Uninteresting Trivial Facts

2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I was watching one of the FA Cup final repeats, it was early 80's, and one of the advert boards in the corner was for "Tulip Computers", I wonder what happened to them.

I can imagine the scenario, 1986...

"Ah, this computer thing is never going to take off, they are far too slow & expensive, I propose we sell up & buy shares in De Lorean."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_Computers

Ah, answered my own question.

On 20/05/2020 at 09:36, Shadow said:

36D11EC9-DD7C-4AC2-BEAC-67D7AEB115D6.jpeg

Someone was observed trying to steal the village sign over the weekend.

it quite frequently disappears, local wisdom suggests it’s in the back of some grockle’s caravan

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

Someone was observed trying to steal the village sign over the weekend.

it quite frequently disappears, local wisdom suggests it’s in the back of some grockle’s caravan

Not me, squire, honest!

On 25/05/2020 at 00:21, ckn said:

Boobytrap is partyboob spelled backwards. 

The only problem, ckn, with including that on this thread is that, actually, it's quite interesting...well, to me it is!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

The only problem, ckn, with including that on this thread is that, actually, it's quite interesting...well, to me it is!

In that track, here's something slightly less interesting

Bananas without the b is pineapple in many languages

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 23/05/2020 at 21:49, Shadow said:

He refused on the grounds that I would never fill a whole gig

I always wondered if you were really Bob Geldof?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-397389/Geldof-cancels-tour-45-12-000-seater-arena.html

?

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I've just experienced my third power-cut in a fortnight. It's a bit like living in the Seventies again, a decade that shaped my instincts sufficiently that, within seconds of the lights going "phut", I had located the emergency candle supply and illuminated the room.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have never "broke the glass" in the case of an emergency- although I have always wanted to just to see what happens the situation has never come about , and in any case- what would I have broken the glass with?

Edited by graveyard johnny

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

16 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I have never "broke the glass" in the case of an emergency- although I have always wanted to just to see what happens the situation has never come about , and in any case- what would I have broken the glass with?

image.thumb.jpeg.8086c940ad9ae29f97f5102dbe3e295b.jpeg

19 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I saw it done once, when I collapsed on a train coming into London. A guy by the door used his elbow to break the glass. I was actually back up on my feet by then, but he'd probably always wanted to do it.

Looking closer, a lot of those glass panes are scored these days, for a cleaner, easier break.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

I saw it done once, when I collapsed on a train coming into London. A guy by the door used his elbow to break the glass. I was actually back up on my feet by then, but he'd probably always wanted to do it.

Looking closer, a lot of those glass panes are scored these days, for a cleaner, easier break.

thinking about it didn't the ones in the early 80s have a little hammer attached on a string dangling? have I imagined this?

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

thinking about it didn't the ones in the early 80s have a little hammer attached on a string dangling? have I imagined this?

Some trains had a mini all-metal hammer for breaking the windows to escape. No idea how effective they were, though, because they always looked a bit small. Like a toffee hammer.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Some trains had a mini all-metal hammer for breaking the windows to escape. No idea how effective they were, though, because they always looked a bit small. Like a toffee hammer.

there to reassure more than practicality prob

On 02/06/2020 at 19:46, Futtocks said:

If you used one, you would have to wrap your hand up before, or slash it to ribbons when the window shattered, safety glass or not.

Edited by Bleep1673

For the first time in 35 years I have slept somewhere without a streetlight right outside my living space, the council are replacing the streetlights along the seafront, and didn't have time to finish the one out side my flat, so they left it switched off, oh it was bliss, I got 8 hours sleep for the first time in months.

What a beautiful Moon last night, apparently it is called a Strawberry Moon, because of the pale pink hue. It was a close, really clear view that made me sit on the sea front and watch it play peek-a-boo through the clouds, until I realised it was 0130, and had to go to bed.

Thank you Dara O'Brien & Prof Brian Cox for going on The One Show, and pointing it out, I am looking forward to tonight's showing.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to check my PAYG Electric meter last night, I thought I may be running low, but my next UC payment isn't due until Wednesday, so I was expecting to put an emergency £5 on it. When I got to my meter, which is outside in a communal bunker, it read £0.00, so I went back inside and got my payment key, and inserted it, expecting it to say -£5.00. What I had forgotten, was that I must have put £20 on it last week when I got my PIP, and was pleasantly surprised when my meter suddenly read +£20.00. Very happy.

47 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I went to check my PAYG Electric meter last night, I thought I may be running low, but my next UC payment isn't due until Wednesday, so I was expecting to put an emergency £5 on it. When I got to my meter, which is outside in a communal bunker, it read £0.00, so I went back inside and got my payment key, and inserted it, expecting it to say -£5.00. What I had forgotten, was that I must have put £20 on it last week when I got my PIP, and was pleasantly surprised when my meter suddenly read +£20.00. Very happy.

We just had our meters changed. You used to have to buy a top-up card from the landlord or one long-time resident, as they weren't available from shops. I had a few worrying times when both of them were on holiday at the same time.

With the new meters, you can buy vouchers from the corner shop or on-line. Much less stress when you notice your meter readings are getting low.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

We just had our meters changed. You used to have to buy a top-up card from the landlord or one long-time resident, as they weren't available from shops. I had a few worrying times when both of them were on holiday at the same time.

With the new meters, you can buy vouchers from the corner shop or on-line. Much less stress when you notice your meter readings are getting low.

Most non-PAYG meters are now, a) wildly wrong estimates or b) overpriced direct debit, I am quite happy with key meter, I can control how much I spend each month, approx £40 in summer £60 in winter.

I'd been estimated for almost 2 years (bought my flat in July 18) and i'd never bothered to read the meter and nobody had been out. My bills are low so i just never gave it a thought but then during lockdown it jumped up by quite a bit, despite me living in a 2 bed on my own. I went and checked and I was so far under their estimation that I got a £450 refund.

I'll be giving them a reading every month now but had they not been so ridiculous with their estimates, they'd have carried on fleecing me. I guess we're both fools there.

Edited by andyscoot