Uninteresting Trivial Facts

On 16/06/2020 at 22:44, Bleep1673 said:

Wehrner von Braun who was the rocket scientist behind the NASA programme died today 16.06 in 1977. BBC 4 are showing the last part of 6 of Chasing the Moon tonight, coincidence?

Rocket scientist and pretty much all round war criminal 

Jack Dempsey was born 125 years ago today . The man idolised by Mike Tyson , unsurprisingly since he was so ferocious and brutal Gene Tunney was convinced he was trying to kill him in the ring 

17 hours ago, DavidM said:

I don't agree that he was a war criminal, anymore than Luftwaffe bomber pilots were. He/They targeted civilian populations much as the same as Bomber Harris did in Germany, was he prosecuted for his war crimes? Harris killed more than von Braun did.

Edited by Bleep1673

17 hours ago, DavidM said:

Describe a war criminal. Von Braun was a scientist who had a secret, rocket propulsion, he was not complicit in any of the Nazi extermination progammes, neither was he aware of them, von Braun surrendered to the US forces, and surrendered his rocket technological ideas as soon as he was captured, he didn't try and make a run for it, like many Nazi's, or hide in a bunker, he had an idea, and was willing to share it with a free world. USA jumped at the chance. Soviet Union got the papers first though, that is why Gagarin was first man into space, and Sputnik was the first man made satellite.

7 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Describe a war criminal. Von Braun was a scientist who had a secret, rocket propulsion, he was not complicit in any of the Nazi extermination progammes, neither was he aware of them, von Braun surrendered to the US forces, and surrendered his rocket technological ideas as soon as he was captured, he didn't try and make a run for it, like many Nazi's, or hide in a bunker, he had an idea, and was willing to share it with a free world. USA jumped at the chance. Soviet Union got the papers first though, that is why Gagarin was first man into space, and Sputnik was the first man made satellite.

Really ? Up to 20,000 people - slave labour - died making those weapons from a concentration camp he  visited up to 15 times

Edited by DavidM

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

and how many of those would've died in the labour camps?

I’ve no idea but that’s not much of a defence is it ? As time went on late in the war he was so far in he couldn’t do anything , but he made his choices to get that far . He was so obsessed with his work he just carried on regardless . He was just to valuable and of too much  use to stand trial 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Really ? Up to 20,000 people - slave labour - died making those weapons from a concentration camp he  visited up to 15 times

I am not putting him up as a hero, but he wasn't a nasty Nazi, otherwise why would the USA/NASA employ him? Unless they are complicit in Nazi exploitation

2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I am not putting him up as a hero, but he wasn't a nasty Nazi, otherwise why would the USA/NASA employ him? Unless they are complicit in Nazi exploitation

Ah, now I see the foil in my argument, the USA has always been anti-semetic, anti-black, anti-hispanic. sorry

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

Understood . The western allies employed many ‘nasty’ Nazis , as did the soviets . They wanted the skills they had . It’s a really interesting area of study , what happened at the end of the war . One war quickly morphed into another , with different enemies and different friends 

• Thanks 1

At the risk of making this thread too exciting and fascinating, I've just bought a new kettle.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

At the risk of making this thread too exciting and fascinating, I've just bought a new kettle.

on that subject the last 4 people to reach 100 in the care home where my sister works have never drank tea or coffee

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I went to a farm yesterday where the cows "milk themselves".

They voluntarily enter a booth where a robotic machine cleans the udder, laser guided suction tubes  lock onto the teats and the milk is sucked into a holding tank with a test-tube sample taken from each cow's delivery.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

15 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

They voluntarily enter a booth where a robotic machine cleans the udder, laser guided suction tubes  lock onto the teats and the milk is sucked into a holding tank with a test-tube sample taken from each cow's delivery.

I saw a documentary about a farm like that, I think it might have been one of those inside the factory things or something like that. 

15 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Double post. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought an electric toaster.

More than 50 summers in this vale of tears, and I've never owned one before.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson