What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinky Friedman - Sold American

DJ QBert - Wave Twisters

Van der Graaf Generator - Trisector

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

grievous angel Gram Parsons

dog house seasick steve

edit: and now a crosby stills and nash remix compilation, with a much rockier version of suite: judy blue eyes.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

• 2 weeks later...

I've been given Herbie Hancock's 'River' album. Joni Mitchell songs, interpretated by HH, with the help of, among others, Leonard Cohen, Tina Turner, Norah Jones and Joni herself.

First two songs rather good, BTW, with Tina Turner stepping out of her usual persona to relax and stretch out with 'Edith and the Kingpin'.

I'll report back when I get my head round the rest of it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

In a record shop in Whitby today, I got:

• Mavis Staples - Have a little Faith
  • Archie Roach - Looking for Butterboy
  • Holger Czukay - Time and Tide

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi Futtocks! What were you doing in Whitby? It's hardly a music mecca. I didn't even know there was a record shop there. The last true record shop I remember there was on Golden Lion Bank and that's nearly 30 years ago! When it closed, the only place to buy records was Woolies, which had a lousy range.

As for listening, it's the old stuff for me. Right now I've The Nice's version of Dylan's "My Back Pages" playing, alternating with early Santana. Can't say I recognize yours, though - jazz/folk/rock/what?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Anyone watching Prog Rock Britannia on BBC4 in about 8 minutes, i.e. 10:00pm Friday?

A 90 minute documentary on the rise and fall of progressive rock. King Crimson, ELP, Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, Family, Jethro Tull etc.

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Prog Rock Britannia was interesting, covering the usual suspects, and a lot of insight from the mainly very well educated participants of the era, but nothing on Family, and somehow managed not to mention Van der Graaf Generator at all.

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Hi Futtocks! What were you doing in Whitby? It's hardly a music mecca. I didn't even know there was a record shop there. The last true record shop I remember there was on Golden Lion Bank and that's nearly 30 years ago! When it closed, the only place to buy records was Woolies, which had a lousy range.

As for listening, it's the old stuff for me. Right now I've The Nice's version of Dylan's "My Back Pages" playing, alternating with early Santana. Can't say I recognize yours, though - jazz/folk/rock/what?

I'm staying with my sister and we decided, after days of slobby, post-Christmas Royle Family impressions, to go to Whitby for Fish & Chips. Head over the main bridge to the South (Abbey) side and take the first left and the shop's on your right. Small but interesting - very little mainstream stuff.

As for the purchases and their genres, Archie Roach is an Aboriginal singer-songwriter (check out 'Summer of my Life' if you want your heart broken), Mavis Staples' album is a collection of protest songs, sung by one of the greatest voices in Soul and Holger Czukay was the nuttiest regular member of Krautrock titans Can.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sam And Dave - You Dont Know Like I know

Watched a fantastic documenrtry on Sky Arts about Stax Records over xmas, did any body catch it?

Like Sam & Dave? This is an excellent DVD of them.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm staying with my sister and we decided, after days of slobby, post-Christmas Royle Family impressions, to go to Whitby for Fish & Chips. Head over the main bridge to the South (Abbey) side and take the first left and the shop's on your right. Small but interesting - very little mainstream stuff.

As for the purchases and their genres, Archie Roach is an Aboriginal singer-songwriter (check out 'Summer of my Life' if you want your heart broken), Mavis Staples' album is a collection of protest songs, sung by one of the greatest voices in Soul and Holger Czukay was the nuttiest regular member of Krautrock titans Can.

I know the street well, it's called Sandgate, but it's a long time since I was there. I left Whitby in '98 and, though I visited again during winters '04/'05 and '05/'06, I didn't clock the record shop.

I used to be a fan of Krautrock. I still have albums by Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Neu, Amon Duul II and The Can. Monster Movie credits Holger Czukay as bassist. I caught one or two in concert as well. The best was Amon Duul II at the old Stoneground in Manchester around '71 or '72. Happy Days!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

I think I know the one you mean - I was looking in a couple of weeks ago and they had a decent looking ska compilation I was tempted to buy.

The Best of Sash.

Salford RLFC.

Les Diables Rouges Originaux 1934

Christopher Ellaby, my Dad, born 21 May 1920, died 4 August 2006.

Night Night God Bless Dad