Sign in to follow this  
James Vukmirovic

Uninteresting Trivial Facts

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

No, it’s over 250 miles away from Bradford :kolobok_biggrin:

When you have a poo in Bradford, most sewers  feed Esholt Sewage Works. In case of failure or flood, the sewage works has to open the sluice gates to the River Aire which flows to ...

Leeds ?

[Hmmm, my stomach seems to be rumbling a bit this morning ...]

• Haha 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

7 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

When you have a poo in Bradford, most sewers  feed Esholt Sewage Works. In case of failure or flood, the sewage works has to open the sluice gates to the River Aire which flows to ...

Leeds ?

[Hmmm, my stomach seems to be rumbling a bit this morning ...]

Shipping all the sh#t from Bradford to Leeds presumably improves the conditions on both cities

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Shipping all the sh#t from Bradford to Leeds presumably improves the conditions on both cities

House prices in Leeds are much higher than Bradford. Coprophilia, I expect.

10 hours ago, Shadow said:

My village name has featured in virtually every land battle of the 20th and 21st centuries

36D11EC9-DD7C-4AC2-BEAC-67D7AEB115D6.jpeg

On 05/05/2020 at 22:34, The Hallucinating Goose said:

There is a city in South-Eastern Turkey called Batman. 

From 1835 till 1837 the newly found settlement of Melbourne was called Batmania in honour of one of its founders, John Batman.

6 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Does your wife boss you about?

Doesn't everyone's wife boss them about?

7 hours ago, Shadow said:

36D11EC9-DD7C-4AC2-BEAC-67D7AEB115D6.jpeg

Spooky or what?

On the Spuggies and jackdaws thread Robin posted that he’d heard a cuckoo. Out of interest I googled cuckoo, I haven’t heard one for years. This is what google came up with

https://www.birdspot.co.uk/?p=24426

Before today I’d never heard of Nomansland.

Do you know Mr Lankford?

Edited by Moose

10 minutes ago, Moose said:

Spooky or what?

On the Spuggies and jackdaws thread Robin posted that he’d heard a cuckoo. Out of interest I googled cuckoo, I haven’t heard one for years. This is what google came up with

Do you know Mr Lankford?

I don't know him but I think I've spoken to his wife on the village facebook page 

Mrs Shadow and I were out for a walk on Sunday across the open area behind the sign in my post and heard a cuckoo. 

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I don't know him but I think I've spoken to his wife on the village facebook page 

Mrs Shadow and I were out for a walk on Sunday across the open area behind the sign in my post and heard a cuckoo. 

That's nothing. I hear one every half hour and again on the hour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

52 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Doesn't everyone's wife boss them about?

I only tried marriage once. Since then, I've never met anyone rich enough to make me want to try again.

?

Out of interest, in 1974 when county lines were changed, do the people of Earby still count themselves as White Rose?

When I am asked where I was born, I still say Salford, Lancashire. Because Salford was in Lancashire in 1962.

Edited by Bleep1673

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

For the first time in quite a long while, I've looked at my full TRL "ignore" list. There are a small handful who go on and off the list temporarily, when they are being silly, obnoxious or, even worse, obsessively dull.

But the majority don't need to be on there any more, as they (and their sockpuppets) have since been banned.

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

On 20/05/2020 at 16:51, Moose said:

Spooky or what?

Do you know Mr Lankford?

Nomansland is in the New Forest; for those of you not familiar with that area, the landscape in Shadow's picture of the Nomansland village sign is very typical, with its mix of short grass areas, called lawns, plants such as bracken, and trees, often a mix of deciduous and coniferous.

This is a good landscape for cuckoos, Moose, even nowadays when they are much less common.

Coincidentally, four hours ago, my wife, daughter-in-law and I were walking our dog at Fritham Plain, which Shadow will know well, as its all of about three miles from him.  It rarely disappoints in terms of cuckoos in April and May and today was no exception; we heard three and saw two of them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moose said:

It looks and sounds a delightful place.

