Uninteresting Trivial Facts

More mug news, I have one of the aluminium travel mugs, because it hold more than most other mugs, I have "Dymo"ed my name on the side of it, so no-one would touch it if I left it on the side of the kitchen, unlikely as I normally keep it in my work rucksack, with my teabags & Sugar (I work for the NHS, they don't supply tea & Coffee & sugar for staff anymore)

I shouted at the radio when the American (maybe Canadian) dj on smooth radio referred to 2007 as "twenty oh seven". Dick.

Not something I do but if you consider the numbering convention for years prior to 2000 was to use two 2-digit numbers then what is the problem?

Fides invicta triumphat

Not something I do but if you consider the numbering convention for years prior to 2000 was to use two 2-digit numbers then what is the problem?

Buried deep in the AOB pages is a "things that annoy you for no particular reason" thread. This is it.

Pah, quit living in the past maaaan! No-one said "nineteen hundred and ninety nine" because it was daft. "twenty ten" is when we were allowed to use this terminology on occasion, 2000-2009 no, speak proper like us do. Bah humbug.

My latest chin wig is coming along nicely.  Going for one of those long goatee numbers and nearly at the putting it into bunches / plaits stage.

Wife deeply unimpressed although a little amused.

I never said she stole my money.

Say that sentence by putting emphasis on a different word every time.  One sentence, 7 meanings.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I just filed my company accounts for one of my two companies, it took me the grand sum of 5 minutes to fill in all the boxes on the online form.  AND it did my Corporation Tax return at the same time!

Far easier than the old days of having to spend my weekend formatting the thing, double checking that the figures match, checking it a third time just to be sure, printing it, checking it a fourth time to make sure it has printed properly, taking it to the post office and sending it in registered delivery.  Then having to fill in yet another form to do a Corp Tax return with all of the same worry about it being right.

A government IT tool that works properly?  Can't be right, can it?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Spent the day revising CISCO router labs...  exam soon I think!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I've got the VAT lady coming to see me on 30th May.

She wants 4 years books.

We've only been going 3.

This may not end well.

Hints:

- Be helpful

- give everything asked for with a smile

- be prepared to prove everything with indisputable proof in the form of bank statements or third party receipts.

- best tea, china and biscuits!

I walked out of mine with them issuing me a refund cheque because I'd been too cautious in recovering some VAT on expenditure that I thought was marginal.

The VAT people are by far the most helpful of all HMRC employees but if you give them the slightest hint that you're hiding something then you could be there for days going through every single penny of expenditure and revenue.

Hints:

- Be helpful

- give everything asked for with a smile

- be prepared to prove everything with indisputable proof in the form of bank statements or third party receipts.

- best tea, china and biscuits!

I walked out of mine with them issuing me a refund cheque because I'd been too cautious in recovering some VAT on expenditure that I thought was marginal.

The VAT people are by far the most helpful of all HMRC employees but if you give them the slightest hint that you're hiding something then you could be there for days going through every single penny of expenditure and revenue.

To be fair to HMRC I've never found them to be anything other than completely helpful, my only concern is the MD who is what I can only describe as a tw@ of the highest order and I could easily see him trying to be clever with them, which could have a very tedious result.

I've got the VAT lady coming to see me on 30th May.

She wants 4 years books.

We've only been going 3.

This may not end well.

You may have to win her over with your charm and wit.

Been nice knowing you.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

To be fair to HMRC I've never found them to be anything other than completely helpful, my only concern is the MD who is what I can only describe as a tw@ of the highest order and I could easily see him trying to be clever with them, which could have a very tedious result.

If the MD is obstructive to them then he may find that he coincidentally gets a "random" personal tax audit as well in the next few months.  Now, those HMRC employees are a wee bit less friendly...