Cuckoo. Sadly the Cuckoo has only limited catering facilities so is shut completely.

Fritham is an area I know well, it's a favourite running route and if I'm feeling really energetic I can run there from home. There is a great pub there as well, The Royal Oak. 

In the spirit of the thread, the Village of Nomansland is in Wiltshire but the Village Cricket ground opposite the Lamb is in Hampshire.
The county line used to go through the Pub putting one bar in Hampshire and one in Wiltshire which meant they kept one bar open an extra half an hour.

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

I can confirm all of the above, The Lamb is a very nice local pub, as is the other local coincidentally named the Cuckoo. If Narnia had a pub it would look like the Cuckoo. Sadly the Cuckoo has only limited catering facilities so is shut completely.

Fritham is an area I know well, it's a favourite running route and if I'm feeling really energetic I can run there from home. There is a great pub there as well, The Royal Oak. 

In the spirit of the thread, the Village of Nomansland is in Wiltshire but the Village Cricket ground opposite the Lamb is in Hampshire.
The county line used to go through the Pub putting one bar in Hampshire and one in Wiltshire which meant they kept one bar open an extra half an hour.

Thanks, Shadow.  For some odd, illogical reason I completely forgot to mention The Cuckoo, though in 'normal' times, I drive past it three of four times a week.  You are right; it's a great pub, not least of all because of the comparative lack of emphasis on food.

9 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Out of interest, in 1974 when county lines were changed, do the people of Earby still count themselves as White Rose?

When I am asked where I was born, I still say Salford, Lancashire. Because Salford was in Lancashire in 1962.

I think you're on safe ground. I can't see anywhere  else wanting to claim Salford. The confusion comes because nowhere  else wants to claim Manchester either.

?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I learned what a catamite is. Never heard or read it before. A word that has escaped me til this week

Thanks Guy Burgess.... I can't say it's an easy word to lever into conversation.

Oh, I don't know, RE.  How about "I daren't let my pet mouse out of its cage, as there's a risk the catamite chase it."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I learned what a catamite is. Never heard or read it before. A word that has escaped me til this week

Thanks Guy Burgess.... I can't say it's an easy word to lever into conversation.

It sounds like a range of mountains 

”going away this year?”

“Though we might try for some skiing later in the Catamites”

”I’ve heard they’re quite hard to get up”

”how about going down?”

image.jpeg.b0b7ab1055ed730a764b6bbcbc5e66e0.jpeg

• Haha 2

I just got 2 new external hard drives delivered - 4 terabytes each.

I can remember how pleased I felt when I freed up a whole single megabyte of computer storage.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I can remember how pleased I felt when I freed up a whole single megabyte of computer storage.

My first PC had 8mb RAM and a 100mb hard drive and hardly ever crashed. Those were the days ??

12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

My first PC had 8mb RAM and a 100mb hard drive and hardly ever crashed. Those were the days ??

The first computer I used was an Olivetti, and you put one 8 inch floppy disc in to boot up, then replaced it with another one to load the word-processing software.

It felt like the future. For a while.

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

46 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I got a 5 terabyte external drive for my sons PS4 (definitely not mine ?) when I learnt that GTA version whatever took up near on 100gb of the 250gb on the internal drive ?

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I remember in 1997 trying to persuade my IT manager to upgrade my hard drive to 1Gb. He refused on the grounds that I would never fill a whole gig

On 23/05/2020 at 19:01, Futtocks said:

The first computer I used was an Olivetti, and you put one 8 inch floppy disc in to boot up, then replaced it with another one to load the word-processing software.

I remember Olivetti computers. I had one from Radio Rentals when I was a young squaddie in the early 90s. It had an excessively high spec 1/2MB graphics card, 50MB hard drive and I can’t remember the RAM spec. 

Prior to that, my trusty Spectrum was my long lasting computer. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Lots of ambulances going up and down the sea front, none of them seem to be in a rush, the only one who but the blue lights on was when he was in traffic, and used the bus lane to by pass the queue, once he got through the traffic lights, the lights went off, at one point there was 3 ambulances in a queue, one behind the other.

On 23/05/2020 at 19:01, Futtocks said:

I was watching one of the FA Cup final repeats, it was early 80's, and one of the advert boards in the corner was for "Tulip Computers", I wonder what happened to them.

I can imagine the scenario, 1986...

"Ah, this computer thing is never going to take off, they are far too slow & expensive, I propose we sell up & buy shares in De Lorean."