The New Forest is great, Moose - well worth considering from a 'home' holiday (I cannot bring myself to use that awful contrivance, 'staycation'!) once the current situation eases.  Nomansland is good and has a well regarded (I think, Shadow) local pub called The Lamb.  During lockdown, my family occasionally gets a takeaway dinner and tonight we got one from one of the pubs offering this service during the current crisis.  We almost chose The Lamb, but opted for the Horse & Groom at Woodgreen, another lovely New Forest village.

In the spirit of this being a trivial facts thread, I can also report that 'Nomansland' is the destination display on a model of a 1950s Hants & Dorset single-decker bus that you can buy!  Here is the link:

http://www.modelbuszone.co.uk/efe/sd/163/16320.html

9 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

The New Forest is great, Moose - well worth considering from a 'home' holiday (I cannot bring myself to use that awful contrivance, 'staycation'!) once the current situation eases.  Nomansland is good and has a well regarded (I think, Shadow) local pub called The Lamb.  During lockdown, my family occasionally gets a takeaway dinner and tonight we got one from one of the pubs offering this service during the current crisis.  We almost chose The Lamb, but opted for the Horse & Groom at Woodgreen, another lovely New Forest village.

In the spirit of this being a trivial facts thread, I can also report that 'Nomansland' is the destination display on a model of a 1950s Hants & Dorset single-decker bus that you can buy!  Here is the link:

http://www.modelbuszone.co.uk/efe/sd/163/16320.html

I can confirm all of the above, The Lamb is a very nice local pub, as is the other local coincidentally named the Cuckoo. If Narnia had a pub it would look like the Cuckoo. Sadly the Cuckoo has only limited catering facilities so is shut completely.

Fritham is an area I know well, it's a favourite running route and if I'm feeling really energetic I can run there from home. There is a great pub there as well, The Royal Oak. 

In the spirit of the thread, the Village of Nomansland is in Wiltshire but the Village Cricket ground opposite the Lamb is in Hampshire.
The county line used to go through the Pub putting one bar in Hampshire and one in Wiltshire which meant they kept one bar open an extra half an hour.

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

I can confirm all of the above, The Lamb is a very nice local pub, as is the other local coincidentally named the Cuckoo. If Narnia had a pub it would look like the Cuckoo. Sadly the Cuckoo has only limited catering facilities so is shut completely.

Fritham is an area I know well, it's a favourite running route and if I'm feeling really energetic I can run there from home. There is a great pub there as well, The Royal Oak. 

In the spirit of the thread, the Village of Nomansland is in Wiltshire but the Village Cricket ground opposite the Lamb is in Hampshire.
The county line used to go through the Pub putting one bar in Hampshire and one in Wiltshire which meant they kept one bar open an extra half an hour.

Thanks, Shadow.  For some odd, illogical reason I completely forgot to mention The Cuckoo, though in 'normal' times, I drive past it three of four times a week.  You are right; it's a great pub, not least of all because of the comparative lack of emphasis on food.

9 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Out of interest, in 1974 when county lines were changed, do the people of Earby still count themselves as White Rose?

When I am asked where I was born, I still say Salford, Lancashire. Because Salford was in Lancashire in 1962.

I think you're on safe ground. I can't see anywhere  else wanting to claim Salford. The confusion comes because nowhere  else wants to claim Manchester either.

?

I learned what a catamite is. Never heard or read it before. A word that has escaped me til this week

Thanks Guy Burgess.... I can't say it's an easy word to lever into conversation.

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I learned what a catamite is. Never heard or read it before. A word that has escaped me til this week

Thanks Guy Burgess.... I can't say it's an easy word to lever into conversation.

Oh, I don't know, RE.  How about "I daren't let my pet mouse out of its cage, as there's a risk the catamite chase it."

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Oh, I don't know, RE.  How about "I daren't let my pet mouse out of its cage, as there's a risk the catamite chase it."

I'll give you that one!??