Uninteresting Trivial Facts

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

Here’s an interesting fact

The James Webb telescope has discovered a planet that appears to be covered in odd socks, billions of them

To be honest, Omega, I am not entirely convinced that "Here's an interesting fact" is a good way to start a contribution to this thread, given its title, without opening yourself up to accusations of thread drift.  Just saying...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

To be honest, Omega, I am not entirely convinced that "Here's an interesting fact" is a good way to start a contribution to this thread, given its title, without opening yourself up to accusations of thread drift.  Just saying...

Correct!

for what it’s worth here’s my theory on the sock planet

we put PAIRS of socks into a washing machine, the spin cycle actually opens up a small vortex just big enough to suck in a single small item which exits the vortex at the other end which is somewhere on the surface of the sock planet.

This explains where our sock goes and why we all have an odd sock in the washing pile.

The upside of this is that should we ever fathom this out we could sort out all the transport issues of the world, save money on HS2 and go a long way to solving the climate crisis.

2 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Correct!

for what it’s worth here’s my theory on the sock planet

we put PAIRS of socks into a washing machine, the spin cycle actually opens up a small vortex just big enough to suck in a single small item which exits the vortex at the other end which is somewhere on the surface of the sock planet.

This explains where our sock goes and why we all have an odd sock in the washing pile.

The upside of this is that should we ever fathom this out we could sort out all the transport issues of the world, save money on HS2 and go a long way to solving the climate crisis.

Very interesting theory. I personally have odd socks in the wash because I always forget to get the stiff ones out from underneath the bed where I've deposited them the previous night after use. 

• 1 month later...

I've found the limits of AI. I watched a tourist video of two people from Scotland going to a koala park in Qld. I switched on the closed captions and it just couldn't do it. Most of the dialogue was blank and I think most of the stuff it picked up was wrong.

• Haha 1

I have lived in the same house here in Adelaide for 16 years and never used the bath!

The house we live in is twice as big as the one we had back in Cas - cue for witty comments from posters- but the bath is only two thirds the size than back in blighty.  So the bath has only been used by the dogs we have had.  Every house I have visited over here either just has a shower or a bath of similar proportion to ours.

P.S. We do have showers in the house in case you thought I was a typical Cas lad 😄

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rachel Riley brightens up every work morning for me  while I  enjoy  cuppa and a chill before I set off for the daily grind 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

13 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Rachel Riley brightens up every work morning for me  while I  enjoy  cuppa and a chill before I set off for the daily grind 

I’m a morning countdown fan as well. Rachel and Susie at 6.05

I got aroused the other day.

Seven letters, quite good I thought.

• Haha 4

I've given you a laughing emoji, Shadow, but I really think you should go on the naughty step for that one.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

• 4 weeks later...

Third blistering hot day on the trot. Working in my conservatory. Plastic roof, it's like being in a Japanese Torture Gameshow. Down to my last two Magnums. I'm having to go to Tesco  this afternoon to top up my stash.

I hope they sell guns.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• 1 month later...

I've always said I'd pay money to watch a Welsh team play tiddlywinks.

Well, today I am watching Wales v Sri Lanka on Sky ... my first ever game of Netball,

It's a strange game ... both sides have a giant woman up front to catch the final pass and plonk the ball in the basket.

Neither team has a giant woman to play at the back to disturb the catch and plonk.

Neither team sends it's giant woman back to block the other team's giant woman.

Anyway, it's more boring than tiddlywinks.

Edited by Wolford6

9 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Well, today I am watching Wales v Sri Lanka on Sky ... my first ever game of Netball,

It's a strange game ... both sides have a giant woman up front to catch the final pass and plonk the ball in the basket.

Neither team has a giant woman to play at the back to disturb the catch and plonk.

Netball can be an interesting game to watch for about 10 minutes, and not just for the long legs and short skirts.

IIRC, the rules are a bit fiddly. You're not allowed to take a step while holding the ball (makes the players pass the ball on very quickly). You're not allowed to prevent a player from taking a shot at the net (means there is no point in sending a tall player to stop an opponent's shot). Players are restricted to which part of the court they can play in (means defenders can't attack and attackers can't defend).

It's at least 40 years since I had any involvement in netball, so the rules may have changed. My involvement was as a student, when us boys took on the girls - we got slaughtered - and as a teacher when I occasionally covered as second umpire in 'tournaments'.

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Roger Daltrey once claimed to be able to see the Eiffel Tower and the Taj Mahal but, because of the curve of the Earth and all the various mountains in the way, it's not possible to see them both from London. He was lying.

2 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Roger Daltrey once claimed to be able to see the Eiffel Tower and the Taj Mahal but, because of the curve of the Earth and all the various mountains in the way, it's not possible to see them both from London. He was lying.

Curviture of the Earth?! The Earth's flat!! Now who's lying?? 😉

I woke up this morning with 2 flea bites on my left ankle - I dont know if it was done by 2 separate fleas or the same one during the night and probably will never know.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

What's happened to own-brand big jars of pickled cabbage and pickled beetroot. The supermarkets only have small jars at really high prices. I expect you can get imported stuff at Polish shops but their brands are always soggy and sweet.

This is a national emergency and if Sunak doesn't do something about it, he'll lose seats all across the rustbelt.

On 30/07/2023 at 09:39, Wolford6 said:

On 30/07/2023 at 19:27, tonyXIII said:

Netball can be an interesting game to watch for about 10 minutes, and not just for the long legs and short skirts.

IIRC, the rules are a bit fiddly. You're not allowed to take a step while holding the ball (makes the players pass the ball on very quickly). You're not allowed to prevent a player from taking a shot at the net (means there is no point in sending a tall player to stop an opponent's shot). Players are restricted to which part of the court they can play in (means defenders can't attack and attackers can't defend).

It's at least 40 years since I had any involvement in netball, so the rules may have changed. My involvement was as a student, when us boys took on the girls - we got slaughtered - and as a teacher when I occasionally covered as second umpire in 'tournaments'.

England have made a World Cup Final.

• Like 1

Where I live in Bradford is about 200 metres from fields and trees. I've got 3 trees in my garden. I feed the birds but haven't seen a jay for at least 10 years.

I went to Skipton yesterday and there was a pair scratting for food in Tesco's carpark.

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Grant Shapps is a cousin of Mick Jones of the Clash.

Shapps' brother played in Big Audio Dynamite.

And Joe Strummer's brother was David Mellor. Just not that David Mellor.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